Who wants to buy "Martin"?

BGD

Regulars will know that we're just buying a soooooper-dooooooper (and expensive) MH.

Thus the way we are repaying our present, wonderful and faithful "Martin" motorhome for his years of loyal, trouble-free service is......to sell him!

I'm trying to get an adverty thingy in the For Sale section here, but without much luck so far. I'll keep trying.

I don't want to upset the Mods (any more than I normally do), so I won't put all the advert details in this post.....but if anyone would like further details on the very bestest, and cheapest 4-berth overcab motorhome currently available on the entire planet ("Martin" is LHD, on UK registration), with the added excitement and adventure of flying/driving over here to the Costa Blanca to get him; an overnight stay plus beers and Bailey's at our place here thrown in, just PM me anytime for details and lots of piccies.

Here's a link thingy to "Martin":

http://nomadshow.piczo.com/itemsforsale?cr=3&linkvar=000044&pc=tr

Muchas gracias amigos.

Bruce & Kathy. :-D

JudgeMental - 2009-01-18 2:05 PM

Hi Bruce.......So what have you bought?

"Stanley" has replaced "Martin" as the object of our affections.

Have a look over in Chatterbox under "We'd like to confess".........

Guest Tracker

As Martin has a new 120ah battery you might like to consider checking what capacity and how good Stanley's battery(ies) are before you part company with a good battery just in case Stanley's is tired?

Likewise with any other swapable bits, as it is not often one has the benefit of two vans to mess about with simultaneously?

I know - I'm just a tight old sod - but no point in spending cash you don't have to?

Guest Tracker
I have to wonder Mel just how you come to discover that Sparkle is a wonderful and talented performer and in what area of expertise her talents excel?

Tracker - 2009-01-18 8:54 PM

I have to wonder Mel just how you come to discover that Sparkle is a wonderful and talented performer and in what area of expertise her talents excel?

My fame is just known everywhere obviously......

I could always sign him in indelible marker.....might put the value up.

Tracker - 2009-01-18 7:54 PM

I can personally vouch that the Sparkle is a wonderful and talented performer.

And she is an expert tease of my area.

;-)

ian81 - 2009-01-20 10:23 AM

Hi Is 'Martin' road legal i.e. with current UK MOT and tax?

Hi ian -

He's registered in the UK, so would only need a UK MOT (rather than the Spanish equivalent, which is called ITV over here) and UK roadtax once back in the UK if he returned to trundle around there rather than Spain.

ian81 - 2009-01-20 6:42 PM

....so it is not legal to drive currently? Is it on a 'SORN'?

It's in Spain at present of course, but yes, it is SORNED with the DVLA, as it's UK registered but is not being used on UK roads..

Bruce ....

I don't want to rain on your parade and I'm sure many are too polite to say this but ... could I suggest that you conduct your 'business' regarding selling 'Martin' by PMs rather than in open forum? It was funny at first to see your postings about selling your beloved motorhome but I suspect if anyone in the UK did this we'd soon have the thread pulled. Others who want to sell their vans use the official advertising channels, although I note that you have had difficulty with doing this, perhaps contacting the forum moderator or a direct email to MMM might help in this regard?

When I was selling my canoe I put a jokey posting on about it, not thinking for one minute that anyone on the forum would buy it and indeed it went to a very good home via eBay, however, for some reason it really did "incite" one particular forum member, which was never my intention. I wouldn't want you to experience the 'comments and jibs' that I did from this individual about it, both at the time and for some time afterwards.

By the way, I think Martin's a lovely looking little fella!

:-D

ian81 - 2009-01-20 11:03 PM

Sorry but it is not legal and would be an administrative nightmare to sort out. So will carry on looking elsewhere.

Sorry Ian, but I don't follow as to why it would be "an administrative nightmare". It's a UK vehicle.

Just the same process as any other vehicle in the UK.

I and the buyer fill in the two bits of the V5 to confirm the change of ownership to DVLA.

Buyer takes Martin for a UK MOT once back there......it is in top mechanical condition, so no probs.

Buyer taxes Martin.

We're only asking £7,900.....and Martin is in fantastic, rust-free condition.

I've seen the utter rubbish rustbuckets advertised on ebay for anything up to 12k for same year and equipment spec.

But hey ho.....

The problem for a UK purchaser is that as soon as the wheels hit UK soil it is illegal. I doubt very much they could drive off the ferry and into a pre-arranged MOT and, assuming it passes, then tax the vehicle immediately to make it legal to drive home. Besides which, if the vehicle is UK registered then it is illegal to drive it anywhere. Insurance could prove interesting as its presumably been out of the UK for a while.

D.

Guest Tracker
davenewell@home - 2009-01-21 6:03 PM

The problem for a UK purchaser is that as soon as the wheels hit UK soil it is illegal. I doubt very much they could drive off the ferry and into a pre-arranged MOT and, assuming it passes, then tax the vehicle immediately to make it legal to drive home. Besides which, if the vehicle is UK registered then it is illegal to drive it anywhere. Insurance could prove interesting as its presumably been out of the UK for a while.

