No wonder we go abroad

Guest Paul

I have just read the letters pages in this months MMM one of which highlighted the pathetic attitude of Redcar and Cleveland Council who are frightened to death about the possibility of car washers using their water if the council provided facilities for motor homers. What a paranoid attitude but how typical of this country. Personally I gave up on touring in the UK after my first year of motorhoming [4 years ago]. Now my whole year is planned around numerous trips to the continent where I spend well over 100 nights per year and where I stay on a mixture of Aires, Stellplatz and Camp Sites [I never wild camp]. Consequently I spend a lot of money in Europe some of which could be spent here. I used to be a member of both big clubs now I stay with the Caravan Club only simply to use their "free" vouchers, otherwise I never pay their high prices. Yes I am aware of and have used their CL net work but many of these are miles from any where and we like to walk into a town or large village. I would actually like to spend more time touring in the UK and wonder if I am unusual in my attitude and touring habits - I think I must be because although I see many Brits aboard I am sure there would be many more if they too discovered the real freedom enjoyed in France and Germany in particular. Any comments anyone?

couldnt agree more paul, we used to stop at burnham on sea at least five times a year, along the sea front.(no houses near by) and we spent plenty, local somerfield, fuel on the way home, breakfast in the caf'e (£10) shoes from the local shop and electrical goods, plus numerous coffees, but now there is a four hour time limit on the sea front, plus any motorhome longer than 4.8 meters, (thats a handfull of romahomes then?. are not allowed to park. in all fairness though the council have made some m/home spaces on the main car park, although they are only car width, so to m/homes side by side can't open the doors to get out, and usualy in the summer the bays are full of cars, did e-mail the council on the two points above, and they said that they were going to widen the bays and ticket all the cars, this was for last season.(they lied) consequently we only went once last year. pete

Guest David Powell
No Paul, there is nothing wrong with your attitude nor touring habits. It is the sad state of the minds of British city and town councils and retailers that chase away British motor homes, so off they all go to better countries, where they are all welcomed, and of course take all their cash and flexible friends with them. Down in the valley from us is one of the biggest enterprise parks in Europe with shops galore and free parking for thousands of CARS, but height barriers on all the entrances. Typical sad British attitude, and at the same time they are all moaning about lack of sales. Nothing wrong with your touring habits Paul.

For health reasons we can only go away for 90 days at a time twice a year But have spent a few winters touring Spain & Portugal There you will find restrictions imposed by several site operators on washing vans on site Thet claim that you use too much water if you wash the whole van We get over it by washing one panel at a time

Guest trigrem
I agree Paul, we do the same, every year usuall 4 to 6 weeks at a time. I take the attitude if local authorities want to stop us from entering their towns and spend money with local traders then I together with many others will go elswhere. We do however spend shorter periods in the UK, where we try to stay on campsites that are within walking distance of towns/villages, or have public transport nearby. But obviously we do not spend as much because we are only there a short time and have usually taken the provisions with us.

Guest peter goddard
I agree with all the above and we are off to the Continent again in March for 6 weeks. But if you think this country is bad try Ireland, we did for three weeks last year, never again, if I am going to spend a couple of K I’ll do it where we get a welcome.

Archived