Rear Bumper.

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

My thanks to all who gave me details of rear bumper suppliers recently and today I had the new bumper fabricated and fitted by CLH Trailers of St Clears (on the A48 near Carmarthen).

They are a family business and a great bunch of guys (I even got a free bacon roll!) and skilled metal fabricators able to design and build a tow bar or bumper to fit any van on the spot, either while you wait (by appointment), or leave the van there for half a day or so.

Mine is made of steel section 80mm x 40 mm and 5mm steel plate throughout and is a hefty bit of kit that even I should not be able to easily bend. The aluminium decking plating covering was an afterthought and not only tidies it all up but could help deflect crud from dirty roads from the back of the van.

http://www.clht.co.uk/

I will try and attach a picture

848907567_NewBumper.JPG.83797c0f3441d5902212dad7bdcdccbb.JPG

Guest Tracker

Thanks Tony for that sound advice - I'll store it under the snooker table that we keep in the washroom!

And please don't mock my summer outdoor bathing pool - being almost a pensioner it's all I can afford!

Having once reversed a van straight into a skip maybe I shouldn't comment, BUT, having too strong a rear bumper would concern me as it will transmit bumps into the mounting points, I have two stories about that if pressed. Also I know a van has aerodynamics not much better than a brick, but I would like to see that bar raised to not further hinder airflow.

Guest Tracker

Fair comment Colin - but in the event of a rear impact sufficient to transmit damage to the Alko chassis whilst we are away from home I might still have an almost usable van as it is whereas without it I wouldn't even have a loo to sit on!

The bumper is not as low as it looks in the photo and the lower edge is the same level as the rear skirt to try and offer that some protection from ferry ramps etc.

Also as Autocruise's new owners (Swift) no longer support spare parts if it is gonna get damaged it may as well be a biggie rather than a minor grp shattering inconvenience!

CLH will fabricate to whatever height you ask for and they have made it exactly as I asked for and as we all discussed and agreed as the best place and height.

Nothings perfect - it's all a compromise - and I just hope that it will fend off careless parkers - me included - although in many years I've damaged one yet - but I keep trying!

I forgot to mention the cost - around £120 - but it will vary according to van of course.

Guest Tracker
Mickt - 2009-01-17 7:29 PM

How,s your payload

The bumper is under 30 kg and I recently visited a weighbridge 95% loaded and with a note of what was not loaded (wife and dog mainly!) and found to my delight that I had 360 kg of the stated 655 kg payload to play with before I hit the plated 3500 kg so I reckon all up I will still have around 150 kg spare - perfic - just enough for a case or three of wine!

The arrangement looks good, I assume the alloy cover is not chemicaly anodised and protected from corrosion, therefore if it were mine I would disassemble and heavily paint all parts, including the steel. Particularly the 'inside' of the alloy, I would also paint the ends and arrange WD40 on the outside alloy surfaces.

It looks as though you are not likely to stand on the bumper so I might be tempted to grease or paint it for protection, either yourself or the next user would be gratefull for that I'm sure.

You mention the back of the van, I've seen larger RV's with an apron hanging under there.

That's a nice looking pert little 'bottom' you've got there Richard!

:D

You seem to have got a very good job done for the extremely reasonable cost. I assume if you had wanted it to double up as a tow bar they could've done that as well (including the electrics)?

Hi Tracker, nice looking bumper you have there, if you wanted to stop transmitting heavy bumps through the van there is some very attractive rubber boats fendering that can be fitted onto it with-out spoiling the general good looks of the nice neat job. PS. If it is hollow you can carry your wind dodger in it. I did in my last 'van....

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2009-01-17 11:04 PM

That's a nice looking pert little 'bottom' you've got there Richard!

:D

You seem to have got a very good job done for the extremely reasonable cost. I assume if you had wanted it to double up as a tow bar they could've done that as well (including the electrics)?

Thanks Mel it's always good to have one's bottom admired by a person of impeccable good taste like wot you are!

I don't know for sure about wiring but as they make trailers with lights etc I assume they could cope or if not know a man who can, and yes custom made towbars are in their repertoire.

Guest Tracker
libby - 2009-01-17 10:39 PM

The arrangement looks good, I assume the alloy cover is not chemicaly anodised and protected from corrosion, therefore if it were mine I would disassemble and heavily paint all parts, including the steel. Particularly the 'inside' of the alloy, I would also paint the ends and arrange WD40 on the outside alloy surfaces.

That is the plan - drekkly!

Guest Tracker
Ranger - 2009-01-18 12:01 AM

Hi Tracker, nice looking bumper you have there, if you wanted to stop transmitting heavy bumps through the van there is some very attractive rubber boats fendering that can be fitted onto it with-out spoiling the general good looks of the nice neat job. PS. If it is hollow you can carry your wind dodger in it. I did in my last 'van....

