Channel Tunnel booking

Hopesy

Hi All, having more or less decided on dates for France in September, is it better to book the tunnel crossing now (I'll be using Tesco Vouchers) as i know times etc or is better to wait and book last minute, in other words does the price ever drop closer to the date because they haven't filled available space?

Also any recommendations on aires and sites in the Auvergne region especially on the Puy de Dome. Also thinking of visiting Oradour sur Glane near Limoges. Any advice gratefully recieved.

Oradour sur Glane a very moving experience, 642 people in one village wiped out, reminds you how awful wars are. There is a well designed visitor centre with plenty of parking for larger vehicles. Take your time when you walk throught the derelict village and dont forget to have a look in the underground monument next to the cemetery at the top of the hill. There is an aire in the village in easy walking distance, quite modern but with some sloping pitches. Also a couple of sites in St Junien about 5 miles away.

Re Oradour Sur Glane, there are 2 aires, 1 near the stadium and another actually in the new village at the side of the Tourist Office, this one is only small. There is a large car park at the Memorial Centre and also a very large car park just farther up past the Centre.

Although we have never used the Tunnel we keep looking at it and the prices never alter, I don't think it matters when you book, just remember to book online and not wait until you get there. We did try to use the Tunnel and just turned up after looking on the net but they wanted to charge us £125 for a trip that if we had booked online would have been £69, so we turned round and went with Norfolk Lines.

Have a great trip.

Oradour-sur Glane.

We visited last summer and indeed found it very moving.I have thought about this massacre many times since. This happened in 1944, before I was born. However, I can't help drawing comparisons with what has happened in the last three weeks in Gaza. I am finding this even more distressing.

Sorry if I am being a bit contentious.

Enjoy. your trip. It's a beautiful part of France and Oradour is not to be missed. We are going again this year. Just hope the exchange rate improves.

Bob

Hopesy - 2009-01-18 6:48 PM

Also any recommendations on aires and sites in the Auvergne region especially on the Puy de Dome. Also thinking of visiting Oradour sur Glane near Limoges. Any advice gratefully recieved.

I had to change my tunnel booking in 2007 by two days and they increased the price by £20 so I would book early if you are sure of the dates. I agree with the others about Ordour sur Glane - extremely thought provoking and very, very sad yet a worthwhile experience.

As for the Auvergne (my neck of the woods as they say!) it is a huge area of course so it would be easier if you can be a bit more specific. You can no longer drive up the Puy de Dome as far as I am aware and they are in the process of building a train for the ascent. However, this may not have started yet so I think that the bus is still operating. It used to be lovely to drive up in the evening at sunset and watch the hang gliders but no more! In fact they have stopped over nighting in several mountainous areas but there are still lots of aires. Towards the west there is Le Mont Dore with several aires, one on the way to the Sancy and others in the town itself. There is an aire at La Bourboule but lots of m/homes park in the town itself without problems. There are quite a few campsites too. It's a beautiful area with lots of forests and lakes so parking is a joy. Most towns have aires and some are superb such as Montsalvy which is south of Auriac - fabulous parking bays with picnic tables, heated shower and toilet building and all free! Pm me if you need more info on a specific area.

If you are booking with Tesco Points its best to do it now. There are two reasons for this. Firstly Eurotunnel operate their fares the same way as budget airlines, so the fuller the trains the more expensive the fares. Secondly there seems some evidence that the crossings available to Tesco customers is limited so you could miss out if you leave it too long. However I have always found Eurotunnel willing to change crossings and you only pay extra if the new crossing falls into a higher fare band. I had to cancel my September trip last year and wasable to rebook for May of this year with not extra cost.

David

Archived