Processional Caterpillars

sailor girl

Firstly, apologies if there is already a thread on this. I've had a quick look at recent discussions and couldn't see one.

We're currently at Cabopino Campsite in Spain, an absolutely brilliant campsite in every way, apart from one thing - the dreaded processional caterpillars. The nests have started to appear in the last couple of weeks (we have FOUR nests in the tree on our pitch!) and the odd stray caterpillar has begun to show in the last few days. I've started feeling very uncomfortable about it all - particularly as we have a dog. We've had loads of advice from people on the site about how to be vigilant and careful - however, I'm starting to be inclined to head off elsewhere. We're thinking that if we move, we'd like to head for Tarifa or Cadiz or that vicinity for a month or so. Does anyone know if there's a nice campsite round there which doesn't have pine trees, and therefore won't have a problem like this?

Many thanks

Liz

Can I suggest that you point the nests out to the owner.

He, and/or the local Ajuntament (town council) has a legal duty to remove and destroy them.

I'd also suggest that whatever you do, don't start messing around with them yourself, particularly if there are semi-adult caterpillars inside them. As you probably know, the tiny hairs that cover their bodies are an INTENSE irritant to animal/human skin and respiratory passages.

Four years ago our dog almost died just from quickly sniffing for a moment at one of these caterpillars on the ground.

Within 30 minutes he could hardly breath at all, and only emergency (and of course expensive!) vet treatment within that first hour after exposure saved him.

There tends to be a new thread on this Processional Caterpillar issue in Spain, each year at about this time....they are a problem usually from about February to end of April, so it's good that you've raised it again for information to others once agin this year.

We had a string of them walking across our windscreen at Benicassim last year on Camping Azahar, we don't have a dog so I wasn't bothered, in fact I was told they are blind so I had a little play with them to find out, with a stick I removed the leader and put him by the side of the train and almost immediately the line broke to let him in third place,and off they went on their merry way, I still don't know if they are blind though. (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Here's a bit more info on these things whihc may be helpful for anyone planning a trip to southern France of Spain in the next 3 months:

Processional pine caterpillars or Thaumetopoea pityocampa are common to Spain and France.

Normally found nesting in the abundance of pine trees on hillsides in this area, they have a terrifying reputation.

So called because they travel nose to tail in a line, processional pine caterpillars are quite small, but they present a major danger to trees and animals, and can cause a very severe allergic reaction in humans.

The caterpillar’s ‘fur’ is where the danger lies. It is in fact a layer of poisonous harpoon-like spines that remain toxic even when the caterpillar has died.

The hairs can also become detached and float in the air if the caterpillar is disturbed, creating the risk of inhalation.

Great care must be taken when walking dogs in pine tree areas where the caterpillars may have marched as there is a possibility that some hairs may remain on the ground.

If one should drop on you or your pet from a tree, the advice is NOT to attempt to brush them off with your hands, as even touching them can cause a big reaction such as a rash or pain. In rare cases people have been known to suffer from anaphylactic shock, in the same way that people who are allergic to bee and wasp stings can.

If any hairs get into your eyes you could experience rapid swelling and soreness, similar to the symptoms of conjunctivitis. If you plan to go walking in areas where the caterpillars are rife, you might want to carry antihistamine tablets with you.

The caterpillars start life in silk cocoon style nests in pine trees. They inflict damage, stripping the trees of their needles, then leave the cocoon and seek out another tree on which to feed.

Most noticeable from January to mid April the caterpillars are at their most dangerous in mid to late February, when they can often be seen in the evenings going from tree to tree.

At the end of the winter months, the caterpillars will make their way down to the warm spots in the soil where they dig themselves into the ground in order to pupate. They may sometimes halt their development during this period, for up to three years, while awaiting favourable climatic conditions.

The moths that lay eggs are particularly attracted to the silhouette of a tree – especially if it stands alone. So, if you have a problem with caterpillars in your garden, it could be resolved by planting clumps of trees to deter the moths from laying eggs.

The damage to the trees themselves can be extensive. Young trees may even die, and saplings that are stripped of needles are more susceptible to secondary pests such as bark beetles and pine weevils.

It’s because of this potential damage from caterpillars that preventative and curative measures are taken in Spain to stop them becoming out of control.

Trapping by using G-traps baited with the pheromone pityolure is used to monitor population levels in summer.

Other methods employed include the destruction of winter nests by cutting or shooting and burning them, and the aerial application of insecticides during outbreaks.

(If you need any more info, you can google for "processional caterpillars" - there's plenty of info in English on them)

Thanks for all the advice etc. We've come across most of this already, but it's very useful for people who haven't!

Meanwhile, anyone got any answers to my original question? Heading west from here, towards Tarifa, Cadiz and possibly even Portugal, anyone know of any nice sites that are pine tree free, and therefore hopefully also caterpillar free??

