webasto

Guest david gregory

Guest david gregory
has anyone had any dealings with webasto diesel heater i am looking at fitting 1 as a secondry heater 4 traveling heat

We haven't got any experience of the use of these ourselves but I would urge anyone thinking of using a diesel heating system for on-site heating to please check out the noise it makes before you buy one. We were recently on a camp site where the electricity went down so we all had to manage on our own heating systems. It was bad enough having someone not far away with a generator to power his telly etc but the worst thing was a van a few pitches away which had a diesel space heating unit. When it was running, all the time the electricity was off, it sounded like a small aircraft had it's engine running all the time. After a couple of hours we could quite happily have gone and pulled his chocks away so that he could fly off permanently!!! I doubt if the owner of the 'van knew that it was so noisey as it appeared to be mounted under his van so we probably got more of the noise than he did but I'd hate to have been near him all night! Fortunately after a couple of hours or so the electricity to our area of the site was restored.

Guest david gregory
thanks for a promt reply the heater is intended more for use on road as a suplament to cab heating as the van we are getting autotrail arapho is so large we feel that the kids could suffer whilst traveling around

We have an eberspecher 4WD system and have had to use it full time on several occsions When we appologiesd to some people they have said that they havent heard it until they came close to the van Inside we can hear it as it starts and as it trips back in Maybe much depends on where the unit is situated

Guest Derek Uzzell
The usual noise criticism of diesel-fuelled vehicle heaters relates to when the appliances are in the start-up phase (similar to domestic oil-fired central heating boilers being much noisier when firing up than subsequently). Exhaust noise used to be a problem but Eberspacher and Webasto now market small silencers to mute this. As Petec suggests, siting of the heater will make a difference noise-wise. If it's installed outside, the occupants of the vehicle will benefit but people nearby won't. If it goes beneath the bonnet then the engine-compartment's insulation should dampen running-noise considerably. A French test of two motorhomes with under-bonnet installed 'wet' systems (like petec's D4W) reported outside noise levels (measured one metre from the vehicle) from 54.5dBA to 62.5dBA, comparing these with the noise levels of 65-66dBA produced by the motorhomes' Mercedes engines running at tick-over. However, it was emphasised that low frequency 'motor' noise was less intrusive than the higher frequencies produced by diesel-fuelled heater turbines. Current heaters are said to be significantly quieter than earlier ones and this view is given credence by Lindsay Porter's Jan 2006 MMM article where the heater is actually within the vehicle. Mike Jago has an Eberspacher equivalent inside his Auto Sleepers Duetto and he hasn't reported signs of personal deafness or lynch mobs surrounding his motorhome on campsites. As you plan to use the diesel appliance primarily to supplement the cab heater while travelling, outside noise shouldn't be an issue. You don't say which Webasto model you have in mind - if it's an Airtop 2000 (as described in Lindsay Porter's article), you might consider choosing the Airtop 3500 instead. This would provide faster warm-up, near double the output and would offer a realistic alternative to your gas-fired system for whole-vehicle heating. Although the cost would be somewhat higher the difference could be worth paying. Webasto is a well respected company and were very helpful when I wanted information about their heaters. Current motorhome applications include Airtop or Thermotop appliances fitted as standard to the Trigano Tribute and some CI and Chausson motorhomes. They are also marketed by CAK. (No help to you I'm afraid, but some vehicles (including certain Mercedes Sprinter and VW T5 models) have a diesel-fuelled cab heater as standard. Kits are available to extend such systems beyond the cab area.)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Richard
My current Vehicle is using the latest 3500 unit and I can honestly say that there is very little noise. The older ones were noisy! It is much more convenient and of course saves on gas which is good when travelling abroad

Archived