Info needed on Truma Combi heater "C6"

BGD

Our new (well new to us, although it was born in 1992) motorhome has just had the original Alde "wet" space heating (via little radiators) and hot water heating system replaced with a brand new Truma Combi "C6" heater, which heats the van via blown air ducts, and heats the domestic hot water.

It looked very flash and techie when I saw the MH today at the dealers (we collect it next Friday hopefully).

Does anyone know anything about this particular model of combi-heater?

Any good?

How do you operate the damn thing?

I'm assuming it's gas powered only, but that the fan blown-air bit works off the 12 volt system, so you can use it without mains hookup.

Will using the fan for the blown-air van heating drain my leisure battery very quickly?

Any advice gratefully received.......

:-D

BGD:

Instructional literature for Truma products can be downloaded via

http://www.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/index_gb.html?&language=en_gb&dataLanguage=en_gb

Best, I think, that you read the official Truma instructions, see how you get on with the heater once the motorhome has been handed over to you and, if you've got any follow-up questions, ask them at that point.

Gas-only Combis are pretty simple to operate (it's the gas/230V versions that can be confusing), but there doesn't seem much point trying to talk you through the process theoretically when you haven't got a heater to look at and when Truma's documentation will do the job more effectively.

A Combi 6 flat-out is said to use 480g/h of gas and around 5.6A of 12V power, so it will be tough on leisure batteries (much harder than an Alde 'wet' system) if used a lot in cold weather. It's inevitable that a blown-air appliance with a 6kW output is going to require a powerful fan to distribute that heat around the motorhome, and that this fan will draw a goodly amount of current.

When the heating requirement is less and the blown-air fan is running more slowly and infrequently, a Combi will obviously be less 12V power-hungry, but, if you enjoy cold-weather camping and want to keep your motorhome hot inside, you'll need a fair-sized battery in good condition to drive the heater.

Derek - many thanks.

I've downloaded all the info on the combi 6 as you suggested....looks a very flash piece of kit. (We're not used to any MH equipment under about 178 yeras old, so using it'll be fun!)

The leisure battery is 95ah, and we're not heavy 12 volts users when parked up overnight, and also tend to travel onwards each day, so it gets recharged daily.

First thing I'll be doing is chaning all internal 12 volt light bulbs for LED ones...I did this on "Martin" our current venerable motorhome and have been extremely pleased with how they work.

The other help is that whilst it does get cold here in Spain overnight in midwinter, the heating season here is only perhaps 3 months, and obviously not as bitter at night as in Northern Europe, so hopefully we'll not be needing to use it on 12volt power for very long of an evening.

We've also got a gas oven in this "new" MH (see how basic we've been until now!), so I guess we could always just fire that up and leave the door ajar for extra direct heat too.

BGD:

My Hobby's C-6002EH heater has a similar output and 12V current drain to yours and I manage to get by with an 80Ah leisure-battery - so you should be OK with a 95Ah battery (as long as it's a good 'un!) in Spain.

Not sure whether your suggestion about leaving the gas-oven door open was serious or tongue-in-cheek. I've seen dire warnings in motorhome handbooks about using the gas hob and/or oven as a living-area heater, though I can't recall what reasons were given (carbon monoxide poisoning, asphyxiation, accidentally setting fire to your cat?) Anyway, it's supposedly bad practice and it would definitely produce plenty of condensation if you did it for long periods.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-01-18 6:31 PM

BGD:

My Hobby's C-6002EH heater has a similar output and 12V current drain to yours and I manage to get by with an 80Ah leisure-battery - so you should be OK with a 95Ah battery (as long as it's a good 'un!) in Spain.

Not sure whether your suggestion about leaving the gas-oven door open was serious or tongue-in-cheek. I've seen dire warnings in motorhome handbooks about using the gas hob and/or oven as a living-area heater, though I can't recall what reasons were given (carbon monoxide poisoning, asphyxiation, accidentally setting fire to your cat?) Anyway, it's supposedly bad practice and it would definitely produce plenty of condensation if you did it for long periods.

Thanks. Sounds like we'll be OK with the C6.

We'll give it a go and see how we get on.

(Incidentally, you're right: engaging in bad practices for long periods of time in our Motorhome does indeed seem to generate condensation........)

Archived