slow kon tiki

clay

just changed from a autosleeper to a 97 kon tiki, great van only disapointment is the engine. it is a pug 2.5td . the vehicle seems lead footed, slow to pick up untill the turbo kicks in then she will cruise at 60, struggles above that she pulls up hills better than my old talisman 2.5 non turbo but still neads a lot of gear work to keep speed up. it has a prob. where she struggles to reach temp but i have heard this is common , so i have covered the grill for now. is this what i get out of this engine, i am sue someone knows better. :-S

Hi Clay, and a very warm welcome too! Not sure how long your new Kon Tiki might have been standing idle before you bought it, but I know our Bessacarr of similar weight and engine (Fiat 2.5tdi cat) gradually got better and better the more we used it. It had been standing for about 12 months, and had very little use in the year before that.

One other tip (hope you don't mind me suggesting it) - suggest you change the brake fluid, as our brakes were pretty spongey too until we had that done. Oh, and check the timing belt has been changed fairly recently, too.

Our Bessacarr has max weight of 3400kg and bowls along very nicely at up to 80, with 55-60mph a very happy cruising speed.

Suggest you get a garage to have a look at the waste gate valve, they tend to stick shut so that when the engine gets it's revs up the turbo pressure builds and with the valve being stuck it won't go any faster so that it doesn't blow up. We had this problem on a 1991 1.9TD - the owner said it wouldn't go above 60 mph, when the waste gate valve had been 'released' it did over 70 mph no problem at all.

thanks all, i have thought of the breaks but she seems to roll well in neutral, it also crossed my mind that the turbo may be a prob. and i will get this checked out, by the way the max weight is 3400k. any other ideas would be welcome

Clay,

According to a 1996 Which Motorcaravan test-report the 2.5TD Peugeot motor produced 103bhp @ 4200rpm and 233Nm @ 2200rpm, which should provide pretty reasonable performance in a 3400kg vehicle.

It would be worth checking the state of the air-filter, as a dirty filter will suffocate a motor badly. If that's OK, then (as Mel B suggests) a visit to a garage would be sensible. If you can find a motorhome dealer with experience of vehicles with this motor, they may be able to give you an instant diagnosis of whether or not your engine is well down on power. The only sure way of assessing a motor's output is by measuring it via a dynamometer. TB Turbo at Lancaster used to be able to do this, but, now that they have ceased trading, I don't know of anywhere else with the facilities to handle motorhomes.

A turbo diesel will seem 'flat' off-boost, but well over 60mph should be possible in this case. The WM test I mentioned above was for a 3200kg Pilote A-Class and a comfortable cruising speed of 60-65mph was quoted, with a "Maximum speed attained" of 80mph-plus and a fuel consumption of 22mpg.

• 3 months later...

Two easy checks here; If the waste gates stuck you will get a red warning light up on the dash on overboust. Have you noticed this.

Secondly check hoses between turbo and cylinder head for a split indicated by an unusual oil or air mark. If intercooler is fitted inbetween, examine it for cracks.

I don't believe you've got an air mass meter or maff so your lucky there.

Good Luck,

Gordon...

again thanks for the help, part of the prob. could be sleepy van syndrome as it does seem to be getting better :-S last week i took her in to have a new cam belt fitted and they changed the belt and the hydraulic tensioners and at the same time gave her a bit of an overhaul inc. a clean bill of health for the water pump, only brought her back about 8 miles which includes a long incline from a standing start between junctions 35 and 36 m4. must say she now seems to be pulling better but time will tell. i will be away next week down around the english riviera so cannot wait to try her on a good run so if any of you get passed on an incline by a kon tiki doing 80mph give me a wave. (wishful thinking) (lol)

Archived