Anyone heard of Autostar Aryal Motorhomes?

BGD

Hi Guys 'n Gals -

The Sparkle and I have had a bit of a rush of blood to the head.....we've seen a venerable, secondhand motorhome at a dealers here in Spain today that really caught our eye.

(We like venerable, our current MH is an old dog MH from the same year.

Simple, bulletproof. Nothing fancy on/in it, so nothing much to go wrong.

And I can maintain it/fettle it myself without a degree in electronics.

And very little depreciation, and insurance cost is well cheap, and it ain't the end of the world if we dent or scratch it.)

Only went in there to buy some toliet chemicals....but then had a wander round the forecourt.....as you do....and spotted this old dog thingy in the corner, that he's just had in in part-ex against a new MH.

I know nothing about Autostar as a manufacturer, nor about this A-Class model called the Aryal.

If anyone has any experience of these MH's, we'd be most grateful for any comments.......before we go any further with our impulsive "let's just buy it" madness!

The vehicle is:

Autostar Aryal (don't know exactly which model of Aryal it is) A-class, 6.7 metre long, 2.2 metre high, 6 berth (drop down bed above cab, full dinette, and rear U-shaped lounge).

1992, with the Peugeot J5 2.5 litre turbo deisel engine.

96,000 kms.

Spanish registration...from new I think, as there's no sign of rust anywhere on it (they don't use salt on the roads here)

Unladen weight quoted at 1830kgs, max weight 3500kgs.

Very good order throughout, 5 almost new tyres, awning, electric step, radio-CD, Power steering, fitted with air-ride rear pneumatic suspension assistors (the rubber doughnut things), also with a virtually brand new truma Combi 6 heater/hot water boiler.

All underneath undersealed, engine sound and very clean, appears extremely well maintained.

Just had a full vehicle service.

Has a free-standing Theford PortaPotty (large) in the bathroom, on a dedicated plinth (rather than the integral fixed Thetford toilet with exterior cassette that we've been used to).....are these OK in practice to use/empty?

100 litre freshwater tank, 2 x 60 litre greywater tanks.

Fridge, 3 ring gas hob, oven under, sink, and separate draining-board sink thingy.

Dealer wanted 17,850 euros.

He doesn't normally have MH's of this vintage on his lot, as he deals in much newer stuff, so wants to get shot of this part-ex quickly I think (makes his place looks too downmarket!)

We've got him down to a cash price of 17,000 euros, to include 12 months ITV (MOT), 12 months warranty, 1 years road tax, and the costs of transferring ownership.

I think there's a bit more wiggle room yet....he may well touch hands at 16,000 or 16,500 euros.

Any comments, pointers or advice on this type of Motorhome would be huuuuuuuuuuuugely appreciated.

Muchas gracias mi amigos!

:-D :-D

Hi Martin (or Sylvia?) -

Yep. According to the internet, Autostar seem to be a pretty big MH manufacturer in France.

They also seem to be still in business, as I've found quite a lot of modern Aryal models for sale on various secondhand dealer and private advert sites, but almost all of them seem to be in France.....maybe they didn't or don't have distributors in other countries.

Not too worried, as all the kit in it seems to be standard stuff: Truma, Thetford etc; and the engine/drivetrain and mechanicals all seem to be Peugeot J5 (and there's no problem with servicing or getting spares for that vehicle here in Spain as there's gazillions of those vans still knocking around over here).

Guest Tracker

Dunno about Autostar but just a couple of pointers from experience.

Have you driven one of the old 2.5 TDs of late? They pull quite well and should do about 20 - 25 mpg driven reasonably but they are a bit (well a lot really) agricultural as well as very durable and simple to maintain.

The tyre may look new but check the manufactured date on them as these vans tend not to do many miles but spend a lot of time standing in the sun (well not in the UK they don't as it's persistently precipitating) and they perish. If they are older than about 5 years ask for new ones or allow for it to be safe.

Before the advent of these fixed cassette loos we used the portable porta potti. You do need to make sure the plinth it stands on is secure and that the loo is securely fitted on to it and can't bounce off if you brake hard or you could end up in deep doo dah.

