Portugal

whisturx

I am planning a trip to Portugal for 4-5 weeks in May-June and would appreciate any advice on places to visit,aires,camp sites, routes and must see places

Travel via Biaritz,Burgos,Salamanca and across to the coast. I will probably go to Aviero and South unless any recommendations for anywhere North ? Is it better to follow the coast ? I get the impression inland is very rural and winding ?

Any tips on tolls and road conditions would be helpful.

Lisbon can be a nightmare in a van, I read in MMM.

Will probably go on round into Spain and Cadiz, Seville, Granada and back through the middle.Unless someone can suggest a better route ?

Would be grateful for any recommendations I have 8 weeks in total so have a fair bit of time

Places to visit?  Braga, interesting historic town with a campsite, good location for Bom Jesus and the Citania de Britieros, both well worth an hour or two.  Visieu, with campsite: another interesting historic town well worth an hour or two wandering.  Coimbra (which is not where Andy Stothert's map places it, it is 25 miles inland!) ditto.  Evora, ditto again.  The roads inland in the north are a bit narrow and twisting, those across the Alentejo mainly straight, but that reflects the nature of the country.  There is so much more to Portugal than just the coast.  They're friendlier that the Spaniards, as well.  The older generation tend to speak French as a second language, the younger ones English.

Seville (Alcazar and Cathedral) is easily visited by bus from camping Villsom, at Dos Hermanas.  Granada (Alhambra) from Camping Motel Sierra Nevada, from which you can walk in.  The reception will book advance tickets (essential!) for the Alhambra, if you stay more than 48 hours.  If in Andalusia, do not miss Cordoba and its amazing Mesquita.  Camping Municipal el Brilliante is walkable from the centre.  For Cadiz, Camping Playa Las Dunas, at Puerto de Santa Maria, is pleasant, and so is the town.  There is a ferry across to Cadiz, which lands you at the old town jetty, perfect for wandering into, and around, the town.  Old Cadiz is fascinating.

Rough guides will tell all on towns and sights.  Caravan Club's Caravan Europe 1, for the sites and directions.  Enjoy!

Many thanks Brian for your advice. Rather hoping there are a few more Portugal fans about ? Or are they already down in the Algarve already avoiding our winter !

If you remember last year you supplied me with a non motorway route through Austria on the way to Croatia. I did in the end use a Go-Box which cost about 36 euros from near Innsbruk to the Brenner Pass. The hardest bit was trying to find the office to return it and collect a refund on the Austrian border ! Croatia was fantastic. We ferried across to Bari from Dubrovnik and back up through Italy.

Hope I can get a few more hints on Portugal.

Hi Ian: We drove to Portugal January/February 2008. If you want a free site then head for Sagres which is the most South West corner of Portugal. It is a large car park at the entrance to a Fort. Around 20 vans were there when we stayed. Loads of room. The tourist information bureax is close by and they will tell you where to get fresh water but the odds are another English van will point you in the direction. We enjoyed it there. Regards...WesleyT

Inland Portugal is well worth touring and the roads are enjoyable to drive. Add Serpa and Beija (I haven't got my map with me so am not certain of the spelling) to your list - both small pcturesque towns with very good municipal campsites. If I can think of the names of other places I will come back again.

Thanks Don,I have ordered Motorhome Trails Portugal

Thanks Brian and Wesley for the recommendations. Any more that you think of would be much appreciated. Usually we seem to visit an area and when we get back to UK somebody tells us what we missed !!

You are right getting to the campsite in Lisbon is a nightmare. Get to it off a motorway and we would never visit there again. Futher down the coast there is a pleasand, relaxing village called Vila Nova de Milfontes. From here you can travel about 60 kms to Sagres. Travelling along the N125 - drop in at Olhao. You can park there right next to the harbour. Around 10 'vans had made their home there when we arrived 26 January 2008. No facilities so make sure you are topped up with water and have dumpt the toilet. Yes, Cordoba is a good place to visit. We camped at Camping Carlos III site at La Carlota. You can catch a bus into Cordoba which is about 25 kms and the cost was negligible. Cost of 3 nights a Carlos III was 52.27 euros. Regards...wesleyT

Some Free Parking Spots in Portugal

This list was compiled in February/March 2007.

We stayed at or visited all the places listed. Some places are rapidly developing into concentrated tourist areas and these parking places maybe swallowed up. The free parking places could be very busy in the winter period (Dec–March). I would suggest the best time to visit Portugal would be April/May and September/October.

Many of the water fountains were turned off a couple of years ago during the drought and have never been turned back on.

In the last few years free camping on the Algarve has become a problem with so many campers wintering in Portugal. It is usually quieter on the western Algarve (west of Lagos) it’s even quieter on the west coast but can be very windy at times

Central and West Coast

BARRAGEM PEGO DE ALTER. (Commonly called Pego by the Brits) Signed off the N 253 Alcacer to Montemor road 6 miles from Alcacer. Excellent long stay place with plenty of parking. Very popular with the Brits on their way home after their winter tour. Spring water available half way up hill. Toilet and shower also available.

BARRAGEM DE MONTERGIL. Situated on the N2 between Abrantes and Montemor. Entrance to camping area along side Shell garage. Water available. Trees could cause problems on entering for large outfits.

PORTO COVO. Small village south of Sines on coast road. Plenty of parking on north side of village on cliffs. Toilets and spring water available, municipal market.

Many beach side parking places between Sines and Porto Covo. One of our favourite spots.

VILA NOVA DE MILFONTES. On N 390. Town on river estuary. Good parking spots at Praia de Furness other side of river from Milfontes. Go south from Milfontes on N 390 over bridge next road on the right signed Furness.

