FOX d1 meter (Sunware)

Rees

We have a Mirage 5000, with two leisure batteries, each 110 ampH and a solar panel (capacity unknown - but it seems to keep batteries charged when parked up for winter months). Recently, I have had the original instructions on the electrics for our van translated into English from the Italian. This informs me that the solar panel chargesboth the leisure and engine battery (something I did not know) with preference for the leisure batteries.

I am contemplating having a FOX D1 meter installed to read the amp input to batteries from the solar panel (and thus the watt output - obtained by multiplying the amps x volts) as well as battery voltage (charge/discharge) (a small press button switch allows this to be done).

Has any one experience of having installed such a meter? I am concerned that the wiring should be correct. I have downloaded the instructions for the FOX D1 from the internet.

I fitted a simple analogue moving coil meter in series with the output of the solar panel. It reads all the time and does not consume any current from the panel or the battery. The voltage you can assume to be 14 for the sake of mental calculations.

Such meters are a few quid from Maplin / RS components / Farnell etc.

Its your money!!!

C.

I move solar panels / regulators and the Fox D1 from 'van to 'van when we change. Our current panels have now been on 4 'vans.

The Fox is easy to wire and comes with a small manual which shows the different wiring arrangements (voltage only or voltage/ Amps). I wire mine to give the voltage and amps charge but don't bother with the discharge.

From memory the panel fitted on the Mirage as standard wasn't very big so I wouldn't expect it to supply all your electrical needs if you are a telly viewer but it should extend your stays off mains a bit.

I mounted both the Fox and regulator on a piece of plywood to make it easier to move when the time comes to change. It means I don't have to wire and dewire everything.

Archived