Sat Nav - views please on Tom Tom systems

Mel B

Hi guys

Hubby is looking to get a new sat nav system, we currently have a PDA (Mio) with Tom Tom software on but Tom Tom are not going to do the mapping for these any more so we're having to change.

He's been looking at the Tom Tom One and the variant of it (XL) and also the Tom Tom Go 530/730 etc.

Due to the vast amount of extra POIs etc which can be installed on Tom Tom systems he'd rather stay with that than change to another software.

The only thing he would really like to have is the RDS type auto road updates, ie giving info on road closures, traffic jams etc.

Anyone got these? Any comments, good or bad would be appreciated.

Ta muchly.

:-D

I have a TT Go live with europe mapping. It has a hard drivr so no need for cards, and the live update gives you the latest route information re jams etc. Can't fault it. Especially good with lane information at motorway exits etc.

Porky well fed and happy with his little tom tom

Hi Mel B

After a (very) brief flirtation with a Garmin Nuvi that got me into all sorts of problem I changed it for the TomTom Go 720. I had previously used TT on a handheld PDA so was more familiar with the operation and software but have used the 720 here and overseas with a great deal of satisfaction.

David

I have a 10 month old Tom Tom One XL Europe and very much regret buying it. It was easy to use at first BUT after 4 months it stopped updating via my PC and the technical support from Tom Tom has been frustrating, long-winded and ultimately, utterly useless. I understand from the Web this is a not uncommon failing of this series of machine.

As the maps become more out of date, it is becoming downright hazardous as it causes confusion when I try to follow instructions only to find the road layout in front of me has changed. By the end of this year I will end up binning it and so will have wasted a lot of money compared to if I had just stuck with hard copy maps and yellow post-its on the dashboard.

Bob

Hi Mel,

I have a tom tom 910 and its a couple of years old now. I updated the maps last year it has its own hard drive, I downloaded all the camp sites for UK and aires in France find it great and would not be without it.I find the timings to the destination and the speed in kph in France very useful. To keep your sat nav up to date it has to be plugged in at least once a month to the computer to update the satalite positions so it can find them (gps fix) I do this via tom tom home. I also have map share on it so that it updates road junctions etc every time I connect up. the new 930t looks really good with its larger screen but is quite expensive. but would be my choice, when mine gives up the ghost.

regards Geoff

I bought the MIO 269+ around 4 years ago for about £300, not very friendly for importing POIs and did even crash a couple of times when in europe. Updating the MIO mapping software from their web shop was expensive and the new maps were around a year late when they finally did arrive.

So it was cheaper to buy a new TomTom, I bought the TT720 for £149 and as soon as I registered on their web page, it detected that my installed map was 10 months old for a newley purchased device, and offered new mapping free of charge - well I never I hear you say. After the terrible service offered by MIO - I was truely impressed with TT.

I put off buying new mapping for the first year - then the council dug up the road to put in a new bypass on the 419 at Blunsdon. Fearing I would never find my way home ever again, I purchased new maps for the 18month old TT, although the new road layout was not even finished, TT had included the alterations on the new mapping software - very very impressive. I am just waiting for the finish topcoat to go on the new road and I shall be able to get home for my tea :-|

Now - sit down for the rest of the story - Before my TT mapping could be updated for £39, I had to buy the previous years maps for another £39, so even with a mapping offer promo, I still had to pay £71.50. Well it was still cheaper than buying a new TT and a fraction of the cost of a new MIO, and I can get home for my tea easily now.

Regards Terry

I've recently bought the xl with traffic and am well impressed. I found that the free mapshare updates add quite extensive new info, to the extent that I'm not convincd new maps will be needed for quite a while.

I only paid 127 ish so am working on the theory that rather than shelling out for regular map updates, I'll just replace it with a new one in about 4 years time. It'll be knackered and physically out of date by then anyway. Perhaps more experienced users will shoot holes in this theory!

The more expensive models with the lane info sound very useful, but you'd need to get a lot of use to justify the extra.

I think the wider screen is well worth the extra, but haven't yet had enough experience with the "Traffic" to know if it's worth having.

We have a Tom Tom Go720, which is still available for as low as £119 plus vat, and we have had no problems whatsoever in fact I have only praise for it and Tom Tom's after sales service.

The advantage of buying one of these, despite it now having been replaced by two newer versions i.e. GO 730 and GO740, is that it comes with latest map guarantee and providing you go onto Tom Tom Home and update the 'Navcore' to the latest version you will then be offered the latest version 8 mapping that has the full features of the later models mapping including Advanced Lane Guidance and IR. This means that you will get virtually the same as the latest model at about a third of the cost.

I would thoroughly recommend my Tom Tom which in my opinion is far superior to both the Navman and the Garmin, both of which we have owned in the past. Also I would not buy the 'T' version as the RDS attachment is available seperately (and you can make sure you get the latest version that works as earlier versions didn't) at a hugely reduced cost, as low as £19 and just plugs in the same as the 'T' version.

The mear fact that the mapping is constantly updated free of charge with user alterations makes it worthwhile over the other makes.

Reading a previous post in this thread regarding having to buy two lots of maps to get the latest is curious as I have not had to buy any other maps other than the latest V8 and my mapping was only the one that was put on under the latest map guarantee when it was new and was at least three out of date.

Bas

I have had a 700 model for the last couple of years , would not change for any other model. It,s hard drive has enough memory for all the extra poi you would wish for. Low bridges , narrow roads, sites, aires ect. Look on ebay for many offers.

