skiing in scotland

jondiane

Hello has anyone been skiing in scotland, snow permiting we would like to go half term.we stayed on aires in alps a couple of times so use to problems with the cold weather and filling up with water,just wondered if there are carparks near the ski lift or do you have to stay on a site and drive up everyday.

Hi yes we go regular. Have a look at my blog. We are off to the alps in a couple of weeks but always love Scotland. We have just been to the Lecht, have also been to Glencoe and Glenshee

here has good details. http://ski.visitscotland.com

People do stay in the car parks at these ski area and we have also. Thre's never been a problem but obviously you have to be quite self sufficient.

Car parks are actually at the lifts.

The only problem I could foresee would be if they were truly busy.

Good luck and enenjoy.

Hi jon&dianne

There is a hotel quite close to the White Corries Ski lift called the King's House. In the past we have parked there o/night. You would need to be self sufficient as there are no campervan facilities but they do food. It might be worth a look. Also a wee bit further on from the hotel there is a single track road on the left hand side which takes you to Glen Etive, lots of places to park up. Stunning scenery. Running water from the river.

Happy ski-ing

ike

The more I read the more we fancy .

Just alittle worried re shopping only we never know what one might fancy one day till the next :D Not really just worrying if we were to run out of something with the kids on board how far would we have to make it .

Its not much fun with wheelchairs in the snow .

michele - 2009-01-28 2:43 PM

Just alittle worried re shopping only we never know what one might fancy one day till the next :D Not really just worrying if we were to run out of something with the kids on board how far would we have to make it .

Hi michelle,

There are shops a very short drive away, however you are not too close to a supermarket if thats what you are thinking.

Not like pralognan one bit (lol) where I am off in 10 days, but still very beautiful

In February 07 we stayed on a Forest Holidays campsite at Ardgarton on the banks of Loch Morlich, where we were very sheltered by the woods on the edge of the loch, and where we could see the weather changing on Cairngorm. It took a 10 minute - 4 mile drive, where the weather dropped from 4C to -4C. The road up was always clear of snow, and the funicular railway started in the car park. The campsite was next to a ski hire /general store, and the toilets, showers and dishwashing rooms were really warm, important for this type of holiday.

The only downside was that it can get pretty windy up there, which means they close the lifts and the runs, so we could only ski when it was fine. Unfortunately, when we were there, there wasn't much snow. However, a good tip is that if the weather is poor in one area, it's generally only a 1 hour drive to another area. Go to the Ski Scotland website for up to date ski news. Ardgarten is about 6 miles away from all the activities and shops, restaurants etc in Aviemore.

Jon&dianne From the Kings House hotel I reckon it's less than a mile to the start of the Glen Etive road but I don't know that I'd walk it at night. Easy access to the river is also a bit further down the road. At the beginning it's down quite a steep embankment. If you are willing to drive to the White Corries for skiing you could park behind the Bridge of Orchy hotel, about 10 miles or so further south towards Tyndrum. this is West Highland Way country so if the snow failed you could still get some walking exercise. Good food etc at the hotel, a river with easy access for water, again no emptying facilities. At Tyndrum there is a brilliant sit in/takeaway which has won awards for food. Great fish & chips, and burgers made with real locally sourced beef. There used to be a site in Tyndrum but last time we passed it was closed. you may be able to find a spot nearby for wild camping. Tyndrum has grocers, garage, several hotels, pubs.

Let us know how you get on if you do go.

ike

panagah - 2009-01-30 3:10 PM

michele - 2009-01-28 2:43 PM

Hi michelle,

There are shops a very short drive away, however you are not too close to a supermarket if thats what you are thinking.

Not like pralognan one bit (lol) where I am off in 10 days, but still very beautiful

Show off :D Dont forget I'll be reading your Blogg cant wait so keep us up to date . take some nice piccys for us all so we can all see.

Whilst you are there why not do a winter write up and get paid ??

Anyway have a brilliant time wish you were here jobbie .

Referring back to "wendygetsgoing" earlier contribution. You didn't stay at Ardgarten on the the banks of Loch Morlich ! You stayed at Glenmore ! Ardgarted is south west, near Arrochar, and incidentally is currently closed for refurbishment. Not due to reopen until after Easter I believe.

Archived