Continental VancoCamper Tyres

Knaus

Barrie,

How do you find driving with the Continental tyres. We have the Michelin Camper as fitted from new. I hate them grip is terrible if you happen to be accelerating as you drive over a manhole cover they spin and also sometimes on wet roads, they are usless on wet grass, and before someone says that front wheel drive vehicles are hopeless on wet grass mud etc, its not always the case. A few years back when we had bad snow we had no problems in the snow when others were stuck, we just ploughed on.

It will be interesting if these tyres are better than Michelin, they are certaily cheaper.

David

David Dwight - 2009-01-19 8:42 PM Barrie, How do you find driving with the Continental tyres. We have the Michelin Camper as fitted from new. I hate them grip is terrible if you happen to be accelerating as you drive over a manhole cover they spin and also sometimes on wet roads, they are usless on wet grass, and before someone says that front wheel drive vehicles are hopeless on wet grass mud etc, its not always the case. A few years back when we had bad snow we had no problems in the snow when others were stuck, we just ploughed on. It will be interesting if these tyres are better than Michelin, they are certaily cheaper. David

If your avatar depicts your van, I don't think you'll notice that much difference.  The problems you refer to would appear to be due to a longish rear overhang, and hence substantial weight transfer from front to rear.  Ours has Continental Vancos, is a similar design, and has similar problems.  Too little weight on the driving axle.  Our previous van had a short overhang, much more even weight distribution, and much superior traction. 

David:

Your motorhome is fitted with Michelin XC Camping tyres. This is an obsolete design with a reputation for lacklustre grip on slippery surfaces.

XC Camping has recently been replaced by Michelin's "Agilis Camper". I don't know how this compares with VancoCamper performance-wise, but there's no reason to believe it would be inferior.

I had Michelin Agilis 81 tyres on my Herald and have Continental Vanco-8 tyres on my Hobby. Can't say I notice any significant difference between them.

The better the grip, the softer the rubber, the quicker it wears. That is the general rule with tyres. It is about working out what is best for you. If you have a chat with the tyre fitters they will tell you who the tyres are really made by - many high brand makes, actually have cheaper brands under different names.

I find MAXXIS are a great brand, being both budget, great grip and hard wearing. It is trial and error really in deciding what works for you, and your vehicle - as they all react differently! I had a 7 series BMW that was wonderful on Kuhmo - put them on the o/halfs 100nx (at the time) and they were awful - barely drivable!

Tyres are a funny thing!

Archived