Thanks for that good idea David - and perhaps I should put a life ring on the back of the van just in case of flood and just to complete the maritime look!

libby - 2009-01-17 10:39 PM

It looks as though you are not likely to stand on the bumper so I might be tempted to grease or paint it for protection, either yourself or the next user would be gratefull for that I'm sure.

You mention the back of the van, I've seen larger RV's with an apron hanging under there.

The alloy chequer plate corroding should not be a major concern other than where it is fastened to the steel bumper bar itself. Aluminium forms a self protecting oxide layer very quickly and will not, under normal circumstances corrode any further. The fixing points would be an area of concern because that is where dissimilar metals are in direct contact and in the presence of water (especially salty water) electrolitic corrosion can take place. So there is no need to grease, paint or add WD40 to the ally plating except around the fixing points.

D.

My comments on protecting aluminium are based on working with the material for 64 years (and ongoing) in various industries from aircraft production to veteran car and motorcycle repairs.

It is correct that aluminium alloys form an oxide when exposed to air, but can vary according to the chemical composition of the alloy, I doubt if the material specification is known here. The bumper part shown is extremely vulnerable hence my suggestion of protection.

To suggest no further corrosion will take place after the initial oxidisation period is somewhat unknown, corrosion worms its way into aluminium alloys like a rabbit warren and cannot be seen until a later stage.

Personally I avoid leaving any bare metal on vehicles exposed to the atmosphere. I’m also conscious of removal problems and the next follow on buyer.

Bill

While I accept your points Bill, the material in question here is alloy chequer plate (AKA tread plate) and it is designed to be left untreated and outdoors. There is little point in treating chequer plate when used for its intended purpose because any coating would soon get worn off by people walking on it. Hence there is no reason to coat or treat the chequer plate in this application except for at the points of connection due to possible electrolitic corrosion due to the dissimilar metals being in direct contact.

D.

• 1 year later...
Guest Tracker
This is for the benefit of an anonymous forum member who is looking for a reasonably priced rear bumper - aren't you Ray!

I have to say my instinct is with Libby (Bill) on electrolytic corrosion.  What Dave says is entirely true, but with the aly covering the steel armature, it will not be possible to see where points of contact are developing, for example due to vibration en route.  I would add to make absolutely certain that there is no exposed copper anywhere near the aly (unlikely), as this will have it double quick - even water dripping from exposed copper overhead telephone wires will have its evil way with aluminium!  For complete peace of mind I would be inclined to look for some self-adhesive neoprene tape to apply to the back of the aly section, to ensure no physical contact is possible, and that only marine quality (Rich will understand this!) screws or bolts etc are used for re-fixing.  Then, he'll be able to salvage the bumper from his van when he trades it in in 20 years time, and transfer it to his new Bath chair.  :-D

Guest Tracker

Thanks for those words of comfort Brian and when I too get my bath chair we can perhaps form a forum hells angels chapter for motorised wheelchair racing and general anti social speed trials in shopping centres up and down the UK.

I did in fact take the cover off earlier this year as I caught the end and it was easier to drill the pop rivets out and straighten and refix it than to try and do it in situ and there was no evidence of any corrosion anywhere - not even around the rivet holes - so I am happy that it will last OK and be fit to transfer to a bath chair in due course.

colin - 2009-01-17 7:03 PM

Having once reversed a van straight into a skip maybe I shouldn't comment, BUT, having too strong a rear bumper would concern me as it will transmit bumps into the mounting points, I have two stories about that if pressed. Also I know a van has aerodynamics not much better than a brick, but I would like to see that bar raised to not further hinder airflow.

I have to agree with colin on this one. I am not convinced its a good idea on any level.

Guest Tracker
ips - 2010-08-19 10:12 AM

colin - 2009-01-17 7:03 PM

I have to agree with colin on this one. I am not convinced its a good idea on any level.

Fair enough fellas - but I like it just fine the way it is as it nicely protects the delicate and difficult to source rear end panels both from low level impact and from low lying obstacles and I see no need to change anything. Indeed it's height and precise location are to my own specifications in conjunction with the maker.

In the event of a rear end impact hard enough to damage the bumper's chassis mountings I venture to suggest that with or without the bumper that much impact is going to cause serious damage to both bodywork, interior and chassis anyway - and at least I can still get Alko chassis parts and another bumper!

We must agree to differ as maybe we would all design our own add ons to meet our own perceived needs - or take an off the shelf item?

I'm not saying my bumper is perfect but it does give me some peace of mind and is very similar in design and execution to those costing a heck of a lot more of my hard earned pension!

Another thought just crossed my mind (and it is sincerely meant to be of possible use)

Do you think that you should inform your insurers that the vehicle has been "modified" you know how they will use anything to get out of paying up, at least you will have told em.

Guest Tracker
ips - 2010-08-19 10:32 AM

Another thought just crossed my mind (and it is sincerely meant to be of possible use)

Do you think that you should inform your insurers that the vehicle has been "modified" you know how they will use anything to get out of paying up, at least you will have told em.

Done it - no issues with either a bumper or a towbar - but thanks for the tip anyway!

Archived