Emptying is no real problem as you just unclip the two halves and take the lower half away to be emptied washed and re-blued. The top one just needs a wipe around and maybe a top up with flush water and/or rinse liquid. It can be challenging getting it apart in the confines of a washroom and care is needed carrying it out of the van as, if it is the bigger one, will be quite heavy when full.

Other than that it sounds good and should make a good Nomadmobile.

Good luck.

You can show it to us in two weeks!

We had a good look at Autostars at the 2002 Le Bourget show at Paris. Can't remember the models but many were a bit short on payload thats all I can remember about them.

The UK importers were The Camper House - UK importers of Autostar motorhomes. Tel 01865 427900,

The owner was very helpful. I don't know whether he is still trading.

Don

BGD:

The Autostar factory is at St-Brandon about 10 miles south-west of St-Brieuc in Brittany and the company itself is now a member of the Trigano Group. The brand is popular in France and targets the mid-to-upper part of that country's motorhome market.

Autostar has used the "Aryal" name for its A-Class motorhome designs for at least 20 years. I've seen a few (though no early ones) and I've always felt they tended to be a mite heavy-handed on the detail side. For example, GRP cab-doors looking like they had been carved from solid rather than moulded. For longevity this may be no bad thing, but it would make me wonder how much genuine payload they have. (Incidentally, a height of 2.2m sounds awfully low to me!)

I doubt if Autostar would be able to supply conversion parts for a 1992 Aryal - but that's going to be true for most other makers of motorhomes of that vintage. It might be wise, though, to check the availability and cost of a replacement windscreen as this is particularly vulnerable on an A-Class.

You also have to keep in mind parts.......some foreign manufactuers are a nightmare for getting parts shipped to the UK. Which is why we for one, stick to UK manufactuers for the hire side. Some bits can take up to a year to arrive.

You also have to think that the MOT wont mean anything, you will have to pay import tax to bring it over here, SVA testing, mot, registration and the warranty won't mean a thing over here! You can transfer a new vehicles warranty - but on a 1992 it wopuldn't really work!

Think carefully - you can get an 92 a class over here for 8 - 18 depending on size and condition. 20 will buy you one under 10 years old. And that is uk reg, uk warranty and uk tax.

Have a word with someone who has imported before you follow the heart....i know it is hard - i nearly done it myself once with a beautiful Laika. But spares for these foreign conversions are a headache!

Rainbow-Chasers' - 2009-01-16 8:09 PM

You also have to keep in mind parts.......some foreign manufactuers are a nightmare for getting parts shipped to the UK. Which is why we for one, stick to UK manufactuers for the hire side. Some bits can take up to a year to arrive.

You also have to think that the MOT wont mean anything, you will have to pay import tax to bring it over here, SVA testing, mot, registration and the warranty won't mean a thing over here! You can transfer a new vehicles warranty - but on a 1992 it wopuldn't really work!

Think carefully - you can get an 92 a class over here for 8 - 18 depending on size and condition. 20 will buy you one under 10 years old. And that is uk reg, uk warranty and uk tax.

Have a word with someone who has imported before you follow the heart....i know it is hard - i nearly done it myself once with a beautiful Laika. But spares for these foreign conversions are a headache!

I don't think he's planning on bringing it to UK.

malc - you are sooooooo right.

Can't afford the taxes and other crap that you guys put up with any more.

If we buy the old dog, it'll be staying with us here in Spiccyland, where local road tax is 37 euros. A year.

It'll venture (and no doubt break down) all over Spain.

And Portugal, and Southern France. And maybe Italy.

But the Sparkle and I don't do cold anymore. Or frost. Or UK taxes.

To everyone who has commented/advised on this thread, can we say a BIG thankyou.

We have decided, over dinner (and some wine) tonight with two friends who also have a MH out here (and then some more wine) ........that we're gonna see the venerable thingy again tomorrow and go through it with a fine toothcomb.

But so far, we think we might dive in.

