Losing Credit Cards Abroad

Guest MelE

If you travel abroad frequently, make sure that you and your partner each have a unique credit card that the other doesn't have. Reason? One of you loses your wallet/handbag: you quickly phone up the security company that puts a stop on all your cards (Tip: keep the phone number unlabelled in the glove box). Your partner only has the same numbered cards: disaster - they've been stopped too! You now have no access to money or purchases! It happened to a friend and life was extremely difficult for 3 or 4 days until a new card arrived.

If you're travelling alone, have two separate credit cards and keep one in a secret place in the motorhome, just in case. Exercise it occasionally, so it isn't stoppe4d when you do need to use it.

Sound adice Mel One of our neighbors on their first trip to France had their handbag stolen - Off the table in the van It contained ALL their MONEY. PASSPORTS, Return ferry tickets. credit card, travellers cheques and house keys My advice is to keep an emergency amount hidden away from the day to day money We have a manufacturers built in (un)safe - that can be opened easily with a large screw driver I know of people ho keep money in that

Guest Keith T
We alwasy keep photocopiues of passport, driving licence, ferry tickets, insurance docs and Vehicle owneship form etc in a seprate place, and leave a set at home as well.

When we go abroad we have 2 different sets of credit cards, he keeps one set (mine & his with the same number), I keep the other set, we also split the Euros between us and, in addition, have a hiding place in the 'van for emergency money etc. We don't have a safe or anything like that as they are just to obvious for 'burglars' to look for and if they do try to get them out of the van in one piece to break into at their leisure later, they'll make a hell of a mess in your van. If you look around your 'van's you'll be amazed at the places you can find to slot in some small packages with money, photocopies etc in. Also, if you take tablets etc make sure you take extra amounts with you and hide these in the van as well - if you do get broken into the burglars will probably take whatever they can find including medicines so at least if you hide some you won't go short for a few days. I work on the premise that if anything is going to happen, it's more likely that you'll get burgled than have your motorhome actually stolen.

Archived