Continental Road Signs

Don Madge

Some recent posts have indicated that some motorhomers will be venturing abroad for the first time and may become confused by some signs on the continent.

Many are self explanatory like in the UK but some might take a bit of working out and if one is driving and trying to work out road signs at the same time it could be a problem.

This site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_European_traffic_signs covers most of the commonly seen signs.

If one scrolls down to the bottom of the page to "SEE ALSO" there are even more signs to be seen.

Safe travelling.

Don

Thanks for this Don, it'll be really helpful to those who cross the water for the first time, but also to people like me planning to go to new countries this year.

It's also worth pointing out the differences in how some signs are used - especially direction signs at junctions.

In France and many other countries, signs which (to us) seem to point left or right are positioned so that they point "into" the road to which they refer - often straight ahead.

So you could get two signs pointing to each other, with the same destination on them - which simply means that the road they refer to is between them!

Obvious and logical once you know about it, but confusing first time round!

the only signs fred gets confused about don me ansum is the ones that look like two human fingers but for sum reason are joined at the bottom. us normally just waves back and goes merrily on our way. probably best really if u dont understand what they means in a foreign country.

fossorialfred

Don I have only been following this forum for a short time and I am amazed at your data base of information and knowledge. How on earth do you keep these things filed or recorded? Or do you have total recall? Impressive any which way, and thank you.

Porky well fed and happy despite not being able to find things I am sure I have somewhere.

fred grant - 2009-01-23 7:17 PM

perhaps us should call don yer madgesty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f & a

No need Fred just a small donation to the destitute pensioners fund. In your case half a pig will do. :-D :-D

Another sign for you, could never understand why it is in English as the pic was taken in Egypt. 8-) 8-)

RS4.jpg.06a197e2f76bc6d0a867d36be44b8d00.jpg

Archived