Help! - puppy and motorhoming advice needed

Rapido-lass

Help...........I must be mad.......!

We have an addition - 2 new puppies due home next month, swelling our pack to 4 (the other 2 both started motorhoming as adult dogs). Although we are used to dogs and training over the years, it is a first to puppies and motorhoming combined. Any help and suggestions for an easy transition to not trashing his pride and joy in the puppy stage would be great.

We will be having our first proper expedition at Easter.......... and I wish to survive it along with the motorhome!

Mystic Ted forecasts lots of

late night walks round the site encouraging the little mites to do their bedtime business and early morning walkies to do their wake up business in both cases with copious supplies of baggies to enable you to bag it and bin it.

The secret while away is walk the legs of the little fluffy bundles so that they sleep while you have your fun, if you the energy for it.

Before you get away make sure that they are used to their travel arrangements and spending time in the van with the engine running to help them get used to all these strange things and happenings, a long walk before the journey starts, lots of stops en route and don't leave them alone in the van unless securely caged.

Good luck

Docted

My dog has been motorhoming since she was about 4 months old. At that time she was prone to car sickness so we took the vet's advice as to travel sickness pills but fortunately she never had to take them. She always travelled in a cage which she had slept in at home. We went away as soon as the rabies result came back and then had to stay in France until she was allowed back in this country. Of course she was well protected from the other diseases so could go for walks. Never had any trouble with her except a reluctance to go to the loo anywhere but her own garden. This meant lots and lots of frustrating stops (for nothing!). Two dogs may be a different story of course because they tend to play up more and out do one another chewing things!

Just had a thought - quite a few campsites are refusing people with more than two dogs so you may need to make sure of a booking now.

Good luck anyway. Bet you'll have lots of visitors to your 'van.

Rapido-lass - 2009-01-30 4:43 PM

Thanks for the advice, please keep it coming.....

Very good point on sites and number of dogs - I'll have to check up on that.

Where do you manage to fit cages in the motorhome? Have you had to adapt and make your own?

I have the Auto-Trail Cheyenne 635 with the rear shower room so the cage (only just!) fitted in there. Bit of a squeeze to use the loo especially when we had a bit larger cage as she grew older. Always travelled by the short sea route when she was small but no problem now.

Some people on the site we are on in Spain have just adopted a stray puppy they found on the beach.. they have had it checked out, jabbed and chipped by a local vet and are now introducing it to themselves, their van and their 4 year old dog they brought with them!

They are out walking either one or both dogs for 20 hours a day to get them happy with each other! Fortunately the new pup has taken to their van and them. No wonder! One day living rough on a beach the next cabined up in a motorhome with warmth, food and company. It must think all its' birthdays and christmases have come at once!

They will have to put it in quaranteen when they get back to the UK, but are hopeful that by then it will be okay. It's first "trip" in a vehicle will be when they drive off this site!

Now that's what I call taking a gamble! :-D

I am a real softy when it comes to animals but they may have given themselves a real problem. For a start that the last case of rabies in France came from a dog that had been, I think, abandoned in Spain. They will also have to go through France which probably need an import licence etc. Hope all goes well for them but it is certainly an expensive rescue mission. I'd probably have been tempted too though!

Hi

I would definately cage them even if it means having to crawl over the cages when you get on site until you can re-site them somewhere -an awning room may give you much needed extra space. Our two dogs travel on cushions wearing harnesses so that if in the event of a crash or sudden break they would not fly forward, but when we go shopping or out for a meal we get the cage out from under the bed and in they go - always well tired as our holidays centre around walks and hiking. The reason for this is that a) they can't get into mischief, as there is just not the same amount of play room space in the van that there is at home and, b) should someone try to come too near the van they won't actually be able to see the dogs or know what size they are or whether they are loose or caged - only hear the "big dog" bark, as all the blinds are closed.