D.

What if Bruce drove it here on his Spanish legal paperwork and once it was delivered and standing off road and on a private drive in the UK the new UK paperwork could be sorted out and a new MOT arranged?

Tracker - 2009-01-21 8:06 PM

davenewell@home - 2009-01-21 6:03 PM

D.

What if Bruce drove it here on his Spanish legal paperwork and once it was delivered and standing off road and on a private drive in the UK the new UK paperwork could be sorted out and a new MOT arranged?

Because "Martin" is UK registered AND SORNED (S O R N meaning Statutory OFF ROAD Notification, in other words the owner is declaring the vehicle to be OFF ROAD and not used) it is illegal to drive it anywhere in Europe (and quite probably a lot further afield too), regardless of whatever paperwork Bruce might have.

Besides, whoever is the driver, as soon as it hits UK soil it needs an MOT and road tax. Therefore even our hero Bruce cannot legally drive it from Spain to a destination in UK.

Having said all the above the underlying problem is that to be truly legal in any European country the vehicle in question needs to have a current UK MOT and road fund licence as it is registered in the UK. Without either of these it isn't even legal (officially) for Bruce to go to the local shops in it.

D.

Just checked this afternoon........the advice is that it's legal to come off the ferry in the UK so long as if stopped by Plod on the way home you have proof (ie documentary proof, or the phone number of the MOT station who can confirm your story to Plod) a pre-arranged MOT appointment booked and you drive to it.

You can even stop on the way, so long as you don't take the micky and drive for 1,000 miles before eventually getting to that MOT station several days later.

And once armed with your new MOT certificate you apparently have to eother drive either straight home and not use the vehicle until you've got the RFL for it, or go straight to a post office to get a RFL disc.

If coming back into the UK with a UK reg'd vehicle whose road fund licence and/or MOT expired whilst it was outside of the UK, you can do the above.

My legal beagle there also pointed out that in practice, the chances of getting a pull, whther or not you have your pre-arranged MOT to drive to, are tiny. Viz, the hundreds of thousands of vehicles that are now driven daily in the Uk without any MOT, or RFL or insurance, or even without all three.

BGD - 2009-01-21 9:22 PM

Just checked this afternoon........the advice is that it's legal to come off the ferry in the UK so long as if stopped by Plod on the way home you have proof (ie documentary proof, or the phone number of the MOT station who can confirm your story to Plod) a pre-arranged MOT appointment booked and you drive to it.

You can even stop on the way, so long as you don't take the micky and drive for 1,000 miles before eventually getting to that MOT station several days later.

And once armed with your new MOT certificate you apparently have to eother drive either straight home and not use the vehicle until you've got the RFL for it, or go straight to a post office to get a RFL disc.

If coming back into the UK with a UK reg'd vehicle whose road fund licence and/or MOT expired whilst it was outside of the UK, you can do the above.

My legal beagle there also pointed out that in practice, the chances of getting a pull, whther or not you have your pre-arranged MOT to drive to, are tiny. Viz, the hundreds of thousands of vehicles that are now driven daily in the Uk without any MOT, or RFL or insurance, or even without all three.

This is all very well as long as it passes its MOT, if it fails you can legally take it home or to a place for repair but no further until it goes for another, pre-arranged MOT. Having no rust is no guarantee of an MOT pass, there are many other items it could fail on form a simple blown bulb to a poor handbrake or a leaking wheel cylinder giving rise to low service brake readings, even a split CV boot will bring about a failure.

D.

Many of these replies are true as far as the UK is concerned. The fact of the matter is that as has been stated it is illegal to drive in Spain or anywhere. The only legal way forward as far as I can see is if 'Martin' is registered in Spain and then a purchaser could export it and re-register.

RESULT!! ............. "Martin" is now sold.

Already!:-D

We nipped down to Benidorm this morning and placed a couple of adverts on noticeboards in shops there. Had only just got back home for lunch and an English guy called Mike rang wanting to see him.

He came over straightaway, spent 5 minutes looking him over, and then said he'd pay our full asking price. He'd already seen all the documents and receipts and service history etc, and is aware that Martin's UK Roadtax is out and UK MOT is out.

Very nice chap. He's been a motorhomer and caravanner in UK and Spain for 26 years, (he certainly knew what he was talking about regarding all the kit/systems in Martin).

He's been looking for a few months now in UK and Spain for a cheap and cheerful MH and has seen dozens of 'em, but he said (later on after the deal was done and signed!) that he'd not seen anything anywhere near as good as Martin for that sort of money or indeed quite a lot more.

Bugger - should have asked more!!

Deposit paid, over coffee at our house; and now "Martin" is due to leave our tender care early next week, once we've transferred our stuff out of him into "Stanley", who we are due to collect from the Dealers tomorrow morning

Martin will be apparently be trundling round in both Spain and the UK from time to time in future with new owner Mike at the wheel......give him a wave when you're overtaking him!

Archived