Pet Names 4 motorhomes

Guest Georgina Powell

My wife does this sort of thing (is it a woman thing?). Her first car was called Louis because the letters were LUE. But now I've got no excuse - we are KE05 EEN ('keoseen'), and it's the only way I can remember the plate - it sounds like kerosene. The new registrations are much more difficult to memorise!

Guest Mike Chapman
Hello Georgina, Great name POPPY you could also have used HEROINE at least until HM Customs pulled it apart. Ours is called ROSIE from 590RS (5=E, 9=I add ORS and anagram is ROSIE), the wife is a crossword fanatic. Thats on a good day on a bad day its #*??&% van. Regards, Mike Chapman.

We are a fickle lot so our camper has a personalised plate of the old style. The camper is called Arthur. (R4 MOT.) Our old bus was Murphy (MRF 232L) Sad ain't it!

Guest neil whiting
hi, ours is named oz because of its number plate and we tow a small trailer, which yes you guest it its name is tow tow .

our Elddis' reg no was H273 ECR - Hector of course! Our Swift Suntor FE51 PEO became Peony. Our current one is FN03 CUX - know occasinally as Cruxley Pig (from some kid's TV show I think!). The best vehicle names we've had were our 'micro' cars: - a Bond Minicar Mark G Estate (MDT 90D) was called, no, not James but Basildon Bond - why? My husband is a stationery buyer! - I currently have a Fiat 126 which we were offered the chance of a number plate for, it was just so suitable we had to have it - F126 TOT so he's known as Totty!!! Whether he'll keep the reg I don't know as I'm trying to sell him but I hope his new owner keeps it on him. Oh, our first camper - a Commer Autosleeper conversion - MMJ was in the reg and as we are in the Micro Maniacs Club (microcars) some of our friends called it the Micro Maniacs Jalopy! His real name was Marmajuke (yes I know that's not the proper spelling!). Our 'normal' car has FLX in the reg, yes, it's known as Felix.

Guest Dave Newell
Our first van was affectionately known as OZ after the Auf Wiedersehen Pet character because it was plain ugly (1978 Bedford CF Autohomes Trailblazer with a mixture of dirty white paint, red lead and good old iron oxide), very thirsty and frequently broke. Our next 'van was another CF known to us as Uriah (the heap). This was a great van although again it looked a bit rough. Then came Freddy the Freight Rover and our current motorhome (Autohomes Highwayman and our first real motorhome) who is known to us as DT (Dick Turpin). dave@davenewell.co.uk

My American RV is M9 ARV. If you squint your eyes it reads My ARV! Bought it direct from DVLA and pretty cheap too. MelE, saw a 5th wheel and customised US pick-up truck at Americana, the number was WE51 ERN. Yup, it read WESTERN! MelB, I followed a Merc on the M25 before Christmas, the reg was FEL 1X! Regards Neal

We have never managed to come up with a suitable name for our van. We have a 'work' Vito and the mh plus a corsa van. No one has a clue which van is which. Always wanted an affecionate name for the mh. It has it's own plate - L1 AKA - no prizes for guessing on what. Even just saying the big van is not enough - all suggestions gratefully received.

Guest David Leek
HNY to you all. We call our MH – CISCO (Laika 7r) His name came from the Film “Dances with Wolves” (Name of K. Costsner’s horse) He stated in the film: “It had never let him down and had got him everywhere he wanted to go”. (until the bad guys shot it) Hi, Norma , We enquired after No Plate C1 SCO but alas we decided a small engraved brass plate = £10. would suffice. (No. Plate = £5873 incl. VAT) Safe and Happy travels everyone.

Hi we call our current M/home Milly.Sometimes called empty as the reg is MTE, its an Ace Milano. Our previous was a Compass Clipper known as Bessie. David

Guest Mike Burley
Our first van was a 1973 commer, HAT599L, which we had for years and called Hat, Every van we have had since has been given some sort of a name, but they always ends up being called hat, just like the first one. Mike

Guest john mc
Saw a couple of plates in Australasia that might interest you all, a brand new Saab carried the plate "KEMO", a Porche 911 carried 1X1, and a Lada 4x4 LA DE DA my own Pilote has BAJ and i'm in two good minds to call it Basil It has a typical French haughty look about it and does'nt like to talk about "ze war"

Guest Maureen Smith
Our latest motorhome cost more than we paid for our house!! We paid £38,500 for the house in 1984 and £42,000 for the van in 2005. Maureen.

Good point, Maureen. House (1979) £21,500. Merc van (2000) £25,000+ and MH in 2000 £38,500. First computer, though, in 1980 £84,000 and mobile phone in '87 - £2,000!

Guest Mike T
Hi all We have named her " Nelly " it's the biggest white elephant we have ever bought. We did have some problems when we had it first but would not change her now it's sorted .!!

Our house cost £4410.00 back in 1966 so put a zero on for "Arthur" our motorhome and then add a bit! We keep houses longer than we keep motorhomes though.

True, I must admit my cost did include personal number plate, extended chassis, special roof, special wiring and a Merc base and the very good amount allowed on a traded in caravan but it was over 8 years ago. Our bungallow is now worth nothing - but the half acre of land it sits on just outside Basingstoke is worth a couple of bob - if I wanted to be homeless. So, One of each is a good compromise, one to roam and one to sit. Roll on summer. Clive

Archived