Ferries to Jersey

SAS

This may seem like a daft question but when you book a holiday to Jersey do you book the campsite first or the ferry, as I believe you have to have some sort of pass? We are looking to travel during June in our Talisman which would be 6.5 meters long with the bikes on the back. Are all the ferries to Jersey operated only by Condor ferries and does anyone know approximately how much the return fare would be for the 2 of us? Many thanks.

Try contacting Carefree Department at Camping & Caravanning Club.

They will quote prices, and will include site, ferries, permits etc

Or you can obtain prices direct from Condor Ferries, on their website.

The length of vehicle must include rack and bikes, and the crossings are expensive.

If having the bikes on the back adds to the cost due to the extra length, couldn't you put them inside for your ferry crossings? Even if you have to remove the front wheel to manouvre them it would be worth it, we certainly have in the past (put a pair of thick woolly socks over the pedals on each bike first though to ensure you don't scratch anything!)

Good morning

Being a channel islander I can confirm that the ferries are indeed expensive in comparism to the Dover Calais crossings. (they have the monoploy and have just been bought by the IOM Packet Steam co. although when I looked on their site their prices seemed quite good to me). Unfortunately for us, being stuck on a rock our government's policy is to subsidize the holiday market and so we pay even more than tourists, but as it's our only way off by sea travel they have us by the horns.

You are correct in that you do have to have a temporary import licence to bring your motorhome/caravan over to Jersey (yes it's true and it's not April 1st). You also have to have accommodation pre-booked at one of the three campsites that can accommodate motorhomes/caravans, they will normally organise this for you, also, but I'm not sure I think that Condor ferries may well do an all inclusive package with ferry and campsite and they will organise the permit. It might be worth giving them a ring (number on website), they are helpful. I you do come over - price permitting, I would recommend stocking up on food - our prices are quite a bit higher, but on the bright side, parts of the Island are still unspoilt, pub grub isvery good value and most of it superb. There is not a lot of parking in the town for a motorhome as most is in multistory carparks which are obviously out of the question, so you would have to bus in or consider hiring a car for a few days (these are cheap), if planning to cycle be aware that there are a lot of hills!

Anyway hope that answers some of your questions, enjoy your holiday - wherever you decide to go. We are coming over to the UK this year and doing Scotland as the euro is so bad at the moment. Our ferry will cost in the region of £350 return for a 7m motorhome - with a car and caravan it would have been £500 - so you can use that as a comparrism if you do decide to come over. The earlier you book the better value and if you can travel mid week it is often cheaper too, we find that we normally get a better price booking over the phone rather thanon the internet as they have all the structured prices in front of them.

Archived