Thanks again

Liz

libby - 2009-01-05 9:54 PM

Are there any more delicacies in Spain like venomous snakes, spiders, hornets, midges and sharks, waiting for the eager camper?

Ummmm...........

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

And ...yes.

Enjoy. :-D

Not sure about the sharks but bet all the rest exist! Plus lots of ticks which are really nasty for humans too.

Back to the danger to dogs for anyone new to this subject. In the hope of prevention against the caterpillars I bought a specially treated collar, used Frontline and another spot on product - unfortunately I cannot remember the names but a Google search should find them or ask the vet. Not cheap. I think I paid about £40 in all but it was worth it for the peace of mind.

Patricia - 2009-01-05 11:08 PM

Not sure about the sharks but bet all the rest exist! Plus lots of ticks which are really nasty for humans too.

Back to the danger to dogs for anyone new to this subject. In the hope of prevention against the caterpillars I bought a specially treated collar, used Frontline and another spot on product - unfortunately I cannot remember the names but a Google search should find them or ask the vet. Not cheap. I think I paid about £40 in all but it was worth it for the peace of mind.

Hi Patricia - I'm guessing, but I suspect the special collar you are referring to is to prevent Leishmania infection (Leishmaniosis in Spanish), rather than to prevent against contact with the tiny hairs of processional caterpillars here.

I'm completely unaware of any type of collar that could stop a dog sniffing at a caterpillar on the ground.

You might be confusing the two things maybe?

Leishmania is a desease carried by sandflies on/around beaches and coastal areas, that can easily be transferred to dogs by the bite of these tiny sandflies.

The sandlfy season is mainly summertime (late April to end September I think). The dog gets the Leishmania desease into its blood if the sandfly bites it and passes it on.

The protective collar, usually called a "scalibor" collar, contains a chemical smell that deters sandflies from settling on the dogs fur. The collars efficacy lasts for about 4 months. Available from vets here, or in the UK, or via ebay.

I recall that there is an old thread on this Leishmania subject from a few months ago, called something like "travelling abroad with a dog"

Bruce thank you for putting me right. Certainly that is the name of the collar but I must be mistaken then about its use. I am sure you are correct and that it is to prevent leishmania (and other things I believe). Must say I have a real horror of these caterpillars (not the UK type).

Advantix is also recommended for prevention of leishmania and ticks and

Advocate should protect against heartworm.

Good job that I'm not a vet - I can never remember the names of products (or people if it comes to that!).

Before going to Spain I spoke with the senior partner at my vets. He had never had a client returning from Spain (with a dog) that had reported a problem with these caterpillars. He had also never read any article in professional publications re this problem. His advice was when in Spain, Portugal or southern France visit a local vet and ask advice on what to due should your animal have contact or if you think that contact has occurred.

Then act on the advice as the local vets will be aware of local problems and the appropiate treatment.

I've met a couple with a Jack Russell that had to have part of its tongue removed because of contact and a man who had one fall down the collar of his shirt and had a very painful rash for weeks afterwards.

You certainly need to treat these beggars with respect! One site I've been on cuts the nests out and burns them. If they see them on the ground a squirt of lighter fuel and a match seems to due the trick!

starvin marvin - 2009-01-06 8:27 PM

Before going to Spain I spoke with the senior partner at my vets. He had never had a client returning from Spain (with a dog) that had reported a problem with these caterpillars. He had also never read any article in professional publications re this problem. His advice was when in Spain, Portugal or southern France visit a local vet and ask advice on what to due should your animal have contact or if you think that contact has occurred.

Then act on the advice as the local vets will be aware of local problems and the appropiate treatment.

I've met a couple with a Jack Russell that had to have part of its tongue removed because of contact and a man who had one fall down the collar of his shirt and had a very painful rash for weeks afterwards.

You certainly need to treat these beggars with respect! One site I've been on cuts the nests out and burns them. If they see them on the ground a squirt of lighter fuel and a match seems to due the trick!

My vet hadn't heard of the problem either but gave me the same advice re heartworm in France. That's ok as I speak French but I wouldn't get very far in Spain with my few words of Spanish!

With regard to the advice to burn the creatures I read an interesting article written by someone living in Spain and he advised very strongly against the practice as the spines shoot out of the fire all over the place. As has been advised it seems like a job for the experts.

Hairspray.

When walking your dog in pine woods in Spain in Spring time, just carry a can around with ya, guys; it's the business.

Carry it openly in a jaunty, confident way and your mincing gait and your pooch-walking will thus appear feminine and non-threatening, and you'll pull the girlies.

And just as an aside, if you then see a processional caterpillar trail or nest, you can spray it and stick the little buggers together without releasing their horrid nasty hairs......then leave 'em to die a hideous death, all stuck together.....

Don't then set light to them......hairspary burns like buggery apparently, and you'll likely end up with a 3 million euro bill after the Bomberos and Guardia and helicopters and water-planes all have to turn up to put out the whole hillside fire that you started.

Archived