Derek - Many thanks for your comments.

You're right about the height......oops!

I mixed up the width and height on quickly glancing through the Dealers spec sheet; it's width that's quoted at 2.2 metres. Height is quoted at 2.9 metres.

Doh!

Rainbow-Chasers' - 2009-01-16 9:09 PM

Well... as Bruce mentioned, we won't be bringing it back to the UK, just chugging around Spain and surrounding areas in it. Plus although there are some great deals in the UK you can't put Spanish plates on anything over 15 yrs old and we don't want to spend a vast amount of dosh, and we need LHD.

Our main issues were that we needed something spanish plated, LHD, with a low fixed bed ( I hate the new high ones) and larger than what we have to make it worth changing to.

So... there we go, thats where we were.

Now we are in the position where we need to start advertising to sell Martin, as we pick up Stanley on Friday!!!

Sparkle - 2009-01-17 2:54 PM

Now we are in the position where we need to start advertising to sell Martin, as we pick up Stanley on Friday!!!

Well done you.

By the way, I will have him showered, shaved and ready for the off as soon as you have got a bid for him!!!!!

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Sylvia

Sorry, somehow missed this earlier.  It seems the deed is now done, but do have another go at the price, if you can.  The oldest prices I can quote for Autostars are from 1998, from the French motorhome press.  The rate of depreciation after 10 years is slow, but they quote Fiat based Aryals (all models) between €15,340 and €17,650 for that year.

You’re probably not paying too much over the odds (though I think you’re nearing top dollar), taking account of the tyres etc.  However, if you haven’t already done so, do fully wind out the awning to check its condition and just make sure everything else is working properly or that the dealer will replace FoC what fails.

Last thought: have a very close look at the seals before you part with your cash.  Most vans are put together with ticky-tacky, and strong sun (or at least ultra violet light) is enemy No 1 for ticky-tacky.  Unless it has been re-sealed they must be near the end of their natural span, especially in view of the improvements in sealants in the intervening period.

Good luck.

Randonneur - 2009-01-17 3:42 PM

Well done you.

By the way, I will have him showered, shaved and ready for the off as soon as you have got a bid for him!!!!!

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Sylvia

Do you have a reserve?

And is that a bloke or price???

Many thanks Brian . . . . .. We did try and get a better price, but we arrived at 10.06am, and at 10.07am another couple arrived to look at it for a 2nd time...and while we were there it was generating a lot of interest, possibly as it was the cheapest he had. I think if we had walked away then we would have lost it.

For the price we feel we have a good deal - theres the new Truma Combi Boiler which alone is 1398 uk pounds retail price without any of the fittings or control panel or fitting, 5 new tyres, brand new reversing camera (worth 545 euros), all transferencia (worth about 350 - 400 euros), plus the years warranty.

According to him, and they have been going since 1974 the warranty is for everything.... if the tap breaks, they'll fix it, if the oven don't work they'll replace etc... I know we only have his word but he didn't seem like your average car salesman. Infact there was no hard sell at all.

The important thing for us was it was a way of getting 99% of the features we wanted (compromising on the large garage for a scooter) at a price which wasn't up in the 40k bracket.

I certainly think we'll get a lot more out of him than out of having the money sat in the bank anyway!! LOL

Tracker - 2009-01-17 8:30 PM

So where will you move to when the house sells Kathy?

Not tired of Espana surely?

No no no......never!

We'd stay local as we love the area, theres so many great places in Spain but at the moment we're happy here. Plus Bruce has bookings through the whole year which we have to honor....but thats only IF we sell.....market not good out here but we're happy either way really.

Sparkle - 2009-01-17 8:15 PM

Well done you.

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Sylvia

Do you have a reserve?

My other half's name is Martin, thought you had put him up for sale for me.

Randonneur - 2009-01-17 10:36 PM

Sparkle - 2009-01-17 8:15 PM

Well done you.

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Sylvia

Do you have a reserve?

My other half's name is Martin, thought you had put him up for sale for me.

LOL!!!

Archived