Spain back up to calais

gadjo

(I'll try again)

We are toying with the idea of going to northern Spain via ferry (obviously) maybe from plymouth then traveling back up through France to Calais on sort of a coastal route then back to good old blighty. Maybe take two to three weeks to do journey. Maybe use mixture of aires and sites.

Only problem will be it will have to be when schools break up for the six weeks hols as still have teenager in tow.

I would welcome any advice re sites, best routes, must see's etc etc

Cheers

Guest JudgeMental

I've driven back up fron Santander in a day when the ferry broke down....so 3 weeks is a long time for return leg.....Are you doing trip to Spain justice? as ferry not cheap. Have you considered driving around to Galicia/ Northern Portugal.

Do you mean 3 weeks for return leg? the Atlantic west coast is full of interesting places....Barritz, Bordeaux, all the coast, Ile de rae, la Rochelle plus all the Islands and the Loire, I could go on and on......

On route home, Oradour sur Glane a matyr village, is a very poignant place to see, it is near Limoges. Also near Poitiers is Futurescope, well signed on autoroute, with adequate parking. Plenty of sites close by and will be enjoyed by youngsters and adults alike. Make sure if you do go to collect the translation gadgets available for a deposit.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

Hi gadjo,

We did a 3 week blast to northern spain a few years ago (2004 actually just looked up the date). It took us about 3 weeks but travelled both ways from calais.

A quick blast (but not toll roads) down to south of Bordeaux for a couple of days on the coast to get into the holiday swing, a bit of sun, swimming and wine. Then onto the north Spanish coast and about 4 days at each of the C&CC listed sites Playa Joel for the beach and sea, La Paz sea views, cliff walks and access to the Picos for some high level walking, and finally Santillana del Mar for some pre history some middle age history and some lazing before heading back. Poitiers for Futurescope is a must for teenagers and maybe the odd cathedral city.

We always like st Valery, Hornfleur, possibly Caen on the way back to Calais.

Ferry vs travel, it all depends on how good the travellers are and how comfortable the drivers are, 2 days or so to Bordeaux from Calais another 1 to northern spain seems ok for us ,

We often amend our route to look in for somewhere for next year, like passing thro the Dordogne.

The later in the holiday season, the later in August you can go the quieter it will be and easier to find aires and or space on campsites

happy travelling

alan

thanks for that guys

We are sailing to Santander making our way across Spain to southern France (Narboune??) then up the right hand side of France (we did the Brittany Normandy route last year) north towards champagne region and back across to Calais. Going later in August so mite be quiter.

Can't wait got the ferries booked and every thing :-)

Cheers

Guest JudgeMental

Just seems a bit of a waste to me...... To arrive in Northern Spain and leave it immediately for France, which can easily and cheaply be reached via Calais

Archived