I, too, have a TomTom One XL Europe. Great to use but I cannot update. The hard drive is full from the outset. If I try to use a supplementary SD card I cannot make the TopmTom work. No where can I find out how to use the SD card. As soon as I put the SD card in with anything on it the device fails to work. Being a normal mortal I need to have this technical stuff spelt out for me and TomTom 'help' is useless for this. It/they do not even give a clue how to set about it. If I could resolve this problem I would be happy.

I have had 2 Tomtom xl first one fine, second one i have had no end of trouble and it has been sent back 3 times now but they say they cannot find anything wrong with it even though it turns off when going along in the car every time, to cut a very long story short the warrenty is worth nothing as they state that if they cannot find anything wrong then they cannot change it or refund even though i cannot use the thing as it turns off :'( >:-( i will never buy another tomtom as the warrenty is useless, i will be buying one of the satnavs the truckers use, next as it is far more propriate for the van as you can input the length and width of van ,

Wright RANT over 139 pounds down the drain just 4 months after i brought it ...

I use the TT720T, which has the RDS traffic information service - but it applies to UK only. The traffic information only applies on major routes covered by the monitoring cameras. I have found it useful in forewarning me of holdups on motorways and major traffic routes, allowing me to decide whether to re-route to avoid or just to accept the delay. I have no idea how reliable it is in terms of estimating the delay. I tend to use it when setting off for destinations where a significant delay would cause a problem - typically when travelling to a ferry port for a booked crossing.

Generally, I've found the 720 easy to use. I tend to use the "itinery planning" function for route planning. If you just ask it to "navigate to" it will take you down any road regardless of width if it is the shortest or quickest, depending on which you have chosen.

Hope this helps.

Richard.

JohnD - 2009-02-05 4:57 PM

I, too, have a TomTom One XL Europe. Great to use but I cannot update. The hard drive is full from the outset. If I try to use a supplementary SD card I cannot make the TopmTom work. No where can I find out how to use the SD card. As soon as I put the SD card in with anything on it the device fails to work. Being a normal mortal I need to have this technical stuff spelt out for me and TomTom 'help' is useless for this. It/they do not even give a clue how to set about it. If I could resolve this problem I would be happy.

I had exactly this problem with my Tomtom One XL Europe. I contacted Tomtom Support and received a detailed reply about which type of SD card to use (2 Gigabyte high speed) how to format it and then backup and download the application, maps etc. Following this was slow but worked correctly and I now run the device from the SD Card and have approx 1gb spare capacity. The Support Reference was 1090110-002501 which gave all the details. I am not sure if you will be able to access this from a different account but if you have a problem send me a Private Message with an address I can contact you at and I will send you a photo copy of the E-mails and Instructions.

I have had several different Satnavs over the years but this is one of the most accurate and easy to use so far. Mel Eastburn review of Satnavs in MMM recommended Tomtom.

Regards,

Mike.

Uncle Bulgaria - 2009-02-05 5:52 PM

I use the TT720T, which has the RDS traffic information service - but it applies to UK only. The traffic information only applies on major routes covered by the monitoring cameras. I have found it useful in forewarning me of holdups on motorways and major traffic routes, allowing me to decide whether to re-route to avoid or just to accept the delay. I have no idea how reliable it is in terms of estimating the delay. I tend to use it when setting off for destinations where a significant delay would cause a problem - typically when travelling to a ferry port for a booked crossing.

Richard.

This information is incorrect as I have had RDS information advising of hold ups on my route in both France and Germany, it provides any information that is supplied over the RDS radio network as with an RDS enabled radio, and does not just give information for major routes.

Bas

mike this one has no card in it as it does not take one, you see it has been wiped by them as well as me and the most up to date software has been reinstalled but still problem exists, i think it is a dry joint but all they do is put it on a pc and run subroutines that do not pick things like this up,

Bought my tomtom 1 V3 europe a couple of weeks ago as a belt and braces job for while we`re away in France later in the year,i`ve had a play with it and am pleased with what it is for the price (£89.99 off Amazon with free delivery)but would probably still check a map for routes....call me old fashioned

A little off topic - but what I'd really like is the ability to input destinations using OS map grid references, and to be able to see where I am in OS grid reference too.

Postcodes and degrees are ok if you know them, but often I just want to go to somewhere found on a map.

Does anyone have a fix for this? 8-)

Hi guys

Hubby has now bought a TomTom Go 520 off ebay as he had a voucher for 10% off to use before 12 Feb (his birthday), it's cost us £101 with postage and is only 3 weeks old! The chap who bought it has now changed his car and his new one has satnav built in so he didn't need it anymore. Hubby can't wait to get his new 'toy' now.

Thanks for your input, very helpful.

:-D

The Tom Tom has arrived today, nice unit, clear screen - I can even read it clearly without my glasses which is a bonus! We've tried the voice activation for addresses and it works a treat ... no doubt we'll be having a field trip at the weekend to do a bit more testing ... so long as the weather is good. *-)

sparts - 2009-02-05 5:25 PM

I have had 2 Tomtom xl first one fine, second one i have had no end of trouble and it has been sent back 3 times now but they say they cannot find anything wrong with it even though it turns off when going along in the car every time, to cut a very long story short the warrenty is worth nothing as they state that if they cannot find anything wrong then they cannot change it or refund even though i cannot use the thing as it turns off :'( >:-( i will never buy another tomtom as the warrenty is useless, i will be buying one of the satnavs the truckers use, next as it is far more propriate for the van as you can input the length and width of van ,

Wright RANT over 139 pounds down the drain just 4 months after i brought it ...

I agree with you. The inability to update my Tom Tom One XL Europe has now been exacerbated by a tendency to stop navigating and lock up with failure to track satellites, even on flat open terrain. I cannot rely on the machine and have to keep a back up hard copy route available at all times. Warranty is useless, tech support useless. Like you, I will never buy another Tom Tom.

Bob >:-)

Archived