autogas/low temperatures/feedback

Ruth

I have read with interest recent postings about refillable gas containers/autogas maybe being problematic at low temperatures due to a proportion of butane in the mix. We had never experienced any problems ourselves. I'd just like to report that on our trip last week we probably had the lowest temperatures ever on a ski trip (well below -20 at night) and had no problem. Regards, Ruth

Useful info, Ruth. Obviously, if there is Butane in the mix, it has to be low enough to prevent problems arising, otherwise every gas-driven vehicle would have to switch back to its basic fuel (petrol or diesel) in cold weather. This must be even more the case in the heart of Continental Europe, where it's typically colder.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Not sure that's the case, Mel. Autogas is designed for use in vehicles where gas is delivered to the motor in liquid form, so a fair dollop of butane in the propane won't matter. The potential problem for motorcaravanners is that their 'domestic' appliances rely on gas being delivered to them as vapour and, if there's sufficient butane in the autogas 'mix', then, in very cold weather, vaporisation in the gas tank or bottle will be inhibited.

So, I'm still not sure that I've seen any hard evidence of anyone who has had a problem with it...have you? I would be interested to hear about if if it has happened. Regards, Ruth

Guest Guido ON7CI (Flanders)
Dear Ruth, The reason you had no problem at -20 C is likely due to the fact that you tanked LPG in the UK. In your country LPG is 100 % propane and confirming what Derek said: LPG stays in gaseous state (which is necessary for heating - for driving you need liquid LPG) down to - 42 C. Now, on the continent it is a different story: LPG has an entirely different composition with, in most coutries, large percentages of butane, which is only gaseaous above 0 C. A few examples of the ratio propane to butane (averages) in Europe, you may want to remember when filling-up: Austria 50/50 Belgium 50/50 Denmark 50/50 France 35/65 Italy 25/75 Netherlands 50/50 Spain 30/70 UK 100/0 Germany 90/10 The reason you may run out of "gaseous" gas can be illustrated with an example. Say your tank is 100 L and you tank for the first time ever, in Belgium and you cook and heat at - 20 C. Amount of propane to butane: 50 L propane, 50 L butane. When the tank seems empty, there is still 50 L butane in it. Second filling leaves the tank with: 25 L propane, 75 L butane. Third filling: 12 L propane, 88 L butane. After the third filling there is only 12 L available for heating instead of the 100 L you expect. Conclusion: try to tank in your country before leaving; tank in Germany if you can during your stay on the continent; try to find a propane pump - and this is almost impossible to find in my country (I did - fortunately, because during the low activity season, i.e. winter, the heater in our MH is always on as long as the temperatures stay below 0 outside). Guido ON7CI

Very informative and useful, Guido. Thankyou. It makes buying a second refillable bottle a much less attractive proposition for Brits who intend to tour a lot on the continent.

Archived