Sat Nav - views please on Tom Tom systems

Mel B

I started touring europe with tom tom nav 3 on a PDA so i could use it on my motorcycle as well.

Problems i had was that the PDA`s died after 2 years very expensive.

I decided to buy the dedicated 910 tom tom with hard drive, ive used it all over Europe and in the Uk.

Comparing it with Road Angel, Garmin and navman its streets ahead with regard to ease of use, can also store up to 10gig of mp3 music. blue tooth hands free phone calls and even text messages while on the move.

Maps have to be upgraded, i do it every two years but keeping up with the french road building programme you need to.

Hard maps are ok for planning but actually getting you to the gates of the campsite are useless in my oppinion. lyon in rush hour sat nav wins every time.

Points of interest locations for garages and shops are very useful.

I had the same problem as sparts with my TT910 switching its self off when I first had it, there is avery small hole by the rear socket that you put a pin in to reboot it. I found that it tended to switch off in hot weather and thought it might be getting too hot so I made a holder for it that brings it away from the windscreen and has a sunshield to keep the sun off the back of it, I have not had a problem since. In order to keep the satalite positions current, I up date mine at least once a month using TT home on the computer for GPS fix. I use mine in conjunction with a good map, a hard copy in the cab is always a good back up in case Kate (the voice I use) has a hot flush and needs a rest ! I find it very handy at night when trying to find places in the dark.

:-)

P1010021.jpg.32c7fbeb3ed41e5e729e705cb44916db.jpg

Hola

I bought tom tom 1 europe 3 years ago here in Spain and it has a memory card

Have tried to update couple of times but as dont have broadband it is impossible to update.

First time took 6 hours before dropping out; second time two hours ;downloaded corrupt !!!

Ive even ended up in a village i couldnt get through in France plus ended up going wrong way up motorway road. Would not buy tom tom again.

Good luck

David an Ann >:-)

• 3 weeks later...

As a total newbie, first motorhome not being collected until April, I am worried sick that we may get stuck under a low bridge, Roller team 500 2.9m high, or try to go up a road that is too narrow due to traffic calming measures etc etc. (Dont mind making myself look a complete idiot but would prefer to limit better half's scorn, sarcasm & fits of laughter to acceptable level)

have looked at a number of previous threads on subject but would really appreciate up to date advice on best options

Thanks in advance

Bojitoes Bob

Hi Bojitoes and welcome!

Don't worry, so long as you have some common sense you will be able to avoid the possibility of a sat nav system taking you down an unsuitable road virtually all the time - remember it is there to AID your driving, not in place of using you using your brain which I think some people forget. On roads with low bridges etc you will see warnings of the bridge height before you end up going under it so shouldn't end up taking your top off unintentionally! Same goes for roads with 'artificially' restricted widths as these normally have signs as you turn into them to let you know. Similarly if you don't like the look of a road, don't take it.

We've been motorhoming sind 1996 (I think ... may be longer!) and in all that time we've probably only had a couple of 'questionable' roads each year and most of them were without sat nav!

The best thing you can do is when you get the 'van measure it carefully (don't trust the manufacturer's figures as they don't allow for extras such as awnings, aerials etc) and make yourself a big label with them on to stick somewhere in your cab, in both metric and imperial. I keep one clipped behind the driver's sunshield which I can then drop down at any time in case I come across a potential hazard and want to double check my 'size'.

We wouldn't be without our sat nav (hence this thread) as it does make life a lot, lot easier and safer.

BBC News is that Microsoft are taking legal action against Tomtom over software infringement and that Tomtom have posted a large trading loss. Will they carry on trading?

Not sure where this leaves Tomtom users like me especially if you pay for map and speed camera updates.

Regards,

Mike :-(

Having just purchased a Tom Tom I sincerely hope they keep going. I have become quite addicted to Google Earth and find the lat long facility is very useful for checking out where a site is in relation to its geography, especially towns and beaches etc. Not that I am a beach bum but usually they are good walking or cycling areas. Took me a while though to make sure I was using like for like in the type of lat/long used. Use different ones and you end up in completely the wrong place.

Why do we have different methods with different publications. ACSI use

d.d degrees ( dont know where degrees is on the keyboard ) All the Aires use d degrees m. m` Have found a useful website for converting lat long at

www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/gis/latlon.html

Porky well fed and happy playing with his little Tom Tom

To Geoff Cole.

Hello Geoff,

I remember that you made the Satnav holder in the picture and that this was published in one of the Motor Caravan magazines but cannot find it.

Could you please remind me what the holder was made from or, if you manufactured the units for sale, let me know how I could purchase one.

I notice that you attach the Tomtom to the holder using the suction mount but did you ever consider using a modified mount bolted to the holder to/from which the Tomtom could be attached/detached.

Regards,

Mike.

