Satellite Domes

Robbins

Hi Alan

we had a Camos dome fitted in september last ( the larger one), and then went to south of France with it.it has an automatic finder (Very Easy) Got it fitted By Nick Stevens in Bridgewater Will have to ask Hubby the name of company. he was doing a very good deal,. we drove over there and waited while he fitted it, as we live near Portsmouth. It is so much easier than the maxview we had before, no setting up involved, Just have to park away from trees. we had the larger one , as we usually go to France and Spain, for long durations. Would certainly recomend it.

Hi Alan, we had a Camos fitted a couple of years ago and use it with our Sky box without problems. We bought it from RoadPro and arranged the fitting at one of the shows. I found RoadPro to be very good to deal with. As long as you are not parked at the wrong side of a building or tall trees the equipment is set up very quickly at the press of a switch!

The name of the company is Adventure Motor Homes The address is Kings Castle buisness park, Broads road Bridgwater TA64ag

The web is www.adventure-motorhomes.co.uk

we found tgis to be the best deal (at thetime) Yes we had the 40cm dome

hope his helps

Pauline

if you want any technical data will have to converse with the other half.

Hi Alan I had the Camos Dome 40cm automatic fitted last year and there was at least one thread then where lots of people gave and received advice. Unfortunately I have just tried to find it but the server is down.

Anyway I had to decide between the R4 and the Camos. In the end I chose the latter because my son-in-law thought that it would be better (he has since had the dearer one fitted which you can use going along and is thrilled with it) and also because the fitted recommended by Roadpro came out to the house. This meant that the dome had plenty of time to set before the m/home was moved. I was also short of time as I was going off to France. The fitter's name is Tim Wilson and he is excellent. I think you can get a link to him from the Roadpro site - there is also lots of information on that site regarding this product.

I have found it to be absolutely wonderful - it has always latched on to the satellite before I am even out of the driving seat - so quick. I have two receiver connected to it, Sky and another digi box, and had no trouble in the south of France except on one site where I was too near the trees. Best luxury I have ever bought. If you want any more info pm me.

Guest JudgeMental
davenewell@home - 2009-01-16 8:59 PM

And what do you perceive as the benefit of the Tracvision Eddie?

D.

No expert advice as I only have a portable system...But when looking into this last year I liked PHLY's attitude and the way they have developed system for European use. Plus it is a well established name in the USA if new here. Plus fitted price seems good if it does as claimed...

Also I was put of by roadpro presence and comments on another forum when someone inquired re the Tracvision system...it just seemed suspicious and unwarranted.

there is a new system out as well, the more choice the better......

http://www.that-leisure-company.co.uk/store/product.php?id=66

Looking at the specs they are both very similar in performance to the Camos dome. The Tracvision is about the same price as the Camos but the new Raysat is quite a bit dearer. I have no experience of either the Tracvision or Raysat so I can't really comment on them but I have fitted several Camos units and they work really well.

D.

Just looked at the Raysat advert and I think that the price is for an in-motion model. If so this is cheaper than the in-motion Camos. However, it doesn't mention use in Europe nor fitting charges etc. and the number of satellites could be limited.

My apologies to Dave for my earlier post. When I was buying my Camos I didn't know that Dave fitted them which is a pity as his work is excellent. Also I was very short of time (as explained above), the Camos was in short supply and when I phoned Roadpro they didn't have any but put me in touch with Tim who had only one so ...... Apologies again Dave

Guest JudgeMental
davenewell@home - 2009-01-17 7:03 AM

Looking at the specs they are both very similar in performance to the Camos dome. The Tracvision is about the same price as the Camos but the new Raysat is quite a bit dearer. I have no experience of either the Tracvision or Raysat so I can't really comment on them but I have fitted several Camos units and they work really well.

D.

PHLY claim that the box they supply with the KVH dome enables automatic selection of a number of satellites for when you are way down south. I thought the KVH dish was larger then the Camos as well?

The ravsat is very lightweight at 6 kg ..... It also has a gyro & GPS like the Kathrein Satellite Dish which helps get a fast fix apparently. Maybe one to watch. with high tech kit like this I am more comfortable when the company supplies and fits.

All very interesting, and may get one when I retire or a new van...... but for now i'll put up with the portable dish,a pile of books and a good view :-D

Patricia - 2009-01-17 9:22 AM

Just looked at the Raysat advert and I think that the price is for an in-motion model. If so this is cheaper than the in-motion Camos. However, it doesn't mention use in Europe nor fitting charges etc. and the number of satellites could be limited.

My apologies to Dave for my earlier post. When I was buying my Camos I didn't know that Dave fitted them which is a pity as his work is excellent. Also I was very short of time (as explained above), the Camos was in short supply and when I phoned Roadpro they didn't have any but put me in touch with Tim who had only one so ...... Apologies again Dave

No need to apologise Patricia, I know Tim and believe he does a good job too ;-) .

Judge, the Camos can be used with a choice of satellites too, you just press the white button on the front panel to select the satellite of choice. From memory Astra 2 North, Astra 2 South, Astra 1, Hotbird, Eurosat and a couple of others I think.

D.

Archived