Newbie Question regarding Motorhome Rear Legs

Ian_n_Suzy

Hi,

The Motorhome we have just bought has legs on either corner at the back of the Van. They look very similar to a Car Scissor jack.

My question is, how are these to be used? Are they to level the van off? Would you wind them till the wheels are off the ground?

I am unsure of their use!

Thanks in advance

They are steadies, and are intended only to stabilise the van so that it doesn't rock, or pitch, as you move around inside, on in windy conditions.  Usually fitted to vans with longer rear overhangs.  Do not, under any circumstances try to level the van with these, far less jack it up.  If you do, you'll break something very expensive!

Level the van first with ramps etc, then lower the steadies to stabilise it, if necessary.  Then, place the winding handle in the footwell on the driver's side, so you don't drive away with them still down :-)

Hello, already got me 4 way spirit level :) - It came with one.

mike 202 - 2009-01-23 6:40 PM

They are for limited levelling, also to stop the van bouncing up and down when you move inside. They should not under any circumstances be used instead of a vehicle jack, they are not strong enough.

So am I right in thinking they are wound to the ground then wound a bit more (kind of till the suspension is stretched) but not so far as to lift a wheel off the ground ?

CHEERS

Brian Kirby - 2009-01-23 6:42 PM

They are steadies, and are intended only to stabilise the van so that it doesn't rock, or pitch, as you move around inside, on in windy conditions.  Usually fitted to vans with longer rear overhangs.  Do not, under any circumstances try to level the van with these, far less jack it up.  If you do, you'll break something very expensive!

Level the van first with ramps etc, then lower the steadies to stabilise it, if necessary.  Then, place the winding handle in the footwell on the driver's side, so you don't drive away with them still down :-)

MANY THANKS Brian - I can follow that.I did get a couple of levelling blocks with the MH also. So now I have a better understanding of how it all works together.

Ian & Suzy:

There is a surprising amount of previous discussion about this. If you search the forum using "corner steadies" as the search-term, you should retrieve most of it.

A particularly educational earlier thread that deals with matters rarely covered by motorhome magazines is:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10837&posts=27

Hi Derek,

I did use the search engine first, but my main problem at the moment is the terminology. Until you typed "corner steadies" I would have never guessed they was called this.

I think I searched for "corner jacks" so I wasn't a million miles off - but far enough to return only one result of no relevance.

Thanks again for the pointers and I apologise if im being a pain in the backside.

CHEERS

(If it wasn't for using the search engine to my numerous queries I could well be on my 210th post rather than my 21st lol - I have ALOT to learn)

Oh forgot to say - The article you VERY KINDLY posted out to me arrived today (I not been in the office but got a call to say it was there).

VERY MANY THANKS for that.

Ian n Suzy, Take serious note of what Brian Kirby said about use of corner steadies! The new owner of my last van came around to see me a couple of years ago to get a bit of advice about the damage he had done to the 'van by using the corner steadies to level the van. I would not of thought so much damage could have been done, the steadies were bolted to frames extending the chassis and they were all buckled up along with part of the bodywork. Estimate for repair verging on £2000. So remember THEY ARE ONLY STEADIES!!!!!!! NOT JACKS.... PS What goes on on the top of Cornish hills Fred????

Mel B - 2009-01-25 6:42 PM

so that you can't ever forget when they are down .... unless you like ploughing! :D

lol - thanks to all for the replies - I am pretty confident now on how to use these, MANY THANKS.

I will make myself a little sign to stick over the steering wheel to remind me that the "steadies are down".

CHEERS

Archived