Fiat Debt

Melvin

They've been cash-poor for many years now, in fact I recall that they nearly went under not too long ago (5 years or so?).

They've just signed a sort of "survival-plan" on sharing development costs (called a "stratiegic alliance") with GM......who are also of course in enormous doo-doo themselves.

There are gonna be some very very big-name casualties in the global automotive industry this year.

Me? I'd buy a Tata.

They're cash-richest manufacuturer now. So they might actually still be going in 12 months, and thus you might be able to get spares/warranty claims on 'em.

Guest JudgeMental

Who isn't in trouble for Gods sake! *-)

Aah!....tata...cash rich are they?

That will be why a colleague has been offered a Range Rover for 30k (retail 68k) as they have hundreds stuck at docks and they cant get rid of them....

Fiat have brought into Chrysler who have no small cars, I'm guessing Fiat are now hoping to ship small cars to US which they have struggled to do before. Not sure how Italian gov stand now but historicaly they have not let Fiat go bust.

Hi,

Where is he getting that sort of offer from I was looking at a Jaguar a couple of weeks ago when the were reporting they were having difficulties and there were no special discounts being offered

JudgeMental - 2009-01-22 6:13 PM

Who isn't in trouble for Gods sake! *-)

Aah!....tata...cash rich are they?

That will be why a colleague has been offered a Range Rover for 30k (retail 68k) as they have hundreds stuck at docks and they cant get rid of them....

About a month or so ago, I read an article with the boss of Fiat cars. He said that in the past, the engineers ran the company. As a result, they took 4 years to design cars that the engineers liked, but which could not be built well by the workforce (robots et al), and which the public outside Italy did not want to buy.

Over the last couple of years, Fiat cars have brought in professional managers to run the business and keep the enginners focused. Their last car took less than 12 months from design to market (the new little one) and is selling profitably and by the bucket load.

Time will tell if Fiat survive although I'll give their management credit for at least trying to turn around Fiat which is more than some of the Yankee firms are doing.

Guest JudgeMental

"Hi, Where is he getting that sort of offer from I was looking at a Jaguar a couple of weeks ago when the were reporting they were having difficulties and there were no special discounts being offered"

I will try and find out (if he gets it lol) he is being very tight lipped.....It is not from a dealer but direct via the back door*-)

Jaguars have horrendous depreciation! another chap at work, Jag valued at 10k part ex against a 40k Audi. He paid 38k for it 2 years ago *-) You really are better of buying audi/merc/BMW

if you can afford it fair enough I suppose, but I have better things to spend my money on :-D

Guest JudgeMental
George Collings - 2009-01-23 8:21 PM

The Fiat /Chrysler tie up amongst other things involves Fiat building a plant in the States for Chrysler to buld Fiat models and also have access to Fiat diesel technology. The phrase grasping at straws springs to mind.

fiat have been on the verge and struggling since I was knee high to a grasshopper :-D

Hi,

I can perhaps understand the reason for them wanting the Fiat diesel technology. I have a Fiat Panda 1.3 Multijet Diesel, and I must say that having covered 23k in the last 16 months it has performed faultlessly and returned over 60 mpg on most occasions, plus I believe it is one of the new generation of small diesels with a chain driven cam, so hopefully none of the problems inherent with the belt drives.

I must give credit to Fiat I was always very sceptical about any of there products, but I have had no major problems with my 2004/5 Ducato based Bessacarr and the Panda is really a great little car and such value for money, that i will be purchasing another later this year.

Archived