Refilling Water Tank Via Water Barrel.

warmstr3

I use a 2 gallon water container with a spout and fill manually.

If you fill your onboard tank with a 12 volt pump you are in effect using your battery to pump the water twice.

This is OK when on mains hookup, but could quickly discharge your leisure when wild camping etc. if you do not have another means of recharging your battery.

Bill you have to identify a 12v supply near to the water filler. You would then tap into this supply to create a socket for the supply to the submersible pump remembering to incorporate a fuse. You will also need to extend the wiring on the pump to enable the plug to reach your socket, be careful with the polarity to ensure that the water goes the right way. Finally you will need a length of food quality hose to attach to your pump and reach into the water inlet.

You could also ask a local dealer or Dave Newell to make it all up for you as I feel by asking the question you are possibly stretching your ability in this matter.

Good luck

docted

We have a 12v socket just by the water filler inlet so I just bucket water to the motorhome and use the submersial pump the transfer as our holding tank is only 45ltrs it doe's not take long usually as part of the daily tank service , fresh water , grey waste , black waste.

Warmstr3,

The Whale company offers a couple of products that should be suitable for what you have in mind. Information on:

http://www.whalepumps.com/caravan_RV/product_list/16/81/

http://www.whalepumps.com/caravan_RV/product_list/16/89/

If you GOOGLE-search using "Whale superfill 80" or "Whale portable pump kit" you'll retrieve details of a number of UK suppliers.

I use a 10l jerry can and a submersible pump with a length of food grade hose. The pump is attached to a 12v plug which connects to an extension lead from our only 12v plug in the van....works a treat...but if worried about draining the battery I fill the tank manually.

I have a 12V socket and attach the water pump that way. However, I have been stuck before now for electricity and so cut the bottom off a water bottle and used the remainder as a funnel then poured the water in using another, but larger, water carrier.

We have a similar set-up to Kelly58. Socket is built in to the van by the manufacturer and it came with a submersible pump (we had to buy a short length of hose).

We regularly attend events where we are off hook-up for 4 or 5 days and top up the tank with 20 to 25 litres of water each day from a jerry can.

We use a portable solar panel to keep the battery topped up these days but didn't actually experience power problems before buying it, just gives us more options.

Graham

Archived