Hi, I'm another "newbie" looking for suggestions!

josie gibblebucket

I have a Holdsworth Minuet and although its in reasonable condition, it desperately needs a new carpet or other floor covering. The trouble is, it looks as though the carpet was laid first, then all the fixtures and furniture put in afterwards. Does anyone know how I can go about replacing the carpet? do I just have to cut around the edges right up to the furniture, or is there another way? Also, is the original carpet likely to be glued down, if so is it even possible to remove it? Any suggestions would be gratefully received! :-S

Guest Tracker

Hi Josie - what a lovely surname - wish I had one like that - and weelcome to the MMM home for the terminally insane.

I don't know about Holdsworth specifically but Motorhome carpet is not usually glued down very firmly, if at all, and if you cut around the edges it should just peel away.

Not much point in removing it from under lockers too - just plonk offcuts on top of the old if you want to lose the colour.

You might even consider taking the old carpet away and using underlay and 'gripparods' with your nice new carpet as this gives a really luxury feel and also helps insulate from cold a bit and deaden road noise - but it is time consuming.

If you get the old carpet out in one bit you could use it as a template but be very careful that it is absolutely flat if you do! I tend to cut the new carpet about an inch oversize all round to be safe and then trim up the excess when it is properly in place.

Good luck - have fun grovelling about on yer knees in the confined space and it is easier on a cool day than a hot day!

Hi Tracker, thanks for that! I'm wondering whether to try and put vinyl or something similar that would be easy to keep clean, with loose fitted carpet on top? At the moment there is not much clearance to open the loo door, so although underlay sounds wonderfully warm, I think it may make it too thick. Being a panel van conversion I need to do the cab as well, so it looks the same all through. I think its going to be tricky & there certainly isn't much room for a lady with my proportions to move about much, but I think it would be very expensive to get the local caravan dealer to replace the carpet for me so I'll have to try DIY. :-|

Guest Tracker

Loose carpet on vinyl can be very slippy and a bit dangerous unless you fix the loose carpets in place with poppers or summat similar.

Vinyl floors are all the fashion right now but mainly on continental vans 'cos it's cheaper in production and fine in warmer climes but we don't like cold feet so we always cover it up with nice thick carpet. That said we are all different and I can see the merits of a vinyl floor!

You might be - or might not in some cases - be able to take doors off that are too long and carefully plane them down a bit or maybe in some cases just re hang them a wee bit higher?

Like most things in life, it all depends....................................................?

Hi Josie, welcome to the Forum, you should join the Holdsworth Owners Club, J9withdogs is a member as am I, but my Holdsworth Ranger is long gone, had a few strokes so had to get an automatic. The Honorary President is Richard Holdsworth who attends most meetings, Chairman Iain Mackinnon, email:- mackinnonsouth@aol.com Chris Chamberlain is the sec email:- ethelchamberlain@aol.com a nice friendly club with several rallies every year mostly in South of England and an excellent quarterly news letter writen by Janice Baldwin with inputs from various members. janice.baldwin33@yahoo.com

Hi Ranger, thats brilliant info! I had wondered if the owners club was still around because there used to be a Bristol address mentioned for it in some of the motorcaravan mags, only I hadn't seen anything about the club for a long while so thought it must be no more! I see there is a "ranger" for sale on the knightmotorcaravans website, I can't say I've actually seen one for real but it looks remarkably spacious for its size and very light and airy. Is it possible to get replacement bits and pieces for holdsworth vans, I know they have been out of production for some years now. Specifically I want a replacement pull down door for the grill front and a black plastic panel for the outside where the fridge vents are. So sorry to hear about your strokes, but glad that you are still able to enjoy your hobby in an automatic van! Thanks again for the details of the club.

Hi josie,

It might be an idea to try the local carpet warehouse for a roll end and get them to fit it for you. We had to have the carpet in our last AT Cheyenne replaced as a result of a Brownhills maintenance (don't ask!). I think they charged about £3 per square metre for fitting and made a brilliant job.

best of luck

Mike P

Hi Josie,

I would suggest cutting the old carpet away from the furniture, and gluing vinyl to the floor, then cutting two pieces of new carpet a removable sections for the van floor, securing them with self-adhesive heavy duty velcro patches, to hold them in place. This will allow them to be easily removed, so that the vinyl floor can be swept out.

