Habitation door light doesn't comes on automatically?

Way2Go

Hi peeps,

I have a 2007 Bessacarr 500 series motorhome but my query would equally apply to the Swift and Airstream models and probably most motorhomes?

According to the manual, when I open the habitation or cab door or remove the key from the ignition, the light by the habitation door should automatically come on.  It doesn't.

In addition, when the control panel is on, opening the habitation or cab doors should also automatically operate the awning light.  It doesn't do this either.

I've checked the fuses and of course they are OK as the lights will work if I operate them manually from the control panel.  The lights are supposed to go on automatically and stay on for 15 minutes (if you don't manually turn them off).  I just wonder whether something has been deactivated somewhere?

The reason I say this is that I was talking to a chap on a site who had the identical MH and he said he kept getting a flat battery.  His lights did work automatically.  His dealers 'fix' was to remove the fuse so the lights didn't work at all!!

Has anyone come across this or know where I can check?

Many thanks

W2G

I guess the first thing to check is whether or not there is a sensor-switch on the habitation-door that could trigger the light when the door was opened. If there isn't a sensor, then - no matter what the manual says - the light won't come on.

This seems a startlingly complex arrangement to automate a simple manual process. While it's commonplace for courtesy-lights on cars (that have been through exhaustive testing at the development stage to ensure long term reliability), I can well imagine it causing problems on motorhomes where development often seems based on a wing and a prayer.

Do you by any chance have a three position switch for the cab lights?

In my van the switch positions for the interior lights are Manual On, Manual Off and Auto on-off with door opening.

This caught me out the other day because I had never used the manual ON before and of course I did not return the switch to the AUTO position, just switched the lights OFF manually.

Hi W2G,

I have the same problem on my Swift when I purchased it, I queried it with Brownhills service dept. I was told that there was problems with batteries going flat and it was disconnected on new vehicles to prevent this happening until a solution to the problem has been thought up Still waiting for a solution not holding my breath though..........!

Regards Geoff

Thanks for that Geoff.

I've just got back from checking it out and it still doesn't work so I think you're right in what you say.

Thanks to John, at least the cab lights come on now when the cab doors are opened.

Thanks for all the feedback :-)

W2G

Slightly off subject, but batteries going flat is common on Swift Bolero models and their other badged products. My dealer told me that the auto select fridge needed a supply even when it was switched off. This was 0.4 Amps, so in 24 hrs we lost 24x0.4 = 9.6 Amp/hours. So flat habitation battery after 10 to 14 days. Also Fiat engine battery needed supply for engine management etc, so also flat after a short time. I solved both problems with 80W solar panel and a 'battery master' unit to allow both habitation and vehicle batteries to charge.

Hmmm.  I wonder why it needed a supply when it was off Mike?  We just leave the door wedged open between trips.

I can quite see that a constant supply, which doesn't get topped up, would soon flatten the battery.

Good idea concerning the solar panel though ;-)

With the fridge switched off look at the amp drain on the panel over the door for the habitation battery, mine a March/08 Bolero 2.3L and 3 other Swifts at my dealer all showed a discharge of 0.3 to 0.4 amps. The dealer said that there was a permanent supply to allow the fridge computer to detect when the owner supplied gas electric and wanted it to operate automatically. Otherwise without a supply the fridge would just sit there and not operate. Some other converters use a different manufacturers of fridges and these do not take electric when they are off.

Whether the dealers explanation was correct or not I don't know, but there was definately a drain shown on the panel above the door.

Hope this explanation helps

Regards Mike

Hi , Hope this info is useful to you and others, but firstly, our 07 Bolero constantly had flat cranking battery after 4 days,( long story ) but Cranking battery & leisure were reversed connected, in the 12volt fuse box, from Swift. Whilst investigating this problem we found the following

The onboard display panel, when switched on would read 0.2 amp discharge ( normal, no mains connected ), now if you switch your fridge on an additional 0.2 amps is shown run total now 0.4amps, if it is greater you will need to check that your Tv, freeview, switching box for DVD and power for the aerial is switched off, if on the power consumption of these is 1.0 amp on STANDBY, ( The SWITCH is normally situated in wardrobe, depending on model ), if it's on, the running total is now 1.4 amps, If no switch is fitted a Swift Dealership should install one. ( Factory Fault )

The habitation door light on our Bolero, would take about 30mins to switch off, not good when traveling at night, and discharging during the day, we modified ours by installed a light switch just inside the door, just broke into the light fitting supply, to switch & returned to light.

I hope this info helps.

Regards

Alan & June

Archived