Picking up on the amount of dogs allowed at campsites, in France it is generally 3 dogs, however my friend who has 6 and lives in France said that off season they are generally more lax so long as you pick your site and let them know in advance. The other thing about transporting dogs in motorhomes that I read was that it was illegal to house them in the garage area of a motorhome although I have seen several which have had custom built cages in them.

Hope you enjoy the new additions wherever you go :-)

OMG!!!! Yup ... you are definitely and utterly MAD!!!! 8-) Oh what fun you're gonna have! :D

What breed are they? Are the little tykes that will always be so, or are they going to grow into hairy great monsters?

I'd certainly invest in a crate for them, either a lightweight metal one, or one of the material type ones, and possibly a playpen so that they can potter about without leads on.

The crate/cage will do to keep them secure whilst travelling, give them a bed for day and night time and also means that when you leave the van to go out you can put them in there and know they won't get up to any mischief!

We've got a metal crate and a material one too, the metal one from a charity shop for £5.99 and the other from a market stall for £5.00, both as new, so you don't have to pay the earth for them. Get them used to using the crate/cage normally though so that they don't get worried when you put them in, use it as their normal 'space' at home, feed them in it, put them in it on a night etc, so they think it's 'their' nice place to be.

As for toilet training etc .... I foresee lots of sleepless nights getting up to let them out. With our little monster (4 months when we got her), we had to do this for a while but she soon got the hang of it - she wasn't trained when we got her! We used to encourage her to go outside and do her stuff then give her a treat for being a good girl, it rewarded her for performing and also made sure she came in quickly so we didn't end up shouting at 4.00 am to get her in!

In the motorhome, if you haven't got a flyscreen with a solid bottom half (you don't want 2 puppy shaped holes in), I'd look to make some sort of barrier to prevent the little darlings getting out so you can have the door open when the weather is nice. Ideally I'd try to put this a foot or so in from the door itself to give you space to climb into the van and close the outer door first before moving the barrier, it's amazing how quick they can be and will soon be past you and escaping to freedome before you realise it. *-)

We've never had a problem with dogs in vehicles and so long as you start taking them out regularly you shouldn't have a problem with them being travel sick - try not to travel just after they've had a meal though, just to be safe.

dogcage.jpg.f89161459765c080fc430c159831a885.jpg

dogcage2.jpg.53f5c49894bba1c4159137c2afd0962e.jpg

441495592_dogplaypen.jpg.1f29fdc5f903466f16b87189cfef440c.jpg

Patricia, what's this "import licence" needed for France? How will the French know how many dogs they have and where they came from, if they are in their van? There are people from all over Europe on this site we are on and the vast majority have dogs, and cats, with them. Some have even been to Morrocco with their pets and were never asked at Spanish customs about animals when they got back.

They know about the UK restrictions but I don't think they do about France, could you give me more info to pass on please.

Thank you all for your tips and help.

Yes I am mad! but hey I'm sooo excited and can't wait!!

I will try and post some pics so you can see exactly what I've let myself in for and yes they will be big and hairy. They (the older ones and puppies) are all Belgian Shepherds, 2 different varieties. I have a 17 year old Tervueren bitch (since a puppy), a 4 1/2 year old Groenendael dog (adopted as he had been abandoned) and the puppies - 1 Tervueren, 1 Groenendael both bitches and were both born in December last year and due home this month!!!

Tomo3090 - 2009-02-01 10:46 AM

Patricia, what's this "import licence" needed for France? How will the French know how many dogs they have and where they came from, if they are in their van? There are people from all over Europe on this site we are on and the vast majority have dogs, and cats, with them. Some have even been to Morrocco with their pets and were never asked at Spanish customs about animals when they got back.

They know about the UK restrictions but I don't think they do about France, could you give me more info to pass on please.

Yes, I'm intrigued by that staement too :-D My understanding was that you can travel anywhere in Europe with your dog providing it has a 'Pet Passport' with all current jabs recorded & signed by the vet. Following the Shengin agreement there is no controls at any borders now, at least in the Eastern EU countries there isn't and they are evn dismantling the old customs buildings and removing the 'look out' towers.

