Prince Harry

nightrider

I see Prince Harry is in the news again, this time for referring to a fellow officer as a 'Paki' I suppose a million pound law suit will follow for 'hurt feelings'.

If he is sued and loses, I hope he or the Queen tips up and it doesn't fall on the tax payers, wouldn't put it past the royal family to apply for legal aid?

I'm no royalist but I'm getting fed up with the media pointing the finger at the young royals. OK so he called an asian chap a "Paki", fact is the chap in question is from Pakistan, maybe not the nicest term to use but accurate at least and lets face it, the chap in question didn't look very bothered on the video and neither did the other chap referred to as "rag head". It all happened three years ago too for goodness sake. Sounds to me like the papers got hold of this tape and have then sat on it till they felt maximum damage could be created 'cos once again its come to light at a "sensitive" time for the royals. Not Harry's cleverest move but not one, IMHO that warrants all the furore the media are whipping up.

D.

I agree with Dave.

I don't get a daily paper, but I wouldn't mind betting that it's the very same papers that keep on whipping up scares about millions of asylum-seekers swamping our British way fo life!!

As well as the fact that it was 3 years ago, if the individuals involved aren't upset (even if Daddy is!) and it was never intended for wider circulation, the old phrase "consenting adults in private" springs to mind.

Just in passing, it seems to me that "Paki" only became an insult because it was used as one - remember "Paki-bashing" and "Pakis go home?"

People from Uzbekistan are (I think?) Uzbekis, Kurds would like a state called Kurdistan. So once upon a time it was probably just normal and descriptive to say Pakis come from Pakistan.

But then some of our dear "patriotic" brothers and sisters decided to use it as a term of abuse - for everyone a bit darker than they were - so that's what it became. Words do that.

But once it's happened, that becomes the new meaning of the word, so most of us wouldn't dream of using it.

I also agree with Dave and Tony. Yes of course. such terms are now seen as undesirable and it is especially important for public figures to guard their tongues, but for heaven's sake, at the time he was a very young man newly inducted into a testosterone-fueled and necessarily gung-ho environment. It is very obvious when listening to the excerpt on the news that he bore the gentleman concerned no malice.

Our country suffers from a hugely bloated Race Relations Industry and a rapidly growing Offence Taking Sector, both fueled by shed-loads of national and local government funding and the highly lucrative human rights' legal-aid gravy train. Similarly, self-appointed "Community Leaders" are mushrooming everywhere. Common sense has diminished in inverse proportion to these developments.

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2009-01-13 9:26 AM

I also agree with Dave and Tony. Yes of course. such terms are now seen as undesirable and it is especially important for public figures to guard their tongues, but for heaven's sake, at the time he was a very young man newly inducted into a testosterone-fueled and necessarily gung-ho environment. It is very obvious when listening to the excerpt on the news that he bore the gentleman concerned no malice.

Our country suffers from a hugely bloated Race Relations Industry and a rapidly growing Offence Taking Sector, both fueled by shed-loads of national and local government funding and the highly lucrative human rights' legal-aid gravy train. Similarly, self-appointed "Community Leaders" are mushrooming everywhere. Common sense has diminished in inverse proportion to these developments.

Bob

Plus a dumbed down media that likes to give all these people too much publicity.

:-(

I think this country should start 'living in the real world' - it happened three years ago and from what I have seen of the video it appears to be 'lads banter' We are from Newcastle and we don't get offended when we are referred to as 'Geordies' !

A.

I wonder what would have happened if the Pakistani Officer had referred to Harry as Taffy - seeing as he has welsh connections.

Now I do not like the term "Paki" same as I do not like and would never use the term Niger or Coon - but these two terms were common in the past and only became terms of abuse after people used them as such.

But it does seem to me that the Royals do manage to live in a bubble where the sensitivities we all get exposed to on a daily basis do not actually get through to them.

Remember Prince Phillip in China - when he said to a group of English Tourists that they should not stay too long or they will get "slitty eyes"!

That came about because I believe because the Royals are surrounded by sycophants that suck up and express amusement at anything they say. I had hoped that Harry and William were a bit different in this respect. I still do hope this and from what I have seen it is thankfully happening.

