Price of LPG

sooty10

Pump prices for Autogas still include an amount for Fuel Duty.

It is perfectly legal to fill your cooking gas tank with non duty paid gas. The problem is finding an outlet. Those with domestic LPG powered heating systems and a big tank pay closer to 35P per litre when they are re-filled.

Its cheaper than heating oil.

C.

Hi,

The price of LPG makes the refillable systems very attractive.

I have been building up and installing a Gaslow twin bottle system with changeover valve for a few weeks. Today, I went to buy the last item I needed - the filler hose kit.

Before Xmas these were available at £ 58.00. There are now £ 75.00.

In addition the 6Kg bottles have gone from around £ 90 to £ 120 and the 11Kg from aound £100 to £135!

These repesent price hikes of between 25 to 35%. What's going on? Don't Gaslow know about this recession or does an almost monopoly situation mean that they can take the Michael out of their loyal customers?

Bob Wild

P.S. Anyone got a second hand filler kit they want to sell?

Clive - 2009-01-31 6:01 PM

Pump prices for Autogas still include an amount for Fuel Duty.

It is perfectly legal to fill your cooking gas tank with non duty paid gas. The problem is finding an outlet. Those with domestic LPG powered heating systems and a big tank pay closer to 35P per litre when they are re-filled.

Its cheaper than heating oil.

C.

Our heating oil was 31p/l last week, must remember to organise a fuel protest, it's much to cheap :D

zbobwild - 2009-01-31 8:29 PM

Hi,

The price of LPG makes the refillable systems very attractive.

I have been building up and installing a Gaslow twin bottle system with changeover valve for a few weeks. Today, I went to buy the last item I needed - the filler hose kit.

Before Xmas these were available at £ 58.00. There are now £ 75.00.

In addition the 6Kg bottles have gone from around £ 90 to £ 120 and the 11Kg from aound £100 to £135!

These repesent price hikes of between 25 to 35%. What's going on? Don't Gaslow know about this recession or does an almost monopoly situation mean that they can take the Michael out of their loyal customers?

Bob Wild

P.S. Anyone got a second hand filler kit they want to sell?

Hi Bob, no Gaslow aren't taking the proverbial, well no more than any other equipment supplier. The reason for the price increases is simple, the pound is doing rather badly at the moment against almost every other currency going which makes importing goods costly (and almost everything you might want for your motorhome is imported). Many of our prices are about to go up because of this. We've done our best to limit price increases by cutting profit margins but there is a limit to how much businesses can absorb and stay liquid.

D.

davenewell@home - 2009-01-31 8:56 PM

Hi Bob, no Gaslow aren't taking the proverbial, well no more than any other equipment supplier. The reason for the price increases is simple, the pound is doing rather badly at the moment against almost every other currency going which makes importing goods costly (and almost everything you might want for your motorhome is imported). Many of our prices are about to go up because of this. We've done our best to limit price increases by cutting profit margins but there is a limit to how much businesses can absorb and stay liquid.

D.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply a I take your point but???

Where does Gaslow stuff come from?

No doubt we can't make stuff like this anymore.

Are you a Gaslow dealer yourself?

No problem with dealers making a reasonable profit. All the dealers seem to just apply the Gaslow RRP - no competition there. I still suggest that it is Gaslow being greedy.

Is there any alternative to Gaslow for bottles, fittings etc. I do recall seeing another company at last years NEC show but I can't remember the name. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

zbobwild - 2009-01-31 10:16 PM

D.

Hi Dave,

No problem with dealers making a reasonable profit. All the dealers seem to just apply the Gaslow RRP - no competition there. I still suggest that it is Gaslow being greedy.

Is there any alternative to Gaslow for bottles, fittings etc. I do recall seeing another company at last years NEC show but I can't remember the name. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

I'm guessing that was MTH who I believe have gone bust, as clive says there are alternatives, i.e. fitting fixed tank or staying with calor, so yes they do have competition with gas storage.

zbobwild - 2009-01-31 10:16 PM

D.

Hi Dave,

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob, yes we are now Gaslow dealers but there is a very tight profit margin on the kits for us. I used to fit the Stako made steel cylinders from MTH (also available from Autogas 2000 in Thirsk) but its become increasingly difficult to find them in the UK as most dealers have switched over to the Alugas cylinders. Underfloor bulk tanks from Stako are still readily available. The Alugas are lightweight but don't have a float gauge which was one of the advantages of the Stako cylinders.

D.

The Gaslow filler-kit is advertised for £60 on

http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/refillable_cylinders.html

Richard Cecil (of MTH Autogas fame) once told me that Gaslow refillable cylinders were manufactured in Portugal. Don't know a) if that was correct or b) even if it was then, that it is now.

It is possible to measure the gas-level accurately in Alugas cylinders - though not cheaply. See:

http://www.vanmeenen.com/LPG-autogas-Vlaanderen/lpg-camper-motorhomes/alu/gas-level-indicators.pdf

Derek Uzzell - 2009-02-01 9:10 AM

The Gaslow filler-kit is advertised for £60 on

http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/refillable_cylinders.html

Richard Cecil (of MTH Autogas fame) once told me that Gaslow refillable cylinders were manufactured in Portugal. Don't know a) if that was correct or b) even if it was then, that it is now.

It is possible to measure the gas-level accurately in Alugas cylinders - though not cheaply. See:

http://www.vanmeenen.com/LPG-autogas-Vlaanderen/lpg-camper-motorhomes/alu/gas-level-indicators.pdf

Except that being held in place magnetically is difficult with aluminium cylinders :-S I suppose you can just hold the device in place.

D.

"All the dealers seem to just apply the Gaslow RRP - no competition there."

That is often the case with many products and the reason is simple, most suppliers who also sell direct to the public don't want to be undercut by people they are supplying so often ask their dealers to not undersell them.

D.

Thanks for the comments Dave and others,

It does explain a little about the cost of bits a pieces from dealers. I guess there isn't the commercial "free for all" we have got used to with domestic appliances.

Still looks like we could do with a bit more competition out there from the suppliers and manufacturers.

Also thanks, Derek, for pointing me in the direction of Audbies.

Looking forward to using cheap LPG. (35-45p per l.)

Have been paying around £16 for a small 6 Kgm. bottle of propane (Calor) lately,which seems to last only a week or two.

Cheers

Bob

Derek Uzzell - 2009-01-31 6:31 PM

A couple of weeks ago I joined the Countrywide Farmers Autogas scheme Don mentions.

The LPG price per litre (EX-VAT) quoted on the acceptance letter sent to me was 41.8p. However, as I've yet to use the system I don't know what VAT-rate will be applied.

As long as you told Countrywide it is for motorhome use in cooking and heating it will be 5% If you did not tell them they will assume it is for engine use and charge the same as supermarkets at 15%. Check your first bill and if it is incorrect, tell them and they will issue a credit and adjust your account.

davenewell@home - 2009-02-01 9:30 AM

"All the dealers seem to just apply the Gaslow RRP - no competition there."

That is often the case with many products and the reason is simple, most suppliers who also sell direct to the public don't want to be undercut by people they are supplying so often ask their dealers to not undersell them.

D.

thats called price fixing D me ansum, and is illegal.

fred

Archived