ALMOGRAVE. Signed off N 393. Small village on coast good parking on cliffs above beach. Spring water available and the cleanest toilets in Portugal (closed at night).

PRAIA DE ODECEIXE. Signed off N 120. Poor parking in village. Very good parking on other side of estuary from village. Take unmade road on north side of bridge on N 120. Spring water available.

ALJEZUR. Praia de Amoreiro signed from N 120 north of town. Monte Clerigo signed from N 120 south of town. Municipal market in town on riverside. Parking area behind market toilets and water available.

PRAIA DE AMADA.

Signed off N268 just before entering Carrapateira going north. Not usually marked on maps. Water & shops in Carrapateira village.

CARRAPATEIRA.

Signed of N268 north of Vila de Bispo. Municipal market and toilets/water in village. Very nice beach.

VILA DO BISPO. Don’t go into town centre as streets are very narrow. Take the main exit for the town from the N 125 and this will take you to the supermarket and water/toilet. In town follow the sings for Praia do Castelejo then Praia da Cordoama.

Cordoama is an isolated beach down an unmade road and is good for long stays. At Caselejo parking is very limited. During the surfing season both beaches are very crowded.

Algarve

Between Sagres and Cape St Vincent there is parking on the cliff tops. Usually very windy short term only.

SAGRES . Parking on the quayside for small outfits only. For the larger outfits there is parking in various places in the town and on the seafront. Water/toilet emptying place is available in the town, you will have to ask the other motorhomers for directions.

The fish auction takes place late afternoon at the fish dock complex. If you do attend sit very still or you could be the proud owner of a 100kg box of squid.

INGRINA. Signed off the N 125 at the traffic lights at Raposeira. Limited parking next to the beach.

BARRANCO. Not signed but take same turn off as Ingrina then fork right in 150 metres. Unmade road (bad in places) for 3.5 miles to very isolated beach. Mainly used by windsurfers.

Water is available on the right about 200-300 metres from the traffic lights on the Ingrina road.

SALEMA.

Parking available in village, on entering turn right at sea front and then turn right immediately after bridge, well signed. Toilets in village square.

BOCA DO RIO. Signed off the N 125 at the traffic lights at Budens (Ecomarche for cheap fuel at junction) then tarmac road to beach. Good for long term parking very popular spot in winter. Can get very windy at times. Toilets available next village (west) Selema a 15 minute bike ride. Bread is available from a caravan that is parked in Selema square opposite the toilets. There is a toilet in the Eco supermarket but I would suggest you don't use it for emptying the loo.

LAGOS. Parking behind the railway station in large car park in front of school. Toilets at the Marina. On the road from Lagos to Meia Praia garage on right, parking on urbanisation behind garage. Some parking on hard standings between seashore and road between Lagos and Meia Praia

MEIA PRAIA. Signed from Lagos parking beachside in sand dunes.

BARRAGEM DA BRAVURA. Signed off N 125 at Odiaxere. Water available at windmill on leaving Odiaxere.

ALVOR. Plenty of parking on seafront at eastern end of town near Ocandeerio Restaurant. For parking west of town follow signs for Zona Ribeirina park among palms and oleandas in car park. Could be a problem in the wet. Also parking behind swimming pool.

PRAIA DA ROCHA. Limited parking for vans at eastern end of promenade opposite Hotel Concorde also parking behind Hotel Concorde at lower level.

Praia da Rocha and Alvor more or less run into together along seashore with hotels and apartments.

ARMACAO DE PERA. Parking on car park at western end of town and at the eastern end parking behind football pitch.

QUARTEIRA. Parking at Praia Forte Novo at the eastern end of the town.

FUZETA. Go through village and parking on sea front car park next to camp site (camp site usually very crowded).

PEDRAS D’EL REI. Clearly signed off N 125 west of Tavira. Follow road to lagoon turn right and parking area ahead.

CABANAS. Enter village then turn left at seashore limited parking at far end of coast road. Water tap in municipal bin area on right.

PRAIA DA MANTA ROTA. Parking on large beach car park behind sand dunes. Water available.

Well Don that reply took you some time! Very interesting. Just like to re-affirm the parking at Sagres. On the front you can park in a limited way but 1/2 mile away at the fort there is ample room for whatever size unit you have. We were there 21 Jan to 25th.08. I can send anyone some photos if you email me on wtjones@talktalk.net

For those who have not been there the photos will be very reassuring. Regards...wesleyT

Just a couple of updates to Don's list.

Lagos / Meia Paia - No longer available for free camping

Porto Covo - last easter the free camp areas in the town were closed to m/homes and height barriers erected

Villa Nova de Milfontes - there is now only a very small parking area for about 6 'vans (so usually full) on the hill up to the light house - both the sandy area on the other side of the river and the car park at the lighthouse car park are closed to m/homes.

Portugal is still a great place to visit but we prefer to stay away from the Algarve (too crowded and full of Brits :-D )

Frankkia - 2009-01-29 10:41 PM

Just a couple of updates to Don's list.

Lagos / Meia Paia - No longer available for free camping

Porto Covo - last easter the free camp areas in the town were closed to m/homes and height barriers erected

Frankia,

I agree with you about Lagos, it is no longer a wild camping area anywhere around there except i have heard out towards the lighthouse.

Porto Covo has closed the field in the centre of the village as they are going to build there but there is plenty of wild camping on the cliff top car parks and water available at the old wash house i have heard from my mate who is down there now.

Hi Rond

Yes am aware of the cliff top parking outside Porto Covo but both the town centre ones are now closed. That's the one in the back of the town opposite the library and the one on the front overlooking the sea next to the car park bays.

It's a pity as it was a nice place to visit with an easy walk to the restaurants and with the other facilities close at hand.

Archived