?Temporary carpets

Poppy

Guest Tracker
Most carpet warehouses / retailers have a selection of slip mats and runners of various sizes or you could get an offcut and fit it accurately (not hard but time consuming to do it right) so that it won't walk when trodden on or if time is short and carpet fitting skills not good just butcher it into more or less the right shape in one or even several bits!

Hello Poppy,

A quick and low cost solution is to buy one or two packs of Connect-A-Mat from Homebase or B & Q or directly from ACL in Doncaster. One pack will cover approx 32 sq ft.

We used one pack as a temporary flooring in our van while waiting for carpets to arrive. After the carpet arrived we used the mats as "Winter Carpets" in muddy conditions and there was sufficient left to cover the garage and locker floors. The mats come as multiple colours but we used the charcoal colour backs as the upper surface.

Google Connect-A-Mat or phone ACL on 01302 729954.

Regards,

Mike Chapman.

I made a new set of carpets from a nylon based carpet. Once cut to shape I sealed the edges using a gas blowlamp (a bit like sealing the end of a nylon rope) and use these carpets instead of my nice ones in muddy conditions. The blowlamp flame should just touch the carpet edge and be continually moving. Practice on spare offcuts to get the correct distance and speed. I sealed mine in the garden for safety. The sealing trick will not work if you use wool carpet, it will have to be professionally bound, a costly excercise ( I was quoted £1 per foor of edging).

Safe sealing

Mike

Hi We did what Tracker has suggested. We removed the carpets which came with the van (to keep them "good" for when we re-sell) replacing them with an offcut bought from a local retailer, cost about £15 I think. The one we have laid is a better colour match than the original. Hubby fitted it without too much difficulty.

ike

B&Q do some nice very cheap runners, some rubber backed, so I'd suggest having a shuftie there that way they won't 'float' around in the van and send you flying! Also, last time I was in Morrisons I found they did some rubber back dirt gripper type rugs which were quite cheap as well, Tesco do a similar thing too.

Our original carpets were so "loose fit" on the wood effect floor that they were dangerous. Replaced them with rubber backed carpet tiles from Homebase.

Carpet tiles are a lot easier to fit around the wierd floor shape than one piece of carpet. They stay in position and can be washed individually if (when) you slop your dinner on them! :$

everhopeful - 2009-01-14 7:10 PM

Our original carpets were so "loose fit" on the wood effect floor that they were dangerous. Replaced them with rubber backed carpet tiles from Homebase.

Carpet tiles are a lot easier to fit around the wierd floor shape than one piece of carpet. They stay in position and can be washed individually if (when) you slop your dinner on them! :$

Spot on, that's what we have,

We haven't used our carpets as we have dogs and have to frequently wash down the floors so you can imagine the state carpets would get.

What we have done so that it is cosier is brought an off cut of carpet for £10, it looks as though it is left over from carpeting stairs. This fits where we want to put it down for the dogs to lay and our feet. To stop it sliding we pop a cheap rubber backed mat underneathe.

Archived