satelite reception

w1ntersun

Hi,

Just for info we are at conil de la frontera between cadiz and Gibralta.

We come here every year for the Jan part of our winter trip and never managed to pick up bbc 1 2 itv and channel 4 but always picked up channel 5 .

This year, low and behold we have all the uk channels on the southern trasnsponder frequecy 12.129

Now what do I do with 100 pre recorded dvds

Richard

I'm a bit confused here. It's only S4C that's on 12129. Perhaps they saw a C4 programme on there?

As far as Freesat goes, all the BBC channels are still on 2d, except for BBC News (used to be BBC News 24) which has swapped to a pan-European beam (2B South). BBC Parliament and interactive streams are also on 2B.

C4 and C5 have now gone FTA on 2D, although Sky boxes still pick up C5 on the wider beam 2C.

ITV are still FTA on 2D, although several regions are available (only with a Sky box) on 2B north.

So basically there is no reason why reception of the majority of channels should have changed. Different dish, receiver, weather or location perhaps?

Hi

What size dish are you using. Thought you needed a large dish for ITV. BBC, etc down there. Before we left Benalmadena in December the picture was not perfect on a rainy day and we have a 1.3 mtr. dish. I know we have had channel 5 on Tarifa beach with a 65cm dish but the only BBC was parliament.

Sooty

I must be a cheapskate as I only have a manual 65cm dish. Still I would be interested to hear of your reception in other places nearby when you move off. We are having a solar panel fit by Leisure tech at Clitheroe before we leave for the south of Spain. May even see you sometime.

Have fun Sooty10

derek500 - 2009-01-04 11:38 AM

I'm a bit confused here. It's only S4C that's on 12129. Perhaps they saw a C4 programme on there?

As far as Freesat goes, all the BBC channels are still on 2d, except for BBC News (used to be BBC News 24) which has swapped to a pan-European beam (2B South). BBC Parliament and interactive streams are also on 2B.

C4 and C5 have now gone FTA on 2D, although Sky boxes still pick up C5 on the wider beam 2C.

ITV are still FTA on 2D, although several regions are available (only with a Sky box) on 2B north.

So basically there is no reason why reception of the majority of channels should have changed. Different dish, receiver, weather or location perhaps?

Could someone please shed some light on the Astra 2. My box show a sat called Astra 2A/2B/2D. It's easy to tune manually tune to this sat event as south as Agadir in the south of Morrocco.

Now Derek500 speaks of Astra 2B or Astra 2D. The decoder that I'm using displays a list of at least 50 satellites. Astra 2B or Astra 2D is not part of it.

Similarly I could not edit frequencies. I wanted to add/edit frequency 12129 unsuccessfully.

Frequencies are listed next to someting called TP Index.

As an example BBC World is on Satellite Astra 2A/2B/2D, TP index 92/163, frequency 11597 V 22000.

I'll be grateful for any assistance on this subject.

Abb, I would suggest a look at this site first, http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

Astra 2 (and eurobird1) are several satellites grouped together that apear as one, they have different 'beams' that are picked up diferently as you travel around here as example http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/astra2a.html

TP will mean transponder.

Manualy tuning your 'box' will depend on what make/model it is.

Abb - 2009-01-05 9:01 PM

Frequencies are listed next to someting called TP Index.

As an example BBC World is on Satellite Astra 2A/2B/2D, TP index 92/163, frequency 11597 V 22000.

I'll be grateful for any assistance on this subject.

Just to confuse you even more, BBC World is not on the Astra 2, but you will find it on Astra 1 at 19.2!!

Here's a little test to check what Astra you're receiving. Tune to Sky News. If you see the clock in the bottom left you're on Astra 2 at 28.2, if there is no clock you're on Astra 1 at 19.2.

Archived