HOW TO GET TO FRANCE AND SPAIN

jaynig67

HI TO YOU ALL. WILL ANYONE PLEAS HELP ME PLAN A TRIP FROM SWANSEA TO FRANCE AND SPAIN. AND WHAT ITEMS I WOULD NEED FOR THE TRIP, AS I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFOR MY VAN IS 23FT LONG AND 9FT HI ON BORD WILL BE ME THE WIFE AND 3 KIDS I WOULD LIKE TO GO FOR 3 WEEKS IN AUGS 09 SO I NEED HELP WITH THE BEST WAY TO KEEP COST,S DOWN. AND STILL HAVE A GOOD HOLS FOR THE KIDS. ANY INFO WOULD BE HELPFULL AS IM NEW TO THE WORLD OF MOTORHOMEING

THANKS TO YOU ALL

Guest Tracker

Welcome to the madhouse Jaynig.

Why not start with some internet and forum searches to narrow down what you need to discover and then ask us more specific questions to which more specific answers will probably follow?

Try typing words like 'France', 'Spain', 'route', insurance' and any other related words that you can think of into the forum search facility and you will get so much info it will keep you out of mischief for ages.

Websites like Caravan Club, Camping and Caravan Club, Motor Caravan Club, Vicarious Books, AA, RAC, the ferry operators (and Eurotunnel) home pages as a few just to start you off are all worth a looksee in your quest for information.

First time abroad can be daunting specially with kids to take care of but once you have done it you will probably wonder why you were so nervous!

August is a very busy month and I appreciate that school holidays may well dictate the time but ferry and site prices are at their highest and so is demand so you may have to prebook if you need the security of knowing where you are going, particularly in popular areas.

Hi Jaynig

Last two years we have travelled from Portsmouth to Bilbao in Northern Spain. Travelled with P & O which starts the holiday off with a mini cruise. Then travelled back first year to Roscoff and second year to Calais. Would recommend stopping on the island "Il de Re" on way back using municipal site in the town of St Martin de Re. Wonderfull.

Happy Travels

3 weeks and 3 kids means you will need to take plenty of gas or be prepared to buy French or Spanish bottles and regulators over there.

August will most probably be HOT

Food etc easilly available at their Supermarkets so just carry enough to get you over the first two or three days. I never drink their water so buy some bottled water for drinking

Why not try just one or the other for a first timer, you will get a suprise at just how large France and Spain really are, if you are money concious then keep off toll motorways.

Have good breakdown insurance, notify your vehicle insurance that you are going and don't forget to get everyones EHIC medical cards and travel insurance.

Carry First aid kit, high viz jackets for everyone, spare light bulbs, two warning triangles, original vehicle documents AND colour photocopies of all documents including your passports and fit beam benders to headlights.

Satnav is a very very useful thing to have plus a good map.

It is actually easier than it looks so just get up and go

Enjoy yourselves

It may be an idea to plan a night's stop prior to your crossing near the port if you are going to travel from Dover. This will help in case you have an early crossing and will give you additional time in case of traffic jams etc , so your start will not be a rush and tempers stay calm. There are several CL's that are within a few minutes of the port or Caravan Club sites not too far away too. It is advisable to have places booked up as it is the high season.

The first time we went to France, we were worried about booking things up by e-mail, paying deposits etc, so we went with a company called Select Sites who book everything up for you, they are in the UK and you pay in £'s. We found them very good for our first trip abroad and they gave us alot of advise of what we legally needed for driving on the continent etc. Since then we sort ourselves out, but it gave us reassurance and made it so easy and if we suddenly thought of something we could phone them up and they would give us the answers. Next year you'll wonder why you ever worried, the proof is in the fact that so many of us keep going back across the water!!

You haven't said what ages your children are - on many sites in the summer season, they have entertainment laid on for some age groups. You also haven't said what kind of holiday you are looking for - relaxing or touring or whether you are trying to do this on the cheap.

Hi Jaynig.

We live in Swansea too! Have been to France 3 times in our van but with dogs, not kids!! To keep our costs down we use Tesco Clubcard vouchers which you can use against travel through the Eurotunnel. But that will only be of help if you want to travel through France from Calais.

Have a great trip, it's not as scary as you might think at first.

Archived