Stabilising jacks or screw type rear steadies?

cask

Hi,

Has anyone tried stabilising jacks, similar to the drop down type in CAK tanks catalogue?

How do they compare practically with the screw down type?

I will be fitting them to a Swift Bolero on the chassis rails.

Many thanks,

Andrew

A jack is a jack, i.e. designed to lift a vehicle.  A steady is a steady, i.e. designed to stabilise a vehicle, but not to lift it.  I assume CAK may sell both types, so I'm afraid you'll need to be a bit clearer which you are referring to.

Our van has drop down steadies that are first adjusted by hand, and then tightened into place with a screw mechanism.  Are these what you are referring to?

Hi Brian,

The "jacks" are "stabilisers" that fold down from a spring loaded detent and are adjusted with a small bar untill they contact the ground. They are rated at a steadying load of 450kg per jack according to the CAK catalogue (page 96).

They are not meant to be used to lift the motorhome.

I hope this helps,

Andrew

The drop down vertical ones tend to change an up and down or rocking movement as you walk about into a faster side to side movement/vibration as the jacks are not really stopping any lateral movement. I would imagine the caravan type steadies would reduce any sideways movement. However i do find them beneficial in stopping rocking in the wind and helping to get that final bit of levelling. Very rarely use them now though but have found they help stop you sinking in Mud, not so much because they are taking weight off the wheels, but they stop the rocking on the tyres/wheels that cause the wheels to slowly work there way into the mud.

OK, thanks.  If you van troubles you by bouncing or wobbling, especially in wind, then steadies are worth considering.  However, as Brambles says, they are not all that useful generally.  We have used ours on a handful of occasions, but if they hadn't been fitted as standard, I wouldn't bother retro-fitting them.  Truth is, they are a bit of a fag to deploy and retract, and prone to being forgotten when you drive off!  The vertical type, provided they lower and retract in the direction of travel, and also provided they are free to swing through 180o (or nearest) are probably the safest, because if you do forget nothing gets damaged, they just fold back and drag along behind you!  The caravan type screw jacks, if forgotten, seem much more likely to do damage - at the very least to themselves.

Andrew

The "stabilising jacks" marketed by CAK are made by the American company Atwood. They are broadly similar in concept to the ones fitted as standard to Brian's Hobby (and to mine), but their method of tensioning and releasing is, in my opinion, much less satisfactory.

I've never used the rear steadies on my own motorhome, but it is very evident how robustly they are attached to the chassis. The CAK-sold steadies will probably be a lot easier to retro-fit than the scissors-type commonly used on caravans, but (in either case) you'd need to ensure that the mounting-points are very sturdy and as close as possible to the sides and/or rear of the vehicle to facilitate operation and maximise the stabilising effect. (I recall seeing drop-down steadies on an Explorer Group NEC show model that were positioned so far 'inboard' that operating them would have involved sprawling full-length beneath the vehicle.) If there is any doubt over the strength of the mountings, or over whether it's going to be easy to operate the steadies, then I suggest you don't bother fitting them.

I think I would go for screw types because they are easily adjustable.

Our Rapido has none adjustable ( click / ratchet fixings) and a re a pain to use. What tends to happen is that the rear wheels sink slightly, leaving the chassis supported on the jacks ( not a great weight ) BUT the jack has to be extended slightly to release it.

So its either dig a hole, drive forward slighty so the rear wheel is out the rut (NOT a good idea) or jack the rear up.

Rgds

I agree with Tony's view - if there is the choice of the drop-down Atwood-type of stabiliser or the screw-down caravan-type then the latter would be preferable.

Not sure how easy it would be to retro-fit screw-down stabilisers to a motorhome not originally designed to take though. My Herald had hefty dedicated brackets on the chassis to accept screw-down jacks, but I never identified which particular make of jack Herald had used and none of the products in caravan accessory shops would have fitted.

I recently fitted a pair of Atwood steadies to a transit based conversion (Burstner), I fabricated a couple of simple brackets to mount them to the rear of the Transit chassis and they worked a treat, simple to deploy and tension (10 seconds a side) and just as easy to close up. I was so impressed I'm going to fit a pair to my own conversion.

D.

Archived