Charging batteries on the move.

Porky

I have done a search and read through all the obvious threads but can not find the answer. If my two 110amp hr leisure batteries become discharged to the level that they will not provide any supply how many hours driving approximately will it take to fully charge them assuming no further use in the meantime. My vehicle is an Autotrail Tracker EKS 3l auto. As a complete idjut in matters electrical I just need this as a guide as we would like to do far more stops away from sites. Maybe like many things it is not a simple answer, and may depend on speed etc.

Porky well fed and happy

The time taken will depend upon the revs, so both speed and gear used will effect it - the higher the speed and the lower the gear, the better. It will also depend on what else your alternator is powering, such as headlights, windscreenwipers, fan, etc. In practice, I should think a couple of hours normal driving, with no other drain on the alternator, should recharge them. With headlamps and wipers on you will probably have to double this time.

Anything from fast tick over upwards will charge the battery.

If your camping style is without hookups but you travel most days then you should not have any problems. If however you intend to stop without hookup for a week then travel for half a day you will have problems.

So explain your planned regime and we will try and be a little more constructive.

C.

Your split charging system is unlikely to provide more than 20 Amps charge rate so 2x110 completely flat need 220Amp Hours charge putting back in. 20 amps for 10 hours would be roughly equivalent to 200Amp Hours. This is a quick and dirty calculation because you're unlikely to get a full 20 Amps for the full duration of your journey plus there are other factors involved but for arguments sake you're looking at 10 hours plus of driving. Best not to completely flatten them in the first place.

D.

AS I understand it, once the vehicle battery is charged you will only get about a trickle charge to your leasure batterys, If you fitted a battery to battery charger this should all change, it should charge quicker, plus put more charge in the batteries, I and many other people have had them fitted with good results.

Not necessarily true.

Without doubt it is possible to force a greater charge into the leisure batteries with something like a Sterling unit. But if the conventional split charging is implemented with stout direct cabling and a quality relay and fuse then charging currents as described by Dave Newell are quite achievable. The conventional split charging also ensures that batteries are not overcharged or gassed excessively. And ITS SIMPLE !.

C.

As the vehicle in question is an Autotrail it will have a Sargent control unit in it, this unit also takes care of the leisure battery charging from the engine and can give up to around 20 Amps I believe regardless of the engine battery condition. This is because the Sargent controller incorporates more than just a simple split charging relay. Sargent controllers and Sterling B2B charger do not get on with each other at all so its definitely not worth thinking about fitting one in this case.

D.

Archived