New security threat to all Windows systems

Guest Don Madge

Guest Don Madge
Morning all, The following was posted on Motorhome Facts this morning, it looks real enough Regards Don "There is a new security threat to all Windows systems that are connected to the Internet, I would normally not wish to worry you as every day there are new threats but this one does seem to as though it may cause some problems if you are not aware of it The threat is well described at: www.tinyurl.com/8fycv and here is the official announcement: www.tinyurl.com/bmqx8 There is not a lot you can do at the moment ( unless you are IT techy) other than one or two things which will help........setting your Internet explorer security level to HIGH may help (only if you know what you are doing.. please) .........and not open files with a *.wmf extension from any emails or anywhere else. After this scare is over you will be able to reset your browser to the old setting.....By the way I never use mine in the High setting so I am not sure what problems it will turn up. If certain "known to you" sites do not work correctly they can be added to the Trusted sites list Many of the features of MHF will not work with the setting at high so you will just have to make up your own mind whether to set it there or just be careful. if you only ever visit MHF then I am sure you will be OK so no need to worry! The rest of the advice on safer browsing to go with this can be found at www.tinyurl.com/ccwge Microsoft are trying to solve the problem as are all the antivirus companies some of which have released definitions to combat new viruses introduced using this exploit .. On the 10th January Microsoft say they will release an update to all current versions of widows ( not win98 though there is no support for Win 98 now) I am sure by the morning it will be mainstream news and there will be more information available but forewarned is best... So if you do not go to any dodgy website's and you do not open any attachment that comes with unsolicited emails and you should be OK. Click www.tinyurl.com/9m5bk for the latest news P.S. Firefox and Opera users are also at risk although it seems the risk is slightly less ----------

Archived