Porky,

The only reason TomTom have shown a loss is because they bought out TeleAtlas last year. Have a look at www.pocketgpsworld.com It gives all the information on there.

We had a Mio as our first SatNav and although it was very good, the upgrading wasn't. We replaced it nearly 2 years ago with a TomTom One XL and are very pleased with it, the only problem we have is when there are new roads and they are not on the mapping, but this would happen with whichever SatNav you have. We also use the Safety Cameras from PocketGpsWorld and not the TomTom ones.

Hi MIke,

I have replyed to your E-Mail, I missed this posting on Sunday. The holders are made from 5mm grey perspex and the suction cups on sat nav grip really well to them. It is possible to mount a modified mount to the holder,but I have designed this holder to take any make of satnav that has a suction mount .They are mainly designed for the base vehicles that have the document clip on the dashboard. If any one wants one of my sat nav holders they are available from Model tech Orchard walk Port Erin Isle Of Man 01624 836045 price £12.00 including P&P

Regards Geoff

Guest JudgeMental

Garmin do an adhesive plastic disk which you can stick on dashboard and window mount fits onto it. I am sure it would be suitable for TT window mount as well.

Well folks i have had a brand new tomtomm xl delivered from the netherlands today after much much hassle as stated earlier on in this thread, i had to threaten them with taking unit to independant engineers to assertain what was wrong with it, then take them to court for full refund, it worked faulty unit replaced, lesson learned never give in if you are in the right, tomtom warrenty is usless but hit them with a hammer and they bleed :->

Guest JudgeMental
sparts - 2009-03-04 8:30 PM

Well folks i have had a brand new tomtomm xl delivered from the netherlands today after much much hassle as stated earlier on in this thread, i had to threaten them with taking unit to independant engineers to assertain what was wrong with it, then take them to court for full refund, it worked faulty unit replaced, lesson learned never give in if you are in the right, tomtom warrenty is usless but hit them with a hammer and they bleed :->

And thats why I stick with Garmin........ if you buy from Halfords for instance they are instructed to swap a faulty Garmin unit but TT do not allow this and it needs sendng away to the Netherlands *-)

Plus Garmin freephone support is excellent :-D

JudgeMental - 2009-03-04 5:36 PM

Garmin do an adhesive plastic disk which you can stick on dashboard and window mount fits onto it. I am sure it would be suitable for TT window mount as well.

Hello Judge,

Have tried the adhesive plastic disk but the beauty of the Geoff Cole design is that it shields the satnav from direct sunlight and heat, which Tomtom seem to have a problem with, and is easy to remove without leaving a trace of its existence. I was not aware that a faulty Tomtom cannot be replaced by Halfords or presumably any other retailer. Is this legal under sale of goods act?

Regards,

Mike.

Guest JudgeMental
Mike Chapman - 2009-03-05 12:27 PM

Is this legal under sale of goods act?

Mike.

Probably not! By example last week I had a problem with my daughters Dell laptop. A few faults appeared and as it was coming up to 1 year old I thought I would get it repaired under warranty.

Dell said warranty started from when I ordered laptop? Err...... hang on, as they don't build till you order, I argued how can a warranty begin on a laptop that does not exist? and I did not receive it till 3 weeks later so warranty still valid for 3 weeks IMO

Dell were having none of it......... I contacted the CAB who sent me a template letter by email and advised to send to Dell registered mail. The next day we had an engineer’s appointment and the laptop was fixed a few days later with a home visit!

CAB advised it would not matter if it was beyond a year old as under the sale of goods act it was still considered “not of merchantable quality” or “fit for purpose” so you still have a claim........

Mike Chapman - 2009-03-05 12:27 PM ............ Is this legal under sale of goods act? Regards, Mike.

I think the answer to that is clearly no.  You buy from Halfords - or whoever - and it is the retailer who is liable for the faulty goods.  That is UK consumer law.  It is then for the retailer to argue with the supplier/manufacturer for recompense. 

If a TomTom supplied by Halfords is defective, it should go back to Halfords, and it is Halfords who have to repair/replace it within a reasonable time.  It would, nevertheless, be wise to ask before buying what their returns policy is. 

However, a navigator that won't navigate reliably is useless and, as one presumably buys them for use rather than as mantle-shelf ornaments, I think one would be legally entitled to reject the goods and demand one's money back.  If they protest don't fall for the "back to TomTom" routine, just go straight to Trading Standards, as Eddie did with Dell.  Their only get out would be if they gave you, and drew your attention to, a written notice clearly stating their policy - before accepting your money.

Hello Judge and Brian,

Thank you for the reply and information, that is what I thought the Sale of Goods Act legal position is.

I have not had to return the Tomtom as it has worked OK so far. I did buy a Michelin Tyre compressor from Halfords, back in November, that failed the first time I used it in anger and Halfords just exchanged it for a new one.

Presumably Michelin are better at replacement than Tomtom.

Regards,

Mike.

Archived