Alan Rogers guide

Guest JudgeMental

Yes, it looks quite good. The jury is still out on whether we will visit Switzerland this summer. We have so many choices we find it difficult to make our decisions.

Do you recommend pre booking camp sites in Switzerland in June? In France in June we don't have to book, we can just turn up and that is so easy - we meander around the country as the weather and our mood take us.

It may depend on which area you decide to visit. I always head for the Oberland - absolutely fantastic scenery - and my favourite site is the one at Lauterbrunnen. First went there in 1965 when it was just a field and the family lived in the only chalet on the site. It was magical and I will never forget my first view of the Jungfrau. Anyway now it is a very bust site but still well run (last there in 2002) so it might be worth a phone call. Pitches on here a quite a good size, particularly if you can get one by the river, but many Swiss sites are very cramped. We were on one once and could not open any of the windows as we were so close to the vans next to us (this was when we were tuggers). We could not reverse out again because he had lined up new arrivals on the access road! Also in June quite a few of the passes will be closed still but the waterfalls will be spectacular. The weather can also be variable. We were there one June having spent the previous week in our pool to be met by heavy snow followed by one day very hot, next snow etc. Wonderful views though.

Archived