places to `camp` in Prague in June/July

jeffchef

Hi This is a bit of a non-answer but we were in Prague a couple of years ago and I'm sure I saw a directional sign for a campsite not too far out of the city. Why not try google "camping in Prague" or one of the tourist web sites. There were quite a few "undesirable" types hanging about the city so I'd be wary of wild camping. It's a beautiful city. You will love it.

ike

I'd recommend the "yacht club" site, as have others before me.

http://www.volny.cz/convoy/

I don't think you'll get much closer to the centre!

On an island within easy (public transport) travelling distance of the city (we walked a couple of times). The facilites, whilst not the best (though they were recovering from the major flood when we were there) are quite acceptable, and its a quiet and friendy site.

They run a boat across to the river bank one block away from metro/tram/railway interchange. If you arrive back late, you need to take the tram to the end of the island and walk back, but it is no great hardship.

It is not the first site you pass on the island, (that looked OK, but didn't benefit from the pasenger ferry).

We found it very convenient.

Hi,

We stayed at Sunny Camp in the western suburbs last June. It was in the ACSI discount scheme so only cost €14 + tax a night. Surrounded by blocks of flats but about 10 minutes walk to a metro station and about 20 minutes journey to centre - a one day travel pass was good value.

The site felt secure and we definitely wouldn't park a motorhome in the street.

We met a French campingcar-iste at a site in Budapest a couple of weeks later who had parked in the city centre and turned up at the campsite late at night having had ALL the contents of his van stolen - only had the clothes they were wearing :-(

Steve

Sunny camp is good, especially on the ACSI deal.  We stayed 5 nights in early June '08.  It is a very popular, cosmopolitan, site, so arrive reasonably early. 

Assuming you will follow the E50 from Germany, this diverts to the South of Prague, to form part of an, as yet unfinished, Southern motorway by-pass.  You will need the Reporyje exit, onto road 0013 toward Reporyje, and then on to wards Stodulky.  There are good directions in the Caravan Club's "Caravan Europe 2" sites guide. 

Facilities are excellent, well maintained, and spotless.  Security is good, and the gates are always shut at night.  Family run, and very pleasant, helpful, owners live on site (in their house!).  Good English spoken: German more widely understood.

The metro is clean, modern, and efficient.  There is a large supermarket just by the metro station, so shopping on the way home is easy. 

Has WiFi and washing machines, and takes cards.  Saying it is surrounded by blocks of flats makes it sound a bit hemmed in, but it is quite a large site and so has a pleasant, quite open, feel.  The surrounding area is also quite "comfortable" so do not equate "flats" to the all too frequent UK model, the area is not at all threatening.

Hi Brian,

Yes perhaps it was a bit of a generalisation to refer to the flats around Sunny Camp as they are only low rise blocks adjacent to the site, but like many European cities, Prague appears to be all blocks of flats as you approach especially from the east :-D and there is graffiti everywhere these days.

The site has a restaurant but I believe you have to order your meal in advance. It was one of the very few sites where we met British motorhomers during our trip - must have missed you by a few days :-D

Steve

Can't say about campsites, as we stayed wild across the border. Prague is a fantastic place. I would recommend not actually driving in the centre if you have a weak heart, or worry about road manners...lol! Oh, and they don't seem to stop for anything - including traffic lights. The inhabitants are poor but so very helpful, the food is very fresh - even a 20p mcdonalds tastes like a homemade barbecue, with everything fresh! Really has to be seem to be beleived. As do the boy racers outside, which was great! They are just like to uk with loud music and modified cars - except the cars are all skoda estelles!

Really is a town of two halves, as the centre is fully designer, full of hollywood films stars, and the outer edges are very poor indeed - but they are so happy...which makes you think! You will need a pass to travel the main roads which when we were there was £15 for 3 weeks travel permit, and you will be searched by customs on the way home, as prague is a drug hotspot! (They spotted the permit in the window and searched us and the vehicle in customs!)

Get to the countryside too, the roads are scary as they are narrow and not well maintained, but the townships of shacks, and mountain ranges are wonderful. Try and find the bone chapel too!

Archived