Re-Mapping and insurance

JENIAN

I am thinking of having our Duetto (2001 Transit 2.4 diesel) re-mapped but have read/heard this can render our motorhome insurance invalid as the vehicle has been 'modified'. Has anybody had this done and does it affect your insurance. Thank you. Ian

Ian

You must declare any such modification to your insurance company, failure to do so will offer them the opportunity to declare you uncovered.

Any premium increase is up to the individual insurance company and in view of the variable results obtained by chipping and the chippers unregulated position in the marketplace, a quote could range from the OK to the very unreasonable.

Best advice is to speak to the insurers now and get their story direct from them, it is not much use asking our opinion, as we are not going to be insuring you.

Ian:

You may also need to be cautious over re-mapping 2000-onwards Transits. I vaguely remember a letter in MMM claiming that the ECU on certain models had anti-tamper software and damage could result if re-mapping were attempted. I'm pretty sure TB Turbo had information on this - unfortunately you can't ask them as they've ceased trading. It may be a false alarm, but might be worth checking before going ahead.

Archived