Best Dover - Calais summer deals?

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Jackal

It might be the size of the vehicle's that makes the diffrence in price. £79 is not bad in anyone's language. Best thing to happen when Norfolk Line started carrying cars & M/Hs it made the others cut their rates. A few years ago when i was green i paid £280 return Dover Calais for wife, daughter, mother & myself + cavilier

Dave

Cheers, Nowt (Dave).

I always suffer from that blessed "could do better" psychosis when it comes down to getting the best deal!

Since I became a member, I have found that the Caravan Club rates do seem some of the best out there. But always wonder!

Norfolk Line suits us as well because we usually head for Belgium and Dunkerque is ever so slightly further along the coast.

Jackal

I know what you mean (can i do better). I was gong to hang on a bit

thinking about the credit crunch, ie:- will the price get cheaper, then the good lady said are you serious, £45!! so i booked.

Hi Patricia

Portsmouth-Caen, £360 about same time as you, wife & myself + cavilier. I must admit though i do like Brittany Ferries.

Dave

Guest JudgeMental

Out of interest just looked a caravan club travel service and for the same time and dates from Eurotunnel, P&O and norfolk line the fares were way more then double what I could book for directly!

I know it's not Dover/Calais but out of interest I've just booked with P&O for the Hull-Zeebrugge crossing in May. I normally book direct on their website but this year I went via the Caravan Club and saved myself £20. When I suggested to the man at P&O that I could get exactly the same crossing cheaper through the Caravan Club and would they be prepared to match the price, he muttered something along the lines that the management had set the rates and they (the telephone sales staff) were not allowed to alter them. He added that the CC bought a bundle of tickets/crossings at a discount for the benefit of its members - so I availed myself of a small benefit!

Having said that, from Hull there is no real competition for P&O so I don't think there are any low cost alternatives like Dover/Calais.

Had a look at the crossings yesterday putting in a certain date in March for the outward journey and return in June. I used the same dates for each company. The cheapest was Norfolk Line - £35 return at inconvenient times, £40 at reasonable times. I tried P&O as an ordinary tourist -£72.75, then as a Unitholder (the change from shareholder) - £74!! Not much point in being a unitholder now then!!

I am also a unit holder with P&O. Don't even bother to look at their site now as it is invariably more expensive. Just booked on Norfolk line for £35 return plus £1 for paying by debit card and £0.02 fuel surcharge (what is that about?!) The only benefit to me, of being a P&O unit holder is likely to be 40% off the Bilbao route if I ever use it. Having used Norfolk line for the last few years I would reccomend  giving them a try.

Guest JudgeMental

P&O direct £66.75 CC for the same time and dates £237.00:-S

I have been a member for 2 years as it was a condition of Motorhome insurance and as yet have never managed to book a site or get a deal on a crossing for the date I require *-)

Stuwsmith - 2009-01-13 8:45 PM

I am also a unit holder with P&O. Don't even bother to look at their site now as it is invariably more expensive. Just booked on Norfolk line for £35 return plus £1 for paying by debit card and £0.02 fuel surcharge (what is that about?!) The only benefit to me, of being a P&O unit holder is likely to be 40% off the Bilbao route if I ever use it. Having used Norfolk line for the last few years I would reccomend  giving them a try.

Think I might use them in future. The fuel surcharge for P&O is £2.00 which isn't applied to the unitholder but the actual crossing price is dearer i.e. outward £37 instead of £31.25. Unfortunately I will never be able to use the Bilbao route as I take my dog and they don't carry animals on this route. To be truthful I prefer the tunnel because of the dog but it is so much dearer now. In fact my very best route is Portsmouth to Le Havre but of course they don't do that one now. Amazing that the French company can make a profit on this route and is actually expanding their business.

JudgeMental - 2009-01-13 9:04 PM

I have been a member for 2 years as it was a condition of Motorhome insurance and as yet have never managed to book a site or get a deal on a crossing for the date I require *-)

That is one dickens of the difference - you could go via Bilbao for £237! Did they make a mistake do you think?

