Motorhome or Campervan

Kris

Whats in a name?

Just a thought, but can anyone please tell me what is the difference between a motorhome and a campervan?

I know many say there is none, it's just what you want to call it, but is there a difference?

To me a campervan is called that when it has no toilet or shower room, so you cannot live in it, as such. (often called Caravanetts in the distant past. We had one 40 odd years ago).

A motorhome (regardless of size) but not fully insulated, can be lived in for weeks or more, because it has everything in it, like a home.

But the larger motorhomes with full insulation etc can be lived in all year round, and often are, instead of a normal "house". A real motor home.

Am I correct in calling our 17ft, with tiolet/shower room a motorhome, or is there another name for us little ones.

Kris

Hi Kris

We have a Autosleeper Symbol - We call it "the van" having said that we called our previous 24ft coachbuilt "the van" also.

A friend with a caravan (very misguided person) also calls his "the van".

We usually refer to the Symbol as a camper if asked about it. Others call them PVCs - Panel Van Conversions.

DVLA registered it as a motor caravan though.

I also think your thoughts are spot on. Take your pick and call it what you like.

Bob

I think motorcaravan is a good name for smaller units. It seem to suggest at least a minimum level of "home comforts" whereas motorhome sounds more sophisticated. I always think of a campervan as more of a bed on wheels, I don't mean anything disrespectful by any of this. Anyway we all enjoy the freedom our 'vans give us whatever we call them.

Camping Car. (French preference)

Recreational Vehicle. (Yank preference)

Harvey (Think about it!)

Tardis

Bus (we had a converted one)

Van,

Motorcaravan,

Dormobile (Martin Walker made a few)

Escapemobile (my favorite)

Call it whatever you like, just go out and ENJOY!

C.

Over the years, we've owned 2 high-tops, 2 overcabs, and a pop-top VW.

Among ourselves, we've always just referred to them as "the van" (except those which have had pet-names!).

But in sentences like "We run a ... " we've tended to say "motorhome" or "motorcaravan" for the coachbuilts, and "campervan" for the others.

In Roxie's case that may be pushing the definition a bit - call it false humilty or inverse snobbery :-( - but she IS still a van conversion, and on a SWB van as well!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I seem to have got it right for once.

I agree with Tony- when telling people we say "we have got a 17ft motorhome" but between ourselves its just "the van".

It seems quicker to say "are we going out in the car or van today"

Kris

Archived