Reversing Camera - How can I tell if I have it set correct?

Ian_n_Suzy

First off, I have tried to search for an answer to my query but after 15 mins of the search engine "timing out" I gave up.

Our new MH has a reversing camera / tft display that looks a treat to use in daylight.

I have just been out to test how it works in the dark and I can see only a VERY feint image on it. I believe it has some sort of "Night Vision" has there are small clusters of LED`s around the Camera lens.

I know this is a daft question before I ask it - but here goes, are these supposed to light up or does it work via some kind of "infra-red light"?

If they are supposed to light up is it supposed to be automatic or do I need to find the setting for it (I have looked already).

Also, it isn't linked to the reverse gear (it's on all the time) - I didn't test if the night one is linked only to the reverse switch is this likely to be the case? (I didn't test it because I have no drivers seat attached. I had removed it to replace the Leisure Battery, lol).

It is a "Vision - RM500" if that is of any help to anyone.

Thanks in advance

If it is any help to you, I get the best after dark picture by switching on the rear fog lights. Which obviously are red. I noticed that first when I put the brakes on, the extra bright red lights seem to do the trick. Not the answer you were looking for but it does improve the picture.

The likelihood is that the infra red LEDs surrounding the lens will switch on automatically when ambient light levels fall below a pre-determined level. The truth of it is that these infra red LEDs are about as much use as an ash tray on a motrbike, they have a very limited range and tend to be very focused into a small area. I usually find that the rear side lights and reversing lights give far better illumination after dark. Mind you I find very littel reason to reverse my motorhome after dark, I'm usually too inebriated by then to find the keys anyway! :$

D.

Ian,

If you are getting any sort of useful image when it's completely dark outside (and with none of the motorhome's exterior lights on), then it's a fair bet that your camera's LEDs are working as they should. As Dave advises, the image provided by just a few small LEDs won't be great, particularly if the camera's 'aim' is straight backwards (like yours and mine) rather than directly down the motorhome's rear wall. When my own WAECO camera's infra-red LEDs are operating it is possible to see them glowing dully if one looks closely.

My camera system operates automatically as far as day/night vision is concerned. There is no manual control for the LEDs (nor for the camera's integrated heater) and I assume this will be the case for other systems with similar cameras.

It would be odd for an ordinary camera (ie. one that has just a single lens and no 'tilting' capability) to behave differently when reverse gear is selected as opposed to when the vehicle is travelling forwards. My system can be switched on or off manually via a button on the monitor, and (apparently) has the option to switch on automatically when reverse gear is engaged. Either way, this doesn't alter how the system functions with regard to the image it provides.

It's pretty much inevitable that, in wet weather, road-spray will mask the camera's view to the rear and glare from vehicle lights at night can be very distracting. See:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14159&posts=9

Slightly O/topic but may be of use to you.

I have a piece of clear acetate sheet on the front of the monitor screen. On the acetate sheet are several lines which show me the width of the van ( plus a few inches each side) used as a reversing aid

and lines which give me an indication of how near I am to object. The latter lines need a little care because of the parallax image. 20 mins and a couple of pieces of 4X2 is all thats needed !

Rgds

Also off topic....

There is a gizmo marketed in France that splits a reversing-camera's image. I believe the product began life as a "Tenner for a Tip"-type entry in a French motorhome magazine and then went into commercial production.

It's basically a small mirror set at an angle just below the camera. The camera is aimed straight down the motorhome's rear wall and the mirror is positioned partially in the way of the camera's line of sight. Consequently, half of what the camera 'sees' (and transmits to the monitor) relates to the area close to the motorhome's back end, but the other half is a rear-view-mirror image provided via the angled mirror.

I've no idea how well this works in practice, but the principle is simple enough if anyone feels in the mood for some cheap-and-cheerful DIY experimentation.

Archived