Travelling in Greece

Don Madge

Guest JudgeMental

Thinking of visiting Pelopenese next summer....can only get a month of work, so allowing a week for return journey will 3 weeks be enough to get a reasonable feel for the area and reach decent resorts?

intend to go for longer once we retire.....

Hi Eddie,

If you use the ferry from Venice to Patras you might just make it into a three week trip but if you go July/August it will be very busy and very expensive on the ferry.

Brian,,

The neck is on the mend :-D We are hoping to get away after the NEC if my neck lasts out. Waiting for the x ray results at present.

Don

Guest JudgeMental
Don Madge - 2009-01-15 10:07 PM

Hi Eddie,

If you use the ferry from Venice to Patras you might just make it into a three week trip but if you go July/August it will be very busy and very expensive on the ferry.

Don

No choice I'm afraid it has to be during school holidays.....when will I need to book ferry to be assured of a space and on board camping?

Don't expect to get around everywhere, as we don't want a Japanese style whistle stop tour lol. Just the flavour and ambience of Greece again, with a few historic sites and a few nice relaxing holiday resorts

Stoupa has been recommended as a nice town to visit...what do you think?

Hope you fully recover soon Don :-D

JudgeMental - 2009-01-16 4:05 AM

Don Madge - 2009-01-15 10:07 PM

Hi Eddie,

Don

No choice I'm afraid it has to be during school holidays.....when will I need to book ferry to be assured of a space and on board camping?

Don't expect to get around everywhere, as we don't want a Japanese style whistle stop tour lol. Just the flavour and ambience of Greece again, with a few historic sites and a few nice relaxing holiday resorts

Stoupa has been recommended as a nice town to visit...what do you think?

Hope you fully recover soon Don :-D

Hi Eddie,

You will need to book your ferry "Yesterday" as the Camping on Board gets booked up very early in the year. I suggest you contact Viamare http://www.viamare.com/index.html ASAP to check availability.

I've only visited the Peloponnese well out of season and it's one of our favorite places. Stoupa was deserted the last time we ventured around that area in Early spring.

I hope you like it hot as you will be able to fry an egg on the bonnet of the van in the high season. 8-) 8-)

Don

Guest JudgeMental

Mmm...yes the heat, it is the thing that has stopped me going high summer. But I'm worried re loosing my driving licence due to health issues and not making it back there at all with a camper! lol

Don it is summer 2010 we will be going, its Italy again this year I'm outvoted...... Had a look at link to get an idea, and still availability for this summer. at about 700 euro return. I choose deck class for accommodation thinking this must be sleeping in own vehicles and this was 50 euro each X 4 each way!. So maybe the sleeping in van options all gone......

When travelling on the greek ferries the deck class is really just a passenger charge and you pay that if you are not booking any other accommodation. The Camping on Board option does not cost anymore than the cost of your vehicle plus the deck class cost.

Petra - 2009-01-17 2:23 PM

When travelling on the greek ferries the deck class is really just a passenger charge and you pay that if you are not booking any other accommodation. The Camping on Board option does not cost anymore than the cost of your vehicle plus the deck class cost.

Hi Petra,

Unfortunately not too many companies offer the Camping on Board option and "Officially" it only runs from 1st April until 31st October and then only between Italy and Greece.

Don

Hi, we spent 10months living and working on the Peloponnese about 25 years ago, (in the good ld days BC) we ran a campsite in a place called Tolo (Tolon), pretty little sea port and looking at recent photos it doesn't seem to have changed too much, inland we liked Sparta and around that area in the mountains, also Kalamatta and Gythion are worth a visit on the south coast - enjoy, but don't expect anything to be done fast! (lol)

Archived