freeview

harry pickin

Guest Tracker

You will probably need a directional aerial to get a Freeview picture unless you are in a very strong signal area, which most of the countryside where we all tend to camp is not!

The situation is promised to improve when the digital signal strength is raised as each area switches off the analogue signal.

We find that in most areas we can get one or the other with the telescopic roof mounted Status 530 aerial with its signal booster unless we are screened by trees or a building from direct line of sight to the transmitter.

The omni type of aerial never was much good for analogue anyway unless the signal was quite strong!

I agree with Richard.

Analogue signals are easier to pick up though quality may vary. With digital the signal is either there or not.

Our van had a Status 315 + booster fitted when we bought it. Sometimes we can receive signals and sometimes not. We bought a VP Image 530-18 aerial with booster & fittings which is more successful but not 100%.

Hopefully the promised improvement will come true as the analogue system is turned off.

Last January at Abbey Wood we could only receive analogue signals but the DigitalUK web site says that the area can now receive digital signals. We will be there again in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see what we can get - I wouldn't be surprised if the trees blocked the signal.

Graham

I have the same TV and normally use it to receive satellite TV but I have tested it here and in Spain with a 9 element TV Aeriel that I carry for when I'm in Spain and out of the satellite footprint(I'm a F1 fan) and it worked fine, way better picture than the usual analogue signal I receive. Special aerials are available from Roadpro but i thought I'd give my own solution a try and for me it works just fine.

Bill Ord

Hi Harry, I have one and have a booster. For the first few weeks I had terrible problems and took it back to where I bought it... they said a booster was no use with them and I needed one of those aerial that you can manouvre in different directions.

That was bottom of my financial list at the time, and I am glad because suddenly it seemed to sort itself out. Whether it was the newness of it or not I don't know, but the booster sorts is out find.

It could be, however, that you need one of thos aerials they spoke of, but it might be worth letting it break itself in first. Joy

Guest Tracker
Once you get a signal it should come up on screen and you should be able to follow it through but as it is not mentioned in the operators guide are you sure that you have digital capability on it as it is explained in our Avtex book that has both digital and analogue and it should be in yours too?

Archived