Greece.

skottle

Hi All,

We are planning to go to Greece in August. Dover Calais and need to stop at Baden Baden, very flexible on route other than that.

We would really appreciate any suggestions, tips or advice from anyone who has done a similar trip.

Thanks in advance,

Les

Guest JudgeMental

There has been a bit of chat recently re Greece...try a "search"?it should produce info.

have you booked your ferry from Italy yet? as this gets booked up......at least the cheaper camping on deck in your own van option does.

hoping to do this summer 2010 :-D but the heat puts me of a bit......

Guest JudgeMental
skottle - 2009-02-01 4:08 PM

We are hoping to drive the long way!!!

Blimey! your brave.....

I did it in my 20's lol but that was through a unified Yugoslavia. Someone will be along soon to advise, but cost and insurance will be issues and probably safer on a ferry.

I have done this trip loads of times as we live in Greece, even the Yugoslavia way before the trouble started. Now you would have to go through Hungary and Bulgaria. Nowhere near the sea and you could not come down the Eastern Adriatic coast because Albania would be in the way. It is definitely better to come via Italy into Greece. We found that the ferry from Ancona to Patras is the best and camping on board is very good, although in July and August you would need to book. If you want a longer way then drive down to Bari and cross to Igoumenitsa and drive across to Northern Greece or down the Peloponese.

Greek campsites tend to be quite expensive especially in high season and dont expect European standards. They are quite basic but adequate.

Archived