Transit Mk7 Power steering Vosa recall

mike 202

Hi fellow ford based owners, I had to ring Ford to get the steering recall done. Did not get an automatic recall letter, bit worrying. Had my 08 reg (probably 07 build) Mk7 power steering hoses modified as per the VOSA/Ford recall. The job consists of fitting 2 retaining collars about 20 mins job. The mechanic told me it (the recall) was raised because the hoses on 2 vehicles in Germany came undone, sprayed fuel on the hot exhaust and caught fire.

Below is from VOSA Site:-

Vehicle Details

Reference : R/2007/184

Manufacturer Ref : 7C143

Make: FORD

Model : Transit

Launch Date : 08/04/2008

Numbers Involved : 51402

Build Start Date : 11/11/2005

Build End Date : 29/09/2007

Recall Details

Concern : POWER STEERING MAY FAIL WITH ENSUING RISK OF FIRE

Description : It has been established that,the high pressure connection to the power assisted steering pump could detach. Should this incur, loss of steering assistance would ensue. Additionally, hydraulic fluid could leak onto the exhaust with the attendant risk of fire.

Remedial Action : To prevent such an occurrence, recalled vehicles will have the subject power assisted steering pipe fitted with a retaining collar.

Vehicle Id :

Take care, drive safe - Mike

Mike

I had this done in April 2008 as part of the standard recall system. I did not have to make any enquiries, as a letter arrived asking me to make a date with the Ford dealer of my choice.

My vehicle is an Autosleeper Duetto and was sourced entirely within the UK, so probably was an easy one for the Vosa system to keep tabs of.

Michael

My Windsor was registered July 08 and I was told about the recall by my Ford dealer Aug 08 when I enquired about oil to take to Spain for topping up. From your comment Roger I guess I was too quick and beat the need for a secall letter direct from Ford. So far very happy with my purchase.

It's wise to glance occasionally at the section on the VOSA recall database that relates to your motorhome's 'chassis'. Problems often take some time to become apparent to vehicle manufacturers - for example, the "axle shaft may detach" recall was issued in 2008 but deals with Transits built from 2003 to 2006.

Roger, have recently joined ASOC, thanks for the link and the info. We are new to the M'home world and are very pleased to have been given advice and lots of tips, including an answer to my Key Fob problem.

Maybee we will meet up on a club W/E

Regards Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Not had a recall notice but just started my van up and noticed pink oily liquid dripping underneath van from near front off side wheel. There is also a little warning symbol that looks like a steering wheel but can't find it in the handbook. I assume this is probably liquid from the power steering.

Also should I be able to see all the exposed wheels and belts (cambelt?) from underneath the engine? My old van had a large cover under the engine but this hasn't got anything. I haven't spent much time looking under the van but have a vague recollection that some sort of cover used to be there before it's recent service. Can anyone enlighten me on am I imagining it or has the cover been removed for the service and not replaced. Would like to be in an informed position before ringing the garage.

Thanks

Jasper

There is no underpan to the engine bay on ours, so I think they are not fitted.

I would be very cautious about driving your van to the garage if it is already leaking, there is quite a pressure in the hydraulic steering pipes and, apart from the possible firs risk, I dread to think how heavy the steering would become if it dumped the lot down the road!!

Jasper, Brian is right be very carefull.

Please for your own safety just ring your Ford dealer, quote the chassis number and the will immediately tell you if your is subject to the recall, all done under warranty. As it is leaking, if they (Ford) want you to drive to their depot it will be their responsibility if all goes to rats and you dump your fliud on the road or worse still dump it onto the exhaust and the whole lot goes up in flames because VOSA say you could.. Make sure that you have a good fire extinguisher if you drive it. Better if you can ask them to recover you to their garage. Failing that, if you happen to notice the fluid loss away from home then presumably the AA/RAC etc would rescue you to the nearest Ford dealer.

Take care and make the phone call.

Mike

Jasper

Not sure there is an instrument-panel warning-symbol on Transits relating to loss of power-steering fluid - my Mk 6 Transit doesn't seem to have one. However, there is a symbol that (I suppose) might be considered to look like a steering-wheel. This is the Brake System Warning Light and brake fluid is often pink and oily! Suggest you check the fluid levels in your vehicle's brake and power-steering reservoirs as, if you've got a warning light showing, one of them will be well down.

Like Brian's Transit Mk 7-based front-wheel-drive motorhome, my FWD Mk 6 has no shielding below the engine compartment. I don't know if RWD Transits have shielding, but I suspect not. Not sure I've ever seen a road vehicle with an exposed cam-drive (it would be pretty dangerous), but, in any case, Year 2000-onwards Transits have their cams driven by internal chain.

If it is the hoses then the fix is to bolt a clamp around the hose without even disconnecting them. takes about 15/20 minutes. If yours is leaking then maybe new hoses will be needed. Pleased that you have booked your into Ford, we havn't met but glad you will be safe.

Regards Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your responses on this. My van is now fixed!

Although there wasn't a VOSA recall on my van it was, according to the garage, not an unusual problem and was fixed under warranty. The little metal pipe that joins to the rubber hose on the power steering had been catching on the crank shaft and a hole had been rubbed in the pipe. So one worth looking out for.

Archived