Seafrance

Randonneur

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2009-01-24 8:46 PM

I dont know you could always by 10 tickets at £390 that to me dont seema bad price even when they add on the extra £9 each way still a good price ,

What i like about the Shuttle is you dont get thrown about and bad weather dont stop you .

That's excellent value IMO at £96 each for 5 returns. But what if you don't want 5 returns? If you have a good friend you can split these of course:-D (they need to have the credit card that you booked with)

Summer cost of a return with P&O and Norfolk was £80 and tunnel almost double. under these circumstances I will book a ferry and put up with it.

This year aim to have a few breaks in this country as well *-)

JudgeMental - 2009-01-24 8:41 PM

"tunnel £100 more for same crossings,"

maybe the same crossing but certainly not the same long and boring experience...... Tunnel worth the extra every time.

last year we saw "fusion man" flying above us, definitely not boring,only 1hr more than the chunnel so unless you earn more than £100 an hour it,s better value, also the ferry gives you a chance to chat to fellow travelers. in june we were heading towards agde, told there was a festival in luxembourg,fantastic, hit adge 3days later than plnned, but thats why we bought a m/home, FREEDOM from schedules.

Just phoned C&CC with whom we (only last week) had booked crossings with Seafrance in July/August. If the worst happens, and Seafrance does go down, C&CC are ABTA bonded so we should get our money back. C&CC have said the first thing they would do would be to try to get us another crossing with another company. So we'll just wait and see.

ike

Guest JudgeMental
handyman - 2009-01-27 4:07 PM

JudgeMental - 2009-01-25 1:51 PM

That's excellent value IMO at £96 each for 5 returns. But what if you don't want 5 returns?

We only used 4 of the tickets last year, but we break even after 3 returns, so the 4th was 'free' anyway.

we only used 4 as well and managed to get a full rebate on 5th as we said we were unable to book due to restrictions due to their fire :-D

if you dont ask you dont get.......

with the euro/£ rate so poor we are planning a week at wistsun and 4 weeks in summer and that is it! so probably P&O (summer return £66) rest will be breaks in bleak old Britain (formally Great :-D )

Used them last year, told my Wife we will have full breakfast , waiter was charming. Breakfast came up , eggs like rubber ,toast solid, bacon underdone. Sent it back asked for Chef,and that started the ball rolling, others now seeing what was happening done likewise.Chef now going ape.Would never again have their meals on board i said but it seems it is coming true.

Pastiche - 2009-01-27 6:57 PM

Used them last year, told my Wife we will have full breakfast , waiter was charming. Breakfast came up , eggs like rubber ,toast solid, bacon underdone. Sent it back asked for Chef,and that started the ball rolling, others now seeing what was happening done likewise.Chef now going ape.Would never again have their meals on board i said but it seems it is coming true.

Is asking a French chef to do a "Full English" a bit like asking a Kosher chef for a ham sandwich?

Bob :-)

Patricia,

Good to see you are educating our French cousins.

Your post made me recall that our "twinning" visitors from Normandy many years ago also liked the "Full English" we always laid on for them on Sunday mornings. Perhaps Seafrance are missing a trick by not employing a breakfast chef who can do a proper job? We English know that any fool can throw a few croissants on a plate and make bowls of milky coffee, but a top-notch, real breakfast requires genuine ingredients, skill and good timing.

Bob ;-)

We crossed with Sea France on 8th of Jan. We booked through the C&CC and it cost us all of £26.75! We were booked on the 11.00 hrs sailing, but as usual we arrived 20 minutes before the 10.00 hrs sailing and were waved onto the ealier crossing for no extra cost. The ship was virtually empty and a truck driver told me that there was very little commercial traffic crossing the channel at the moment, so perhaps P&O might be experiencing the same problems.

But if they do stop sailing, does that mean I'll be marooned in France, and we'll have to go touring Mainland Europe in my van forever :-D ?

Tony Jones - 2009-01-29 12:00 PM

I've done full breakfasts for up to 40 people, so I'm sure I could develop my skills to the necessary level. I for one would be willing to "work my passage" by taking charge of this in return for a free crossing!

Any other volunteers?

Same number of people Tony but I had to cook on open wood fires!

"But if they do stop sailing, does that mean I'll be marooned in France, and we'll have to go touring Mainland Europe in my van forever ?"

You hope Tomo! Is that a return fare you are quoting? Surely not!

What's the weather like over there? Were you caught in the storms?

No, you are correct Patricia, it is a single fare. We aren't due back until mid July, so I don't book a return in case real life intervenes and we have to return earlier.

We drove through France in freezing weather, but no snow or winds. It was so cold on one night, -12, that our water pipes iced up and the waste tank valve froze. We had to abandon aires and seek a site for the night. Despite that from the moment we landed at Calais, until we reached Spain, during the day there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Since then we have had a few cold, grey, windy, days where the shorts have had to be re-packed, but at the moment we are in Torre Del Mar where the sun is shining and yesterday, (Thurs.) it was hot enough to get sunburned! :-)

I don't know how I keep going with this stress! (lol)

• 3 weeks later...
I am very surprised that LD-Lines are still going through with their new routes and even bringing the launch forward by 6 months. Nice ferries but a pity they don't like m/homes - their prices (from what I can see) are hugely inflated against those for just a car. Perhaps some of the Sea France people may find jobs with them instead as both are French companies.

Archived