But as for this specific incident - I think we have to remember that fighting men in groups call each other the most offensive names as part of the lifestyle. Only when such names are caught out of context does it look bad.

And sadly - it does look bad. Because those that want to be offended can use this silly remark to flame up hatred.

This is all becoming a joke........... the media as well as the guy who sold the tape are morally in the wrong. This was between friends - consulting adults as already stated. It has been taken out of context, the context of friends who did not find at the time anything insulting etc. Obviously as time has gone on someone has seen this as a way to make money - that is the part that most people will find distasteful not the use of the word.

The distastefull parts of this matter are 1, it was recorded, who, in a bunch of mates does that? someone with an eye on future fame and money, that's who. 2, someone sold it, don't know if it was the person who taped it or not, again someone wanting fame and fortune. It's a reflection of some of todays society, people who value fame, notoriety, infamy, celebrity, ill manners and jealousy. And eveyone is the same, at least that's what the papers would have you believe, whereas most people are kind, considerate, well mannered and well meaning. If no-one paid for the stories, then incidents wouldn't be recorded. 8o|

Anything to do with royalty or a celebrity is worth money to either a freelance photographer or journalist and any newspaper will buy whatever they have.

I wouldn't like to be a member of the royal family, you would be frightened to death of picking your nose or scratching your backside, the picture would be in the media before you could say Jack Robinson.

To me the word Paki is just an abbreviation it all depends on how and why you say for it to become an insult.

The Asian contingent are far too sensitive for me, its ok for them to refer to themselves as Paki's and its ok for black people to refer to themselves as n****** but not for a white man to say it, thats the quickest way to lose your career, I dont think royalty can do right for wrong, whatever they do they are hung out to dry.

I was so pleased to read this thread as I was beginning to think that I was the only person in Britain who thought it was such a fuss about nothing really. As far as I know it was started by the News of the World (according to Sky News on Saturday evening) in order to sell more newspapers I suppose. Sky News took practically an hour before releasing the video in order to check the legal position. Big discussion about how awful Harry had been, the language etc. Well I heard one "soldier's word" and the word Paki said in a very jocular way. I have never uttered that particular word (which is so common place now) but I know soldiers have always used it. My husband of 50 years used it when he was a soldier but I never heard him utter it no matter how provoked. So it is common currency - on one hand they treat Harry like an ordinary soldier but on the other he is expected to behave like a prince. I really sypathise with him.

As for the word "Paki" are we not still referred to by the Americans and Australians as "limeys" and "poms", which has continued for over two centuries, so what is wrong with Paki? I would not object to these nicknames so why should they? The Muslims wanted to break away from India in 1947 so presumably they were proud of their new nation Pakistan.

As has been noted people from the north east are known as Geordies, I am called a Brummie (can't say I particularly like that nickname because I hate the accent!) and others Taffy etc. They are what identify us - like ginger, four-eyes etc. I managed to live through these taunts and actually became very proud of ginger when I noticed boys were interested and even more so when I visited Italy!

It is time a stop was put to all this stupid political correctness and the pandering of a small minority by the media is causing untold damage and resentment. I hope I am not around when the keg is lit.

Political correctness is a tool used by people with a vested interest in stifling the truth, and the truth comes from the ordinary Joe Soap.

If the ordinary man and woman on the street cannot voice their opinions, fears and concerns then that is totalitarianism (hope I have spelt that right) not getting into racial politics but watching the rioting and protests in London (which by the way has cost taxpayers one million pounds to clear up the debris) where I live at the top end of town is where the Asians (Muslims) live, at the bottom end near where I live is the Jewish community, how long will it be before they are fighting their battles on the streets here? On a friday night when the Jewish shabbas starts and the friday prayers of the Muslims start, dont try and phone for the police to report something because they are on duty outside the Mosques and Jewish synagogues keeping order.

in a similar vein, Hampshire police have just spent months tracking down the tottenham supporters who chanted at sol cambell, 3yrs ago i had my caravan broken into and it was stripped, including the kitchen sink,£3500 insurance bill. hampshires finests response on reporting the crime, ring next week and we will give you a crime number for your insurance, i guess chanting at a millionaire footballer at a football ground is far worse than burglary.