For the cab use the rubber floor covering as a template to cut a carpet section, and have all section bound by the local carpet shop - approx cost of binding 75p per foot.

I have replaced the carpet in our van twice this way.

Best of luck, and enjoy your motorhoming.

Hi Nicola, and welcome.

We've had removable carpet in three different vans, and always been happy with it. Present wagon has it as standard, with press studs & vinyl underneath, but I did it myself for our old Transit.

As far as slipping is concerned, this is more of a problem the smaller the bits of carpet are. Best is to cut the biggest pieces you can cope with, to fit tight up to each bit of "fixture." Then you've not only got the advantage fo lots of friction stopping it sliding around, but the irregular shapes of the furniture you've cut round will hold it in place too.

Enjoy your van - and the places you go in it!

Tony

We had carpet in ours when we first got it, but within a short amount of time pulled it up to reveal the old lino.

With a dog as well, its just so much easier to sweep clean than carpet or tiles.

Out here we can get a mat on a roll which has small slats with holes in it, which is also no slip. Its usually used for bathrooms or kitchens. But is ace as any sand or small grit falls thru the small holes, so you just shake it out each morning and w're set to go. Its also slightly warmer on the feet than just lino.

Hi again Josie, Back to carpets, I expect you have heard of 'Magimats'. They are made of rubber and have a very fine pure cotton pile, they will clean wet muddy boots/shoes just by walking over them. Are on sale at most motorhome shows, all have a guaranty, they are now available off the roll, so have a look at your next motorhome show, you may be able to recarpet your 'van out all neatly fitted, and once down they they don't move. Wide range of colours, and can be washed in the machine and dry very quickly on the line. So you noticed the Holsworth Ranger at Knights. I Part-exed my Ranger with him. H.O.C. members deal with him quite often as our rally sec: knows him. The one he has is not mine, a local friend of a friend has my old Ranger, so I still keep and eye on it, best Motorhome I ever had.

I had one thought on reading this thread which just might prove helpful:

If you are going to cut out the old carpet, could I suggest you consider cutting out just a small section first, so you can lift it up and peer under it in advance of cutting any further....just to check there are no wires or pipes running along the edge of any furniture under the carpet, before you then use your trusty Stanley knife to carry cutting the carpet away from the edges of the furniture all around the inside of your motorhome.

Hi and welcome to the funny farm! There are various types of creatures that 'live' here, some placid, some friendly, some that just like to chew the cud and others that can give you a nasty nip, so just remember one thing ... all of these creatures at some time or other produce some type of manure so make sure you've got some good 'wellies' and a cattle prod handy! (lol)

As for your carpet problem, I got some great rubber backed cotton topped (dirt gripper type) industrial mats at the Peterborough motorhome show and again at another outdoor show, they were massive, about 3m long and 1m wide, they were only £5, yes that's £5 each! They have proved to be great ... the only downside is they are 'grass' green but it's just like having a lawn in the van ... fortunately the dogs haven't tried to use it as they would the garden lawn! :D :$

You can get the 'proper' cotton/rubber ones but they are expensive (although they are good), instead Morrisons, and I noticed Tesco also, do similar types of things too but much, much cheaper, B&Q used to as well. Also, don't forget a market or such like as often there is a carpet stall there with cheap runners.

If you do go down the carpet route though and use velcro to stick it down, make sure you put the fluffy bit on the floor and the hook bit on the back of the carpet, otherwise when you brush out the dirt etc from underneath you'll get fluff stuck on the hooks! Also, be careful when trying to take out carpet, of whatever kind, it can be quite rough on furniture and fittings and scuffs them quite easily.

Helloooo fellow Holdsworth owner!

I can confirm that the carpet in mine is also holding up all of the fixtures and fittings, so I use loose mats to cover it.

I'm not now a member of the Holdsworth Owner's club as all of the rallies were too far away from me, but the other members are a mine of useful information and very happy to help with queries.

Have fun!

Archived