Just realised you have a booking for £66.75 - how did you get it that cheap then?

Guest JudgeMental
Patricia - 2009-01-13 9:21 PM

JudgeMental - 2009-01-13 9:04 PM

That is one dickens of the difference - you could go via Bilbao for £237! Did they make a mistake do you think?

Just realised you have a booking for £66.75 - how did you get it that cheap then?

Your telling me! I just put the same dates and times into both sites and that is what I got....

We've just paid £38, (£76 actual price), for a P&O Dover - Calais return crossing at "nice" times in Sept.

This was discounted by 50% for us complaining at 2 sailings being cancelled last year and causing us quite an inconvienience.

It pays to complain...sometimes.

Well done P&O.

Martyn

Have been checking prices to make a booking for outward Mid May, return Mid July, for Motorhome up to 6.5m and up to 3m high, and via CC, Seafrance,can get £50 return as we are preared for slighly unsocial hours - no bother to us, as going out at 00.45, returning at 05.15 is Ok as we only have 1.5hrs to/from Dover, and will 'overnight' (OK, maybe a short night!) on the Calais Aire. Better value, and will give us a good start in the mornring in France, and all day to travel back - much better than 'wasting' time in the uK to take 'daytime' crossings!!!

We did look at Norfolk line, but as over 6m, was an extra £30 return, (and that on equally unsocial crossing, to a less desirable destination!)so no benefit there............

Hi Kieth T,

have you checked the prices booking direct with SeaFrance. Also bear in mind they give discount for a lot of organisations you may be a member of.

In teh voucher section it is worth entering the abrieviations of any organisations you are a menebre off. If I recall CC worked at one time.

I also use EI42 shopping portal to find links to all my online shopping bookings etc and it gives me cash back, some times can be as much as 5%. http://uk.ei42.com/brambles Worth looking at and signing up as costs you absolutely nothing and no risk etc.

Also try a phone call to Eurochange in Dover, I have always found them to offer some very good prices in the past, better than the CC ot CCC or anywhere else I have found online. However I no longer use as one of the orgaisations I am a member of allows me to book direct and enter code and then it is cheaper.

Jon.

P&O Unitholders return Dover/Calais for May/June £76, Caravan Club £103, Sea France £67. But as a P&O Unitholder I can change dates and times as many times as I like with no penalty. Sea France tickets are for fixed crossings so if you have to change you may get a surcharge, I think it is £10 each time. P&O via Caravan Club also have a £10 chnage fee if you alter the booking, unless you buy the very expensive ticket. Camping and Caravanning Club have a price match ticket offer but you have to phone up.

Guest JudgeMental

seafrance expensive as supplements on our travel dates so forget that one.

Norfolk line and P&O roughly work out the same price, But P&O far better timings and choice of crossings.

So Easter, Witsun and summer periods approx £80 return from both companies...not bad at all

Eurotunnel £96 return with frequent traveller deal. So if I leave it till after half term to book, I have till after Feb half term 2010 to book my 5 returns.

I just prefer the flexibility, convenience and speed of Eurotunnel...

We had a leaflet in our free paper for PO yesterday and it was Dover/Calaise and back for £19 as long as you book between 8/1/09 and 12/2/09 and go between 8/1/09 to 31/3/09. So went on line and booked for 23/3 at civilised hours.Just going for the heck of it. To clarify a bit more its for two people and a car although no mention of height weight etc, plus up to nine people and six bottles of wine thrown in,.

Pastiche - 2009-01-16 5:52 PM

We had a leaflet in our free paper for PO yesterday and it was Dover/Calaise and back for £19 as long as you book between 8/1/09 and 12/2/09 and go between 8/1/09 to 31/3/09. So went on line and booked for 23/3 at civilised hours.Just going for the heck of it. To clarify a bit more its for two people and a car although no mention of height weight etc, plus up to nine people and six bottles of wine thrown in,.

That sounds a brilliant offer. Do you have to quote a code though?

Archived