The Man united footballer Ronaldo is in the paper for crashing his brand new fancy dan sports car the first time he has taken it out.

The crash was in an under pass, by all accounts he lost control of it and wrote it off, no one else involved, no one hurt, just a smashed up car and bruised pride, the police have got signs all over the show appealing for witnesses, what for? he wasn't drunk, the police seem to have their priorities all wrong if you ask me, just imagine all the paperwork involved.

Here's my take on this story.

As some of you know I'm from a mixed race background. Father born & bred in England, my mother was born and bred in Thailand.

I was born in Thailand and could not speak a word of english until I was 4 years old.

I was called a "Farang" by my Thai school friends. Farang is a word used by thai's to address anyone who is not a native of Thailand. Apparently it is a shortened word for "farancais" which is the Thai word for a french person from years of old. The reason why they called me a "Farang" was because my father was white.

I have never been offended by this word nor have I ever met anyone in Thailand who is offended by this word. Be they English, European, American, African etc.etc.etc.

At school in England I was sometimnes called "Chink", but again never offended by this word. In fact I was quit proud in being able to correct people who thought I was chinese by saying that I'm from Thaiand.

I've seen and both sides of the coin, and feel that it's down to the individual of how they take it.

Let's go back to some old comedy progs on TV. - "Love they neighbour" being one. Terms like "Chalkie Snowflake were common place & no one took offence.

I genuinely believe that this is P C gone overboard.

I'll now stand back and await any responses to my take on this.

Thai

What a very nice sensible person you must be Brian - I would have guessed that anyway from your signature. It cannot have been easy for you and even less easy for your parents as not that long ago "mixed" marriages, whether by race or religion, were very frowned upon. Thank goodness that there are less sensitive people such as yourself who can laugh at themselves and what a pity that there is a minority who cannot. The main culprits though are the ignorant and ill-informed do-gooders who do so much harm to the harmony which exists in general among differing people.

Some of you will know from previous posts what job i do and how politically correct it is. Today at a meal break we were watching the news when the story followed up this story with the Prince Charles calling a friend by his nickname "sooty". So we ahd a dicussion with a collegue from Pakistan, their take on this was how overblown the whole story was. They said that the way the name was called was all important. Any name can be derogitory and most (not all) can be used in a friendly way between friends. If someone found any name offensive they should say so and if this name is still used then it's a problem.

Interestingly they didn't find Paki or Sooty offensive and said there are far to many interfering do-gooding white people about.

Quite. The more sensible ones realise that this sort of publicity is poisoning the good relationships which do exist between different races and religions. People have worked long and hard for many, many years to bring an understanding and tolerance for people different to ourselves and these do-gooders are ruining everything.

I find Hopesey's and Patricias input on this subject especially relevent.

In particular their analysis that I concure with re the odd section of our society that seems to think that it has to apologise to all for just being who we are!

When they realise that they are just pandering to those that will take take take take take and that sometimes a nickname is just that - nothing else - our world will be a better place.

Just caught a bit of the news in which Lord Vaz (I think that is his name) is criticising Prince Charles for the latest thing to break into the news i.e. calling a very long standing friend Sooty (Sooty is very happy to be called that). Vaz says that what passes between Charles and his friend is their own business (so why is he interferring?) but hearing names like this will upset other people of belonging to an ethnic minority. Ugh! What? If that is the best this massively overpaid man can come up with ......... well! Which planet does he belong on when there are so many more important issues to sort out? Does anyone know the title of his over inflated job description?

Clive, Praticia

Well spoken, the both of you.

When I 1st started "going out" with Mary ( Mrs Thai), we also did meet some prejudices. People questioned why Mary was dating a foreign person.!!

Again when her parents asked her, Is Brian chinese?, she replied no he's not. He's Thai!!.

From this I was made very welcome into the family, and was soon to realise that what Mary & I faced was quite small, as her parents are Scottish, one being a protestant & one being a Catholic.

I just say, get on with life.

Thai

Archived