World War 1 Battlefields

MotoHomer

I'm planning to visit sometime this year, possibly as early as Feb, and would appreciate some advice on/recommendations for suitable campsites especially any which might be open "early season" and especially any which are within either walking distance (say 5 miles round trip - unlikely perhaps) or cycling distance (say 25 miles round trip) of visitor/battlefield sites. Thinking mainly of the Somme, Ypres, Verdun areas etc. etc.

What is m/home access like to B field etc. sites generally? Presume no probs for main ones but we do like to poke around in search of the less obvious and The White House on wheels can become rather an impediment sometimes even though it's only 6 and a bit metres long.

Also, unsure whether b field visitor centres etc. would be open in Feb particulalrly - can obviously find out about this separately but if anyone has any info to contribute I would be very grateful.

Thanks in anticipation.......

We have visited all the WWI battlefields, but only between May and November, so cannot offer much advice other than to say that generally access has been easy.

I suggest looking at the Caravan Club books, Caravan Europe vol 1 and 2 and also a book of Aires in order to get some ideas. France is quite an easy proposition using Aires, even if most sites are shut in the winter.

I used to take a lot of school parties to this area but of course we travelled by coach, not m/home.We always parked the coach without problems and I imagine you would have to use the coach area if necessary. Generally though they don't segregate the vehicles and the carparks are usually large.

If you can find a campsite around Arras that would be a good central point and a very interesting town in its own right. The underground caves, which the British used are worth a visit, good shops and restaurants (try the Irish Pub where you sit in the underground cave - hope it's still there as the food was excellent), and two large town squares in which to park. Vimy Ridge (Canadian) is quite near and you can walk around the trenches (now concreted) and visit underground. I have been there many times and even in the summer it has been bitterly cold. The memorial is most moving. In that area there are many cemeteries - French, Commonwealth and German - very close together so that comparisons can be made. They are all very different. The French buried according to religion, the Germans six to a plot and the children were always struck by the fact that so many German Jews were killed fighting for Germany but were persecuted so terribly not too long afterwards. The sheer size of these burial places reduced many of the boys, aged 15-16, to tears. The visits seemed to affect them far more than it did the girls. They were all in awe though when they studied the thousands of names of men with no known graves who are commemorated on the many monuments in this area.

Also if you do get anywhere near Dieppe there is a very interesting Chinese cemetery you can visit.

Hi MotoHomer

I ask the very same question just over 12 months ago, see -

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9687&posts=19

We went in June so cannot give you any details regarding sites that are open in February.

We used the sites at

Iepers (munici[pal)

Authuille (private) ( 1 mile from the Thiepval monument)

Bray-sur-Somme (Hotel site not municipal)

Pierrefonds (Municipal) used after visiting the location of the signing of the armistice - superb chataux.

Found a lack of sites near the Canadian memorial just north of Arras, ended up on carpark at Noeux-les-Mines for the night, as the aire there is for services only and closed out of working hours.

We have used Camping Ypra at Kemmel. This site is open all year. It has two very good easily accessible Motorhome hard-standings, which are adjacent to a toilet shower block. with wash up facilities outside. Water and electric on the pitch. English spoken.

Ask for the Motorhome pitches, as the ground can be very soft. On my first visit in November 2006 my Hymer S700 which is 7metres long sank into the ground while trying to access one of the other pitches, which are at right angles to the narrow access road.

Camping Ypra

Pingelaerestraat 2

8956 Kemmel - Heuvelland

Belgium

Tel: 0032 57 44 46 31

Fax: 0032 57 44 48 81

Email: camping.ypra@skynet.be

Web: http://www.camping-ypra.be

We never had any problems parking at the big ww1 cemeteries, but the smallist ones can be a bit awkward, but there is usually a pull in just outside, but not very big.

I think you will find most of the attached visitor centres will be open.

Sorry can't help you with campsites at this time of year.

For Belgium, we based ourselves at Ghent and travelled out in the 6.2m van without problems. Belgian road surfaces can vary in quality. Parking was not a problem where we went. We have always found the Belgians lovely people though when we visited the battlefields, we also found them particularly considerate.

Took our son with us so he could understand war - he wanted to join the Armed Services. He was not in the slightest bit moved by the experience. However, a few months later, we visited my mother. In her town there is a plaque to commemorate six boys who died on the day in the same trench and who were all from the same family in the same street. My son realised that he had stood on that very spot just outside Ypres. Tears came to his eyes as he made the link.

I do not know whether all the visitor centres will be open - check the web sites - but I do know if you do the research before you go, you will still understand what happened and why. It is an incredibly moving experience.

Just a quick Thanks to all who've responded - very interesting and helpful.

Two of my Great Uncles served in WW1 and one is buried in one of the cemeteries - first Reason to visit. Sad thing is, he volunteered for service but failed the medical. Worked as a "clippie" on the trams and got fed up with being given white feathers so managed to get in to an artillery division via a "non-medical" route. He arrived in France 7/2 and was killed that May. So many, of course, didn't last that long.

One of my Grandfathers also served, from 1914 to 1918 - he survived various events including being blown up and gassed. I know some of the places he got to and hope to get some more detail on this - second Reason!

Thanks again.

You probably know this - but if you have your great uncles service numbers, you can find which cemetary they are in by going to the CWGC web site and doing a search.

we found Charles's grandfather's name in the Poziers memorial east of Albert. He died in the march/april of 1917 along with thousands of others who's remains were never found.

You can't help but be moved and shed a tear when you see all the crosses.

One of our mines is missing, remember it on television, where there is still large bombs at the end of tunnels below the ground where you are going.

Tour buses actually drive over or near to their locations.

Its on my list of must see parts relatting to WW11 memourabelia.

See www.fougassefilms.co.uk/FFL.HTM for information and DVD's.

Booooom,

Gordon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived