Disabled - Turny swivel seat

flicka

Has anyone any experience of these fitted in a Motorhome.

It is electric driven to swivel & lower the vehicle seat for Wheelchair users.

I came across it browsing for powerwheel chairs and it looks good in the pictures.

Any experiences good or bad, with guide to fitted cost, would be appreciated.

Hi Flicka, I saw one recently fitted as a passenger seat in a customers motorhome (not sure if its the exact same make as you've seen but thew description is similar) and it was very well engineered and didn't alter the basic seating position. As I recall the customer said it cost around £3500 fitted though.

D.

Thanks Dave & Derek

The one on Derek's post is the one I am looking at.

There are a couple of Dealers reasonably local to us.

But before I proceed (we have a new M/H on order for late March/April delivery) I am hoping someone on the forum has some experience of the product they are willing to share.

We are finding that despite VAT exemption on Disability equipment for my wife, the equipment appears to suffer from a "captive market" pricing attitude & therefore it is very easy to spend tremendous amouts of money for products, which do always translate to quality or appropriate for requirements.

I realise User experiences are specific to individuals conditions, but they are usually more explicit regardingenthusiasm for or shortcomings of the product.

The trouble is that this is a very limited market really which means almost bespoke equipment manufacturing and hence no cost savings by virtue of volume production. The one I saw was exceptionally well engineered (and probably heavy because of this too) with a single corded remote control with just two buttons, one for out one for in. On pressing the "out" button the seat swivelled to face the doorway and then extended before finally lowering to a normal wheelchair height. The "in" button gave a very smooth reversal of this motion.

My considerations were, in no particular order:

Cost of such a neat and well made piece of equipment for low volume.

Weight, some of the steel supporting sections were 10mm plus in thickness.

Power consumption, it took around a minute (if memory serves) to complete the transition from forward facing seated to out of the vehicle wheelchair height.

D.

We have used a Turny seat for the past 4 years and had no trouble with it. In your case, the main issue could be the base vehicle to which it is going to be fitted. We have a Fiat as the Ford's door doesn't open wide enough for the seat to travel out of the 'van. I would suggest you check the door opening before you go any further. Just a word of advice from a user.

If you have not already seen them, you will find some pictures of a Turney seat fitted to a motorhome on my web site at http://www.wheelgotravelling.info/Herald.html

Flicka,

I did make some enquires about this adaptation but have taken it no further. I have not heard any bad reports about it and it appears to be well made. Costs were of the order of £4000. I think the preference is to fit their own seat rather than adapt the motorhome one and the total fitted weight I was given was 80Kgm so you will need to check your payload and front axle loading.

Best to check out everthing with your chosen fitter.

Whose motorhome did you buy please and did you have any changes made to it ?

peedee

Hi Peedee

I have requested the Turny manufacturers' to end me some details as we could save the VAT if we have it fitted to the new M/H on order. As her condition is deteriorating the Turny appears to be a good solution for her access into the Motorhome. I must admit I am surprised regarding the weight of the unit. So as you say I need to check payload on the front axle, especially with all that weight on the passenger side. This bares out Dave's comment regarding the thickness of the metal.

I understand the preferance to use their own seat is so that it can match the Carony wheelchair base (but waiting confirmation) It seems a waste to have the motorhome seat discarded and replace with another if it is not necessary.

We have ordered an Autocruise Sportstar. It's a new model 1st shown at the NEC in October.

Still under 20' (6.08m) and it has the advantage (for us) that the kitchen is not opposite the front dinette.

The transverse high level rear bed above the Garage can be used as a Double or 1/2 slides back to give a single. The Dinette front lounge converts to a transverse single, but as my wife is small, she will use the Drivers' cab seat swivelled round to give a wider lengthways single.This is the main difference versus the majority of the "Van" designated models. The nearest comparison we found was the Westfalia West Van, (same single/double rear bed option) Dethleffs Sunrise (fixed double at rear) & Chasson Flash 04 (rear bed can be adjusted to higher or lower positions)

It has a Garage (although the garage door is only 22" wide and may be too narrow for some wheelchairs/scooters)

We are having running boards fitted at the Cab doors and a double electric step at the habitation door. Ramps and tie-downs for the Garage. A Fiamma "D" handle at the habitation door and also a grap handle which will be internal at the side of the Kitchen.

We have included the Lux pack Plus Alarm, Rev Camera, etc..

Archived