The only additional requirement for entering UK with a dog is that not only must you have the rabies jab, but you MUST have the letter confirming that the jab has been successful (Since about 1% of rabies jabs do not work)

Losos - 2009-02-01 9:21 PM

Tomo3090 - 2009-02-01 10:46 AM

Yes, I'm intrigued by that staement too :-D My understanding was that you can travel anywhere in Europe with your dog providing it has a 'Pet Passport' with all current jabs recorded & signed by the vet. Following the Shengin agreement there is no controls at any borders now, at least in the Eastern EU countries there isn't and they are evn dismantling the old customs buildings and removing the 'look out' towers.

The only additional requirement for entering UK with a dog is that not only must you have the rabies jab, but you MUST have the letter confirming that the jab has been successful (Since about 1% of rabies jabs do not work)

I have sent a pm to both Tomo and Losos because this is now going off thread but just to explain briefly. Import licences are no longer required as all the countries have pet passports now. However, countries do have their own particular regulations and the post concerned a puppy coming from an unknown source so it will be viewed more suspiciously than one coming from the UK which is known to be rabies free.

The Schengen treaty covers movement of people not animals and some countries did not sign it e.g. the UK and Ireland while some countries outside the EU did sign e.g. Switzerland. Even so all these countries retain their own specific regulations regarding dangerous breeds for instance and the validity period of vaccinations. The puppy will have to visit a French vet even if not stopped at border patrols (which it almost certainly won't be) and it will depend on whether all the documentation and rabies protection procedures whether he is happy for the dog to continue to the port. French vets are much stricter in their interpretation of the passport regulations and they will want to see the blood test results. After 21 days animals can enter France whereas six months is needed before entering the UK. The import of stray animals from Spain has become a problem for the French and certain charities have set up to save these animals. At the same time they are very nervous about rabies being brought into the country. As the EU expands they are becoming more anxious as rabies still exists in Eastern European countries so they are having to increase the vaccination of wild animals, particularly in the north. There are two other requirements Losos to enter the UK and that is the worm and tick treatments. You also forgot to mention the six month wait after the result of the blood test.

• 1 month later...

For anyone who is interested, both puppies are now home and causing chasos! Seriously they have been accepted by the other 2 and are now well and truely part of the pack. Once they have had all their vaccinations we'll be able to take them motorhoming!

I'm going to try and put a photo on, so fingers crossed as previous attempts have all failed!

1212939122_TiaLily-02_03.09007.jpg.542905ef29659ec0f2ed5b2be43707a9.jpg

1804331492_TiaLily-02_03.09007.jpg.42dbe031b32d4a07a7296e5c96720a9a.jpg

The puppies look absolutely adorable. However, I have just looked to find some information on this breed and, gosh, aren't they going to grow!! They will both be about three times the weight that mine should be (but isn't!) and very big. How will you all get in the m/home? When you asked further up the thread where to put the cage I was thinking of my puppy cage which just, and only just, fitted into the toilet room in my Cheyenne. I must say that I envy you though - have fun!!

At the risk of sounding like an old fart BUT WHY would you want to travel about with 4 dogs seems like a lot of hard work to me ..4 dogs no thanks all that breaking wind and night noises and things ......but then I suppose the dogs will get used to it.

Thanks for your comments, The puppies are doing really well, however, sadly I had to let my 17 year old go to sleep in my arms. She is missed by both us and the dogs. I'm so pleased that both puppies had a short time with her, she was a very special dog.

841264262_ZoeLily-28_02.09014.jpg.63631a0ec731a19d50f978615fe7d8ad.jpg

1711755861_ZoeLily-28_02.09014.jpg.10258c2ddea79a51363048c843f1120c.jpg

1720172655_ZoeLily-28_02.09014.jpg.ff422bcc4a7d4f2580c91b4c7bb04f3f.jpg

1504958198_ZoeLily-28_02.09014.jpg.49e80e3cd27d0101c001c69b42ff9202.jpg

Archived