Gaslow regulator kit

chas

Have been browsing through my CCC magazine and noticed that Gaslow will now offer their 30mb regulator bulkhead fixing, together with a 750mm stainless steel hose and an 01-1674 propane hand tight connector, so one can use the hose on both butane or propane.

Can find no mention of it on their website or the cost. Seems like a great idea. As any one any further information on it ? The regulator carrys a 5 year warranty.

I can't really decide who is going to purchase this product...

Gaslow's Clesse-branded 30mbar regulator has an outlet-connection for 10mm gas pipework. Many (most?) motorhomes/caravans use 8mm pipework and, to fit the Clesse regulator to these would require a 10mm-to-8mm adapter. To minimise the chance of regulator-fouling most UK motorhome/caravan manufacturers have followed Calor's recommendations and adopted a regulator position near the ceiling of the gas-locker with a 90° elbow attached to the regulator's inlet to connect to the gas pigtail. Gaslow's stainless-steel pigtail is quite stiff - much stiffer than a conventional 'rubber' pigtail - and (as is evident from the Caravan Club Magazine's advert), if the regulator is positioned with its inlet uppermost, a good deal of clearance above the inlet will be required to obtain the necessary curve in the pigtail for it to lead to a gas-bottle. (The Gaslow pigtail's stiffness also means that, for many installations, a 750mm length will be insufficient.) All of this strongly suggests that, for most leisure-vehicles, it won't be a straightforward blink-of-an-eye task to swap one's existing regulator + pigtail for Gaslow's 300 Universal kit and that at least some DIY cutting-and-shutting will be needed - something that the CC usually has a fit over where LPG is concerned.

The Clesse 30mbar regulator has been claimed to be immune to the clogging problems that afflicted GOK(Truma) and (to a lesser extent) Cavagna regulators, and employing a stainless-steel pigtail should remove any likelihood of debris entering the regulator/gas system as a result of the gas attacking the hose's inner lining. I've no problem with using the Clesse product or an all-metal pigtail.

However, I do wonder about the rationale behind offering the Clesse regulator + s/s pigtail as a 'kit' when it's possible to obtain individual components that would exactly match installation requirements. For example, if a high-mounted regulator with 90° inlet were needed, Clesse markets a regulator with that configuration. Similarly, if one can anticipate a requirement to use gas containers of varying height, it would be sensible to opt for a length of pigtail that allowed the shortest container to be easily reached.

Bas:

I based my comment about the Clesse regulator's 10mm connection on what I was told some time ago by Clesse(UK). It's quite possible that (like GOK/Truma regulators) Clesse now produces regulators with specific 10mm or 8mm outlets and that no step-down adapter will be needed when the leisure-vehicle has 8mm-diameter pipework. The following links suggest that the standard Clesse regulator still has a 10mm outlet that would need 'reducing' to attach to 8mm pipework, but who knows?

http://www.clesse.co.uk/Page5284.htm

http://www.socal.co.uk/66/16343

I believe that, when Gaslow marketed the Cavagna 30mbar regulator, it was sold with an appropriate screw-on extension fitting according to whether 8mm or 10mm pipework was involved, so perhaps the same ploy is used